Debt in Ireland (ROI)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I would like to receive some advice on the following situation.

* A description of the issue

I left Ireland back in 2005, moment which I stopped payments towards my creditors.

I had 2 unsecured loans (Tesco's (Ulster Bank) and Bank or Ireland), 2 credit cards (Bank of Ireland and MBNA), .

I'm living in the UK since 2007 and I never heard from my creditors since.

I never contacted them as well.

Due to personal circumstances I was not able to repay those debts.

I'm only now rebuilding my financial life and I managed to get a mortgage with Natwest back in 2012.

I'm worried now because I have just found out that Natwest and Ulster Bank are both owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I don't have the €30,000 or whatever the amount might be at the present.

If I was to sell my studio flat to repay for this debt, I would not only lose the place where I live,

but also the 10 years that I have spent trying to rebuild my life.

- Can they still enforce this debt after 10 years since my last payment/acknowledgement?

- If there is a court judgement in Ireland, can they enforce it here in the UK?

* The amount of money involved

I believe it was around €30,000 altogether.

* Any relevant dates

- I don't know if there is a court judgement against me in Ireland.

- My last payments towards those debts were made back in August 2005.

---

Thank you very much!

Hello everyone,

I would like to receive some advice on the following situation.

* A description of the issue

I left Ireland back in 2005, moment which I stopped payments towards my creditors. I had 2 unsecured loans (Tesco's (Ulster Bank) and Bank or Ireland), 2 credit cards (Bank of Ireland and MBNA), .

I'm living in the UK since 2007 and I never heard from my creditors since. I never contacted them as well. Due to personal circumstances I was not able to repay those debts.

I'm only now rebuilding my financial life and I managed to get a mortgage with Natwest back in 2012. I'm worried now because I have just found out that Natwest and Ulster Bank are both owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland.

I don't have the €30,000 or whatever the amount might be at the present. If I was to sell my studio flat to repay for this debt, I would not only lose the place where I live, but also the 10 years that I have spent trying to rebuild my life.

- Can they still enforce this debt after 10 years since my last payment/acknowledgement?

- If there is a court judgement in Ireland, can they enforce it here in the UK?

* The amount of money involved

I believe it was around €30,000 altogether.

* Any relevant dates

- I don't know if there is a court judgement against me in Ireland.

- My last payments towards those debts were made back in August 2005.

---

Thank you very much!

Statute of limitations would apply meaning that debts not enforceable in court.

Very unlikely that these debts are still alive, if you are not being chased. It is not that difficult to trace people in the UK.

Not sure it is a good idea to start looking into these debts, as it may just alert a debt collection agency holding the debts. Get on with your life and stop worrying. If you receive any letters, cone back for advice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

By "Not sure it is a good idea to start looking into these debts" do you mean even posting this thread?

I really don't want to contact them, I'm just worried that some day they might pop-up out of nowhere and ask me for the money.

Also, I've heard that if they a court judgement is granted in Ireland within 6 years after a default, they would have another 6 years to chase a debt. Do you know if this is true?

By "Not sure it is a good idea to start looking into these debts" do you mean even posting this thread?

I really don't want to contact them, I'm just worried that some day they might pop-up out of nowhere and ask me for the money.

Also, I've heard that if they a court judgement is granted in Ireland within 6 years after a default, they would have another 6 years to chase a debt. Do you know if this is true?

Yes that is true re limitations and courts. I thought it was 5 years in Ireland ?

Posting on CAG won't alert them. If you started looking at credit records with the credit agencies, it might alert them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Since I applied for my mortgage back in 2012 I have been checking my file with "checkmyfile" (website). I had some debts in the UK for which I had money to pay off. This website helped me track my credit score and so on. My financial life was really a mess and I didn't know where to start rebuilding it from. Can this be harmful?

I have read on some websites that it is 6 years for them to take matters to court + 6 years to pursue a debt, I have also read that on some other websites that it is 6 years to take matters to court + 12 years to pursue a debt.

So you can confirm that they have at least 12 years to chase this debt if they have managed to take me to court in my absence?

Thanks!

People report that they have been contacted by debt collectors after checking credit records.

Yes it could be up to 12 years after default re enforcement i.e 6 years to get court judgement, plus 6 years to enforce the judgement.

And to tell you the truth, now I remember that I have been contacted by debt collectors, but that was back in 2012 and they were after small debts that I had here in the UK, not in Ireland. I had almost forgotten about that.

Well, do you believe then I should stop with my subscription with checkmyfile? I use them today because I'm worried about identity theft.

As you can see, I worry a lot! :(

And to tell you the truth, now I remember that I have been contacted by debt collectors, but that was back in 2012 and they were after small debts that I had here in the UK, not in Ireland. I had almost forgotten about that.

Well, do you believe then I should stop with my subscription with checkmyfile? I use them today because I'm worried about identity theft.

As you can see, I worry a lot! :(

That is your choice. As you have been with them and are not been chased at the moment, it seems to be safe to use them.