am i entitled to benefit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have googled this and am confused. I hope I am posting in the right place.

My husband has been seriously ill for several years. He currently receives ESA and DLA. I get carers allowance for looking after him and IS as a top up payment.

Recently I have started to get health problems. I cant find a way of finding out whether I can claim ESA or DLA as well as my husband. If I do claim benefit will we lose our carers allowance and IS?

I don't want to poke a wasps nest and end up worse off than we are now.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can claim PIP, which is the replacement for DLA, on your own behalf. If you look in the stickies for this forum you'll find links to how to claim etc.

You would almost certainly be no better off by claiming ESA based on your own health as you're unlikely to meet the contribution conditions to get contributory ESA if you've been caring for your husband for a while, and income based ESA would most likely not increase your total income plus you would have to jump through all the hoops. It may be worth using one of the online benefit checkers and/or asking an experienced welfare workder to calculate if you would be better off, just in case.

• Confused 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I know of a couple who both get DLA and apparently each get carers allowance for looking after the other-this is only 2nd hand info so I do not know if it is true

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ is a good calculator , or so I have found. Turn2us is another good organisation that helps people determine entitlement

• Confused 1

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

• 2 weeks later...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.