Business Rates Relief Grant and Universal Credits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

I do apologise as I don't know where to put this question.

My wife is self employed and her business is closed to to Covid 19. She has lost all future bookings  and has no earnings.

I am retired with a State Pension.

We have applied for Universal Credits which has been granted - payment middle of April , so that's great.

We applied for the Small Business Rates Grant - £10,000 to help with business expenses - she intends to open trading again  ASAP, and there are obviously supplier contracts and services that need to be paid for,

plus we modernised premises this year ( as we had lots of bookings) and our personal Credit Card debt is approx £9500.

To my surprise they have granted this and are paying money into her business account.

I know we would have to notify Universal Credit about the Grant, but would she still be entitled to U.C payments?

The business is hers , so I presume I am still eligible for U.C

Many Thanks

thedrunkenmonkey

Edited by thedrunkenmonkey
Added text to show Grant application was successful

Don't think you have to inform Universal Credit of the Small Business Grant Scheme.  Reason is that it is supporting the business via local authorities, which is why it has been paid into a Business account.  It is not the same as the sell employment grant being paid out from June 2020, which is going to be treated as earnings for Universal Credit purposes.

DWP are updating the following linked page with any Coronavirus information related to Universal Credit.   As you will see the Small Business Grant Scheme is not noted.

https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/coronavirus/

You mention the Business is hers and why should you be affected.  Under Universal Credit, as a couple living together, your claims have been linked together as a benefit unit ( you don't have any choice, couples who live together have to have linked couple claims).  When UC issues the statement, it will be both of you as a benefit unit.  Therefore all of your joint information will affect how much UC you receive.  For example your state pension will appear as another benefit deduction, so will affect how much you receive as couple claimants.

Have a read of the Understanding Universal Credit website if you need more information on the benefit.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread