style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The letting agency from the apartment we have recently moved out of tried to charge us £300 for a new bath which they said we had damaged even though the damage would seem to be wear & tear.

After arguing the case we have been told that we will be charged £200 to take into account depreciation on the grounds that when you leave a property you can't be charged for the cost of a replacement, but can be charged for the value of the bath when we left the property which seems reasonable.

However they letting agency is trying to charge us £150 for 'decor' ie to paint over marks on walls.

I would suggest that given that decor has a lifespan of 3-5 years in a place like that (a point which was agreed by the letting agency) & the property was four years old when we moved out then it is unreasonable to charge us the full amount. Theoretically for sake of argument that the decor has a lifespan of 5 years & we moved out after 4 years then we should be charged £30.

However I have no idea of what the regulations or laws regarding this state so would appreciate any helpful advice on the subject?

Again, it is a "fair replacement" cost. So in this case, you would not be expected to foot the bill for full redecoration, only a proportion based upon age and condition.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

There is a template letter here, plus read through the ARLA regs - very interesting. Surely marks on the decoration are counted as fair wear & tear!

Unfair deposit deductions

Also some good advice here Shelter: Advice and support .

Good luck, Joan

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

I have got the list of cost from the contractor who did the work on the flat, which is as follows:

£40 to:

straighten curtain rail (due to the curtains being too heavy plus the fact that the letting agents had been out to sort this while i was there)

repair a chip in the laminate flooring

repair a chip in the door

£10 to:

repair a blister on the work surface

£40 to:

plaster over small chips in the wall

clean stain on carpet (which was caused by water leak)

£30 to:

straighten curtain rail in bedroom (due to the curtains being too heavy plus the fact that the letting agents had been out to sort this)

paint over marks on wall

£30 to:

paint over marks on wall of the hall which were caused by the fact that the door was supposed to be spring mounted & close slowly but this didn't work therefore used to close quickly thus making it impossible to get into the flat with shopping/luggage without brushing against the wall.

given that the stain was caused by a water leak i dont get how i should be responsible for this cost, similarly with the curtain rails.

the actual costs of the redecorating work don't seem unreasonable but am i right in believing that despite this i shouldn't be liable for the full cost?