re-imbursing excess after crash

nottslad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, wondered if any of my fellow caggers could help!

I had a crash back in May, car has been repaired and I paid £200 excess. The other party has now admitted liability. How/when do I get the excess back? Tesco Insurance have passed me on to Aegeas Law who are dealing with a personal injury claim (I suffered a good bump and sore neck!) - any ideas as to when the excess will be given back as £200 isn't an insignificant amount of money and since Tesco have recovered all their costs surely they should be sending this back?

Why don’t you ask Tesco if they intend to recover your policy excess or if not ask your (I assume) Uninsured Loss legal providers to do this for you. However, they will need to see a receipt from the body shop to recover the same...

Hope this helps.

It's really easy to do.

You write a letter to the Insurer of the other vehicle, ideally with their client's policy number, the accident date, client's name and reg number.

If you don't have all of the above you can do it without the reg and customer name.

You enclose a photocopy of the receipt you received when you paid your excess.

Then word the letter along the lines of.

Please arrange immediate refund of my policy excess for which I enclose a receipt, I hold your client liable for the accident because (In here state the circumstances of the accident eg "Your client hit me in the rear).

Send it off and you should receive the cheque within about three weeks.

Personally I would ring the other Insurer, be friendly and polite to the claims handler you speak to. Explain you're chasing your excess and would appreciate if they could help you receive it asap. In a lot of cases they'll ask you to email / fax it to them personally for them to arrange for it to be settled. This can reduce it down to about ten days.

The above ways will be very very much quicker than waiting for your Legal Company to recover the money (Assuming there's no dispute over liability)

• Haha 1