Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

@tobyjugg2    There is a very bad stench coming from this Government.

An investigation into how PPE contracts were awarded will be interesting ?

While the spotlight is on Government, I suspect paid lobbying by MP's and Lords will be found in other parties represented in Parliament.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Ratcliffe Iran issue appears to be far more complex than information published has detailed

Why would Iran take this action against Ratcliffe ?

As for Boris and UK, this shows the weakness being an independent country with a reduced level of influence in the world.  If Ratcliffe was a French citizen, I wonder if they would be back home ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

See Governments latest rail plans are not what they promised North of England voters at the last election.

Not sure why Government were planning on spending such a huge amount on fast trains,.   How many people would pay much higher fares for a train that gets them to a destination say 20 minutes quicker ?  And with increase in working from home, there will be fewer users.  Part of the experience of a train journey is to relax, while looking out of the window or while reading a book.  So cutting journey times may not be as attractive to many railusers as Government believes.   Better to increase quality and availability of services.

@honeybee13 

Brexit going well and keeping Brexiteers happy on migration :)

The numbers crossing the channel only appear to be restricted by the weather.

And UK Government are not being helped by being Independent, as other countries probably now say, it is up to the UK as an independent sovereign country to resolve their own problems !

• I agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boris and Pritti are making it very difficult to reach any cooperation agreements with other countries.

Migration is a world problem and is not easily solvable. 

I am sure that many migrants are escaping terrible situations in their countries of origin, but there are also many migrants who are travelling to countries where they believe they would have a better qualify of life, to join family already resident etc.

UK Government have not taken the steps required for years.   There needs to be international cooperation to provide assistance to people, so they can find safety closer to their countries of origin  and where appropriate so they can join family members who have already settled in other countries.  

Because of Brexit and the politics that go with that, it is almost impossible to hold any debate about assisting migrants joining family that are already living in the UK.

• Like 1

very informative speech on migration by Lord Kerr in House of Lords.

• Like 1

The way Johnson behaves is not really appropriate for anyone holding any senior position. He acted in the same way when he was London Mayor.  Plays political games all of the time and he is not really bothered with whether policies actually help the people he says he wants to serve. 

• I agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

PM is probably looking behind their mop hair style to a Tory party that is increasing worrying that he has become a bit of a liability.

As Keir Starmer put it, "the worst PM at the worst time"!

Is this a bit unfair ?

PM wins election in 2019 to get Brexit done. Then by March 2020, UK/World hit by a pandemic and the PM nearly dies in Hospital.  Then has to make difficult choices considering public safety, freedoms and the economy.

Any Government in power at the time would be making mistakes.

Where I think the PM can be rightly criticised, is that they have not ensured that high standards of financial proberty have been maintained.  E.g.  PPE VIP fast track lane for contracts, apparent financial conflicts of interest leading to sleaze allegations.

Tory party having another internal war !

Boris is a great admirer of Churchill.

I can see Boris saying " we will fight them on the benches ".   Good thing Parliament is in recess at the moment :)

NEWS.SKY.COM

The tension in the WhatsApp group is a taste of the disquiet and anger among many in the Conservative Party after a torrid few weeks.

Thought Steve Baker was against the "cancel culture" ?

Will the usual awkward squad in the Tory party, who were hardliners on Brexit, who are against most Covid measures and who are against many of the Governments current policies, start to splinter into a separate party, rather than try to force Boris out ?

My guess is that most Tory backbenchers and most who voted Tory in 2019, do not want an extreme hard Brexit implemented,  and do not want  reduced employment rights, privatisation of parts of the NHS ,reduced regulatory standards etc.

General Election is due in 2024 and it is not very often a divided party is elected. 

Labour have a divided party, but ahead of an election, I suspect that they will come together as one party. I am not sure whether the Tories can unite behind a shared vision of the future for the UK.

Politics is the art of selling a turd sometimes ! Keeping enough people happy to stay in power.

Call it lies or call it a version of the truth or call it mis-direction by providing an answer that does not relate to the question.

It is all part of the game.  And Boris had a simple game, a bit like Trump, in provoking enough people to feel bitter about the state of the country which affected qualify of life. 

Boris is still using slogans for everything e.g. Build back better. The way Covid strategy has been sloganised and every PMQ's contains a list of slogan answers from Boris.

Problem with the game Boris is playing, is that slogans don't answer the important questions people have. 

Andrew Neil who lives in France says UK economy still like an EU country after BREXIT. Not really surprising, as no party in Government will be able bring about significant change for at least a decade in my opinion. And any significant change if it ever happens might be really unpopular such as reduced employment rights !

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

ANDREW NEIL: Surely it cannot have been the intention of those who fought so long and hard to take Britain out of the European...

There appears to be a slide towards authoritarian ways in many countries. In the US, there are mandatory requirements for many public sector workers to have Covid vaccinations.

• 3 weeks later...

Tweet from Caitlan Moran

"Poor f**king Sue Grey. With Johnson still refusing to admit that he knew it was a party, her job is, essentially, to look in Boris’s pants, and work out if he knows he’s shat himself - or if he genuinely thinks his own trousers are a toilet."

• I agree 1

Tory MP's will have to decide whether they can continue with Johnson. if it looks like there will be one scandal after another, which seems pretty likely, then I can see enough letters being received by the Chair of the 22 committee to trigger a leadership contest. And Johnson will not stick around to take part in this.

With the General Election due within 2 years, sensible MP's will be thinking they need to take action to rebuild trust with voters and that means a new leader.

The Keir Starmer issue is not new. Was raised in media after the Hartlepool by-election.

It was an evening election event in the local office and they stopped for a break for refreshments.

Agree with Sandy, that many people are fed up with all in powerful positions, who appear to be letting the country down at the moment.

A growing percentage of the public, are arguably more interested in social media influencers than politicians.  Walk down any hight street in the UK and ask people to name say 5 Government ministers and 5 Labour shadow ministers.  I don't think the scoring would be very high !

• Like 1

@tobyjugg2

How many inquiries were there during and after the last Labour Government ?

Seem to remember quite a few.

And Corbyn's Labour Party had a few issues, which made then unelectable.  I blame Corbyn for causing Johnson to win an 80 seat majority.

Keir Starmer has work to complete, to achieve a frontbench team with all of the best people Labour has available. Labour needs to offer am alternative that inspires people to vote for them. And they need to provide this ASAP.

And Tories need to remove the clown who would still not be funny in a circus.

@tobyjugg2

What have you possibly got against poor old Boris ?  Apart from the difficulty in being factual, PPE VIP fast track lane, some poor decisions on Covid that have caused UK to have Europes highest death toll.

All governments have problems.  Labour,   Iraq, Mandleson issues,  Keith Vaz issues, Blair/Brown fued.

I am a fan of Tory Blair by the way and thought he was one of our best PM's.  But there were a few mistakes.

@tobyjugg2

I vote Lib Dem or independent mostly

Lib Dems for parish, council and national.  But if there is no Lib Dem candidate, I will support an independent candidate if standing.

I did actually vote Labour for the Police commissioner vote.

Never voted Tory, as since I have been able to vote, I have never liked their flavour of politics.  A bit too bitter and divisive for my liking.

It does appear that there are people in Government who have wanted Johnson to leave office for a long time.  There has been a steady flow of leaks to media and I can only see this continuing.

Johnson may just decide to quit, rather than face being forced out by Tory backbenchers. Would be surprised if he still had support of most Tory MP's.

The reports that teams of Lawyers were in Downing Street, no doubt saying that they will argue about every point for months or years to come, may have led to a pause for thought.

Probably best to follow due process, even if it takes longer.

More allegations are being published in the media and I cannot see this stopping.

Allow people to have right to reply in any reported information . 

If there is any offence being referred to, then allow usual legal process.