SLC/Erudio SB'd debt need help to sort it out

Sorted321
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has had a similar problem or is knowledgeable about SLC & Erudio and their policies/processes.

Background:

I took out a student loan with SLC in 1997. My last payment from them was in January 1998 as I did not complete the course. The loan totalled around 1k. I never deferred the loan or paid off any of the debt and at the last count (around 2012) I still owed the debt and had accrued around £800 arrears. Fast forward to 2021 and I now wish to pursue an MA. I applied for student finance but was unable to secure it as I have a flag on my account due to arrears from this 1997 debt.

I contacted SLC and asked how much I owed and how much the arrears are now? I was informed that I will have to contact Erudio for all account information. I am happy to do so but I would like to have a bit more knowledge before I do, as I gather that Erudio are not a very nice company to deal with!

Please note: I do not have a copy of the original loan agreement and I do not know what the status of the account is with Erudio. They have never contacted me since the debt was sold in 2014. SLC have my current address but I have never had any correspondence.

What I would like to know is:

1.If I contact Erudio by telephone will I start the clock ticking again on what is a statute barred debt?

2.Will I be able to pay off the arrears and leave the original debt still owing and then defer on the original debt?

3. I have read that old-style student debt that I have is written off after 25 years - will I be able to have this debt written off once I have cleared the arrears? ( I earn under the 28k threshold & Sept 2022 will be 25 years from the date that I had the first loan payment

4. If I send the SLC a SAR, will they still have details of the original debt and how much I owed when it was sold to Erudio?

5. Once I have paid off the arrears/loan, how long does it take for the flag to be removed from my SLC record so that I can then access further student finance? 

I appreciate any advice regarding this matter.

Thank you for your help and let me know if you need further information.

BW, Sorted321 x

please don't contact erudio nor pay anyone anything!! they will fleece you blind.

the debt is statute barred as you've never defered since the 2013 sale to them.

it will sadly remain on student finance books forever.

there have been some success with pointing this out to SLC

Student Loan Statute barred - Student loans/SLC - Consumer Action Group

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

did you read that link i sent you?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes I did thank you. It answers some questions but not all of them. I have kind of accepted that I will have to give Erudio money should I wish to pursue further study (even though it will kill me).

I am now trying to get a handle on the situation before (and if) I contact them. Knowing how much I owe and what their processes are will be very helpful to me.

you certainly cant reset any sb clock by contacting anyone. it SB and once SB always sb'd

anything you might be thinking of paying or told to pay will go directly into the DCA's rear pocket for drinks or holidays .

Erudio should be informing SLC the debt is now written off so the flag gets removed.

the 'arrears' is a red herring.

and they

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. 

I was of the thinking that contacting a credit cane be seen as acknowledging the debt which will restart the clock re: limitation period.

I agree that Erudio should be informing SLC that the debt is written off as I am sure it is. However, I don't know what processes to follow and/or how to handle the situation with them...?  

i.e. should I speak to Erudio to confirm the account is written off?

How can I converse with the SLC?

Is there policies or precedents that I can follow? etc. etc. 

Can you shed any light on this? 

you cant reset an already SB'd debt.. as i said once SB ALWAYS SB'd not even a judge can unbar a debt once barred.

there is a 3 stage SLC Appeals proceedure as outlined in that other thread.

i suggest as you are rather 'green' to all this...with only 4 posts you get reading as many SLC threads here.

just remember the golden rules....

NO DCA (Erudio are a trading name of ARROWS DCA) have ANY legal powers on ANY debt , no matter what it's type.

and a DCA is most certainly NOT a BAILFF and can NEVER be one.

and they

Hi,

Again, thank you for your response. I have read the other thread and many many others but have not been able to glean concrete answers to some of my questions, hence the thread that I have started on here. With reference to the SB'd debt, can I have one question forgive me for asking if you have already answered it: If I contact Erudio in writing asking them how much I owe, will this action case the debt to no longer be statute barred? ie I have acknowledged the debt and the clock will start ticking again re: Statute of Limitations.

Also, the thread that you have referred me to does not answer the following questions as per my original post:

"2.Will I be able to pay off the arrears and leave the original debt still owing and then defer on the original debt?

3. I have read that old-style student debt that I have is written off after 25 years - will I be able to have this debt written off once I have cleared the arrears? ( I earn under the 28k threshold & Sept 2022 will be 25 years from the date that I had the first loan payment

4. If I send the SLC a SAR, will they still have details of the original debt and how much I owed when it was sold to Erudio?

5. Once I have paid off the arrears/loan, how long does it take for the flag to be removed from my SLC record so that I can then access further student finance?"

Is it possible to have these questions answered?

Again, thank you for your help and patience. I genuinely appreciate it x

40 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

you cant reset an already SB'd debt.. as i said once SB ALWAYS SB'd not even a judge can unbar a debt once barred.

not sure how many more time we've got to state the above...

as for your repeated questions...1-5...

no arrears exist to pay off and no original debt exists to 'defer' even if you do get scammed into paying someone free money on the fake promise the 'red flag' will be gone. it should be removed regardless to you bribing anyone.

you just have to find the right key, there is no one simple catch all method.

the 25yrs write-off doesn't work either with erudio as they'll then say you had/have arrears, that nulls the availability to write off @50yrs of age or 25yrs since last loan in the chain...whichever the soonest.

you could SAR slc but i don't think thats going to tell you anything you don't already know.

its the same with any bank, the debt might be SB'd but the debt is still and will remain , upon the OC's books. the only difference with this is it being SLC/Erudio..... is normally once a bank sell a debt on , it's gone off their books....Sadly SLC through the Gov't Sale conditions, retained administrative records, this was done to stop foriegn students repeated getting free education and running way then back again a few years later for more free education...

and they