• Tweets

• Sorry I meant credit fix - I really wish I'd known this before - kicking myself right now  If they come back to me asking for more money I'll cancel it and start trying to deal with the debt myself let's see what they say  Feeling tempted to cancel it now but scared that some of the debts will do more CCJ's on me and I'll have to wait 6 years again.  2 of the CCJ come of this year and then I'll only have the iva in credit file - effectively if I'd have not took out the iva in 2021 I'd have clear score by now - but then again would I because I would have been hounded the last 3 years, as bad as it is it's saves me lots of headaches whilst my debt was still within the 6 year mark.  I think most of them are near there but in all honesty no point chasing them if I do cancel iva I'd jjst wait for the ones who contact me and then start the relevant letter process on them.  Of over 6 years easy if not still possible to write off. My true victory would be having the iva wiped off my credit file as mis sold or something that way I Don't have to wait till 2027 Other option is to fight back and ask for them to offer the creditors to accept payments so far and use the following method    Will your IVA firm agree to complete your IVA on the basic of funds paid to date? The Guidance lists a lot of factors to be considered in deciding whether a settlement on the basis of funds paid to date should be proposed. You should read the list. But that may not give you any feel for whether they apply to you or not. The following are my thoughts on when an IVA should be treated as settled, not failed. They assume that you have £75 or less to pay a month: if you would currently qualify for a Debt Relief Order, then your IVA should be settled now  There is no point in making your IVA fail and you have to apply for a DRO – it will not generate another penny for your creditors. If you are renting and owe less than £50,000, check the DRO criteria now and talk to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 about whether you qualify. You may have been told at the start of your IVA that you aren’t eligible – still check now as the DRO criteria have changed, your situation has got worse, and some people were given incorrect information about DROs at the start. if you have no assets that would be realised in bankruptcy (eg a house with equity, car worth over £2000), then your IVA should be settled now Same as (1), there is no point in making you apply for bankruptcy after your IVA fails. if your only asset is a car that is worth less than £8000, then your IVA should be settled now A car that is worth say £5000 would normally be sold in bankruptcy and you would be given a small amount to buy a cheaper car. But your creditors would not get any benefit from this as the Insolvency Service takes the first £8000 raised to cover its own costs. if you have significant assets, the closer you are to the end of the IVA, the less reasonable it is to fail it If you have been paying your IVA for 4 years, you have done your best over a long period. It isn’t your fault you can no longer continue. The fact you may have had equity to release isn’t relevant as that simply isn’t going to be possible. if your situation will clearly improve soon, then it’s unlikely your IVA will be settled I mean real improvements, not hoping that prices fall. If I can get them to accept payment to date or threaten with cancellation hopefully they may accept it -  Other option is to try and borrow money and pay make a full and final offer  Or I can just ignore and hope for the best which I'm very tempted to do especially if they respond to my review with bullying tactics despite me being skint as a fart with no mortgage as renting  It's so stressful but I've just checked the iva agreement from 2021 and it's Cabot 2 accounts Lowell about 5 accounts and then lots of repeats of the same debt with for example zopa and Cabot same amount listed twice -  also loyyds banks but I'm sure that's older than 6 years and not on credit file anyway  If I can somehow remove the iva from my credit file I'd be happy 
    • India has one of the world's fastest growing economies but the benefits are yet to fully reach the poorest.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Assured Shorthold Tenancy and Eviction! Eek!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

At the moment I am 2 months behind on my rent.

I told the letting agent that Month 1 rent is being held back because there are various repairs i.e. to boilers, ovens etc... which have not been attended to in 7 months (regardless of my numerous requests)

Month 2 should be paid for by housing benefits as I was made unemployed before the new month started. I'm just waiting for the claim to be processed.

I called up the letting agent to fnid out if the City Council got hold of them, and I was told that they do not take DSS. Even though S. 8 P. 2 of the Tenancy Information Pack States:

"If you are in receipt of housing benefits you have an obligation to ensure that payments are made as quickly as possible. Please note that we will also be checking your application with housing benefits"

Looking at this, I assume that they do take Housing Benefit.

Regardless of this, I told the letting agent that it was a temporary measure while I am looking for work, so I envisage being unemployed max 1 month.

Furthermore, she said that she had enough of me complaining about the repairs not being done, had enough of me threatening court because these repairs weren't being done and spoke to the landlord who agreed that he wants to end the tenancy.

My questions are:

1) I was only informed over telephone, I asked them to inform me in writing so I can take this further. What is the next step forward?

2) Am I correct in saying that they cannot evict me until the County Court rules posession for the landlord?

3) How can I catch this all out before it even goes legal? I'd rather sort this out with a few letters, some agreements and tada, we're all happy.

Can someone assist me with this? My tenancy type is "Assured Shorthold Tenancy" 6 month contract, which I was told in writing automatically rolls over after the 6th month. I am not in the 7th month going on 8th.

Thanks and regards

Adridude

They cannot evict you without a court order - any attempt to do so would be unlawful eviction, which is a serious criminal offence. Any notice of eviction proceedings is only valid in writing. They cannot evict you without:

- Serving you an eviction notice in writing(the type of notice depends on the type of eviction)

- Allowing the minimum notice term to expire(at least 14 days, usually 2 months, again depending upon the type of eviction)

- If you have still not left by this point, the landlord must go to court to receive a possession order. Note also that at this point you become liable for the fees of the landlord in evicting you, as long as the eviction is successful - up until this point you have no liability. It would usually take at least 14 days, usually considerably longer, to get a court hearing and a possession order.

- The possession order allows 14 days for you to leave, or maybe longer, and then baliffs are permitted to physically remove you from the property.

In your case, you could technically be evicted under either a Section 21 notice(Iassume you meant "now" in 7th month), or under a Section 8 notice using grounds 8 10 and 11. You have no defence against the S21 eviction, it can be done at any point after the initial fixed term has expired for no reason. However, you must be given at least 2 months notice, and this notice would be invalid if the dates are not absolutely correct.

The Section 8, ground 8 is "eviction for 2 months arrears at time of court hearing", ground 10 is "eviction for persistent late payment of rent" and ground 11 is "eviction for being 2 months in arrears at the time of the notice being served" - may have got 10 and 11 confused! Section 8 notices require only 14 days notice prior to applying for a hearing. Ground 8 is a mandatory ground, and possession must be granted. However, as long as you have done everything by the book when deducting rent for repairs(ie proof of required repair, obtained more than one quotation for repairs, sent copies of receipts to agent, informed in writing of your intentions prior to getting repairs done), then you can safely argue that you are not 2 months in arrears, as part of the "arrears" was to pay for neccessary repairs. The other 2 grounds, alone, are unlikely to result in your eviction in this case.

As a point of note, an agent has no right to refuse payment from housing benefit. If he is going to cause trouble, do not get the payment made direct to them but ask for payment to be made to you. Although landlords can prevent "DSS"(the term is very outdated, but shall use it here for sake of continuity) from initially moving in, they cannot evict purely on the basis that you have become a "DSS" tenant, other than using a Section 21 notice which requires no reason. However, they must still accept HB payments as rent.

Hope this helps! *pause for breath:)*

*EDIT* It should be noted that the law surrounding Section 21 notices in particular are quite complex, as much of the implementation of it in the courts is based primarily on case law rather than statute law, as the statute concerning this area can be read in different ways, and case law obviously changes fairly frequently. In particular, two recent case laws, earlier this year, have established that a) explicit dates may not need to be written on a notice, and b) a court hearing can be applied for prior to the expiry of the 2 months notice, AS LONG AS the hearing itself is after the expiry of the notice.

As a tenant, the most important thing to know about Section 21 notices is that people very often get the dates wrong, which would invalidate the notice. It is worth checking whenever you receive a S21 that you do not want, that all the required information is there and that the dates are correct.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Ok,

Have a fixed term contract that expired on 24 Oct 06 (signed on 25 April 06, when I first moved in).

I also have a notice for posession (Section 21(1)(b)), which was given to me when I first rented the place (25 April 06). However... I asked how the tenancy agreement would work after expiry, and I was told that the tenancy agreement does not have to be renewed, it can automatically roll on.

So I let it 'roll on'...

You mentioned that the agreement is invalid if the dates are incorrect?

So meaning that I am now in my 8th Month (starts 25th Nov 06) and this makes the dates invalid (i.e. Notice of Posession expired 24-10-06) and I have not had a letter stating that my tenancy ended, and there is no notice of service from any court.

After the '6 month fixed term' is over, and I've been told that the agreement 'rolls on' does this mean that the tenancy renews on a monthly basis (rent is paid monthly)? Or altogether the whole 6 monts 'fixed term' all over again.

Will the Nottinghamshire County Courts send me a notice that a case is being filed against me so I can prepare to defend myself? Also, can I contact the courts to find out if anything is being served against me?

Furthermore, I am currently 2 months arrears in rent. (as explained earlier). I have made it clear, and I will reitterate that in my reply to the letting agents letter.

**I have only been told over the telephone by the letting agent. I have requested them to put everything in writing and send it to me (including reasons).**

Question: Whats the difference between: case law rather than statute law?

EEK! I just read this about s21.:

"b) a court hearing can be applied for prior to the expiry of the 2 months notice"

Does that mean if they have already applied that I could get a notice any day?

Finally, lol, is it lawful that I'm served an S.21 the first day I move in? I think they did it as a safeguard. But hey, its my first property and I don't know what it all meant :-\ Once again, it expired 24-10-06.

Anyway, thanks for reading and replying my message :-) My stress levels are UBER high!

Cheers

Adridude

Not the agreement dates, the NOTICE dates.

You will get notice of any court proceedings taken.

A Section 21 notice is perfectly legitimate if issued at the start of a tenancy, and puts things in a slightly different light for you, as it means that the landlord can apply for a court hearing at any time. He does not need to reissue a notice.

You are not 2 months in arrears, AS LONG AS the repairs you have deducted were neccessary and you have followed the correct procedures.

Statute law is law written in "bills" by the government(eg the Housing Act). Case law is points of law established by precedent in court. For example(very general and theoretical example!), a law passed in an act in government may state that "it is illegal to unlawfully evict a tenant". However, case law(that is, some case that has occurred in court and as such has set a precedent) may mean that preventing access to household utilities can be seen as unlawful eviction. Does that make sense?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The notice dates are same as on the agreement.

It reads as follows:

----------------------------------------------

HOUSING ACT 1998

Section 21(1)(b)

Assured Shorthold Tenancy : Notice Requiring Posession : Fixed Term Tenancy

To: adridude

Of

From

ADDRESS OF DWELLING

I give you notice that I require posession of the dwelling house known as:

After: 24/10/06 (or the last day of the period of the tenancy next occuring)

Signed: Me dated: 25/04/06

I your prospective landlord(s)/I your prospective landlords agent

Landlord(s) Agent:

----------------------------------------------

Is there anything in that which I can go on? I was kinda looking at the: (or the last day of the period of the tenancy next occuring) mentioned after the expirey date?

So how long is the usual 'next tenancy occuring'? I noticed that it states 'fixed term tenancy' at the top does this mean that it's a further 6 months of 'fixed term'?

Cheers

A

Hmm I notice that S.21 (1)(b) of the Housaing Act 1988 stated:

(b) the landlord or, in the case of joint landlords, at least one of them has given to the tenant not less than two months' notice stating that he requires possession of the dwelling-house.

I was given this notice when I first moved in. Fair enough, but I was then told that I need not renew the tenancy agreement due to roll over (and I have the e-mail still) as it automatically rolls over.

This really bothers me (or the last day of the period of the tenancy next occuring) from the last post I put up.

When does my notice oficially start and end then?