style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I don't know if you can advise me on this. I met a super charming guy online last year, went out with him for a few weeks. Quickly realised he was an alcoholic, a scrounger and compulsive lier, so I ended the relationship. Fast forward 3 months and I received a letter at my address for him, from Marston's chasing an unpaid drink driving fine.

I called the original Magistrates court where he was issued the fine and explained that the man does not and has not ever lived with me, and I sent them a copy of my council tax bill and a letter to that effect.

I also sent a registered letter to Marstons saying the same thing, with a copy of my council tax bill.

I called Marstons to see what the situation was and they said that my address was in the process of being removed.

Yet 5 days later and a Marston's Enforcement Officer called round at my house. I explained the situation on my doorstep, and provided a mobile phone number for him to contact the ex and ascertain his whereabouts. Luckily he seemed like a reasonable man and he didn't act in an intimidating way.

What procedure should I follow if Marston's come back again? I don't want to have any more to do with this as it's not my debt and I find it very stressful. I had enforced no contact with the ex, and I want nothing to do with this person or his dodgy life.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I called Marstons to see what the situation was and they said that my address was in the process of being removed.

Yet 5 days later and a Marston's Enforcement Officer called round at my house. I explained the situation on my doorstep, and provided a mobile phone number for him to contact the ex and ascertain his whereabouts. Luckily he seemed like a reasonable man and he didn't act in an intimidating way.

What procedure should I follow if Marston's come back again? I don't want to have any more to do with this as it's not my debt and I find it very stressful. I had enforced no contact with the ex, and I want nothing to do with this person or his dodgy life.

You stated that you advised Marston's (and the Court) that the individual does not reside at your address.

You may be surprised to know that Marston' and all other enforcement companies receive literally thousands of similar letters each year. Many times, these are from ex partners, ex spouses and even parents. Sadly, on many occasions, these letters are not truthful and this is only discovered when a personal visit is made and the debtor is found to be at the premises.

The enforcement officer may have visited your property because the address records had not been updated (after all it was only 5 days earlier that you spoke to the company). He may also have visited in order to ascertain for himself that the debtor did not live at your address. Either way, from what you have written, it would seem that the enforcement agent was satisfied with your explanation. This will now enable Marston's to return the warrant back to the court.

Don't think you will have any further contact from Marstons.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!