council has access to private financial information

Ktker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i am a carer and receive both housing and council tax benefit.

i recieved a letter today from the council stating they have reviewed by entitlement to both as there has been a change of circumstances

i.e. my private pension has increased by a whole 65p per month.

needless to say this did not change my entitlement but

my question is this

- how did the council know about my pension increase when i haven't even been informed by pension provider that it has increased?

same thing happened with tax credits,

council told me about a change a month before tax credits did.

Is this legal, feel quite put out by big brother accessing personal info.

DWP often informs councils of any change in benefit. Sometimes they don't and rely on claimants to complete a change of circumstances form.

The council also have access to the benefit system to see what a person actually claims.

All benefit agencies data share, this is to prevent fraud/overpayments. This is normal procedure.

But it does not absolve a claimant of the duty to notify each agency of a change of circumstances. So when the pension provider confirms an increase in pension, there is a requirement to notify the council.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The DWP and the council tend to assume that there will be an annual increase in your pension. As far as I know they have no particular means to access that information otherwise.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

But my private pension is with Legal and General not the DWP - so how do they get my information from a 3rd party without my consent ?

It's called the HMRC as they will have record of payments made to you via your NINo. It's called RTI or real time information and is shared with the relevant departments if a benefit interest is showing.

It's all quite legal as you sign to agree that relevant checks on what you have provided is correct and that your data can be shared with the relevant departments when you apply for benefits.