• Tweets

• breaking news More Tory MPs ‘pondering defecting’ 'bl**dy hell, if they'll have her I should be a shoe in. I dont stand a chance as a Tory, but I might if I'm the labour candidate' .. is rumored to be heard again and again at the Torys favorite  subsidised bars of Westminster.   More Tory MPs ‘pondering defecting’ as Natalie Elphicke ‘sorry’ - live WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Labour frontbencher says other Conservatives wrestling with their futures and calls grow for Diane Abbott to be let back into party "Wes Streeting insisted his party would not take just any Tory MP" .. as he looked nervously looked over his shoulder      
    • You were given this PCN because you overstayed not because you went to Starbucks or MaccyDs from the other car park. I assume therefore that the parking time is only 30 minutes as you were recorded as being there for 38 minutes. Given that there is a Consideration time and a Grace period  as well as the time between their photographs of your car arriving and leaving one wonders why they gave you a ticket. Force of habit I suppose. Because they are on airport land which is governed by Bye Laws that supercede PoFA we do not usually look at their PCNs there because in none of them can the charge be transferred from the driver to the keeper  as would normally happen after 28 days if the charge is unpaid and the land is not subject to Byelaws. In your case as they have failed to specify the Parking period  which is the time car is spent actually parked in a parking space not the bit that they include which is driving from the entrance to the parking space and the other bit from the parking space to the exit. As that reduces the lawful time you were actually parked I would suggest that they have breached your GDPR.
    • I believe it to be, yes. no payment or acknowledgement of any debt to them since Feb 2018
    • Original credit agreement for them to prove the debt. Post 2 is the pro rota, I did this to the Original creditors sometime ago with offers of payment i got no reply, soon after the dca started sending me letters and phone calls. Thanks 
    • and another low spot for investment in Brexit UK (I dont give a monkeys about the bank) Coutts prepares to de-bank Britain At an event this week the bank’s chief investment officer Fahad Kamal said: “Currently, about 20 per cent of a standard balanced portfolio here is UK stocks, which is something of an anachronism. “It would be closer to three per cent or four per cent if it were more commensurate with the proportion of UK stocks in global stock markets. So this is a recalibration. The 332-year-old lender, which has King Charles as a client and, until recently, former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, will transfer £2 billion from British funds into overseas investments, reinforcing the “inexorable trend of outflows from the UK”, Charles Hall of investment bank Peel Hunt said. Coutts prepares to de-bank Britain WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM "This is a large transfer of assets from the UK to global funds, which reinforces the inexorable trend of outflows from the UK."  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Looked everywhere on here........

surreyscouse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really wish you could claim some or part of these back, we have just had to remortgage and the redemption fee was £3700 plus about £500 in interest penalties!

Unfortunately i'm with the no camp on this one, we signed an agreement saying they would charge us this early repayment fee, and it was us that breached the contract by ending it early, not the mortgage company. I doubt you can claim a penny back but you might as well try.

Oh how an extra £4k would come in handy!

I must say, I find this quite an odd position, considering the forum where it's being posted. If I could draw an analogy, it might go like this:

Unfortunately i'm with the no camp on this one, we signed an agreement saying they would charge us if we go overdrawn without permission, and it was us that breached the contract by bouncing a Direct Debit, not the bank.

Is there a difference?

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As predicted, no reply from Lord Burns at Abbey. I will give him a chase this morning by way of asking for a fax number, and when they ask why I will explain I am upset at not receiving a response from them. Will let you all know how I get on later

Ok, called Lord Burns office, letter sent 15th May, received 16th and logged on 18th. Has been passed to stage 2 complaints whatever that means and an aknowledgement will be with me in 5 - 7 days.

Ok, so just faxed over my LBA with 14 day deadline so will see what response that gets.

Good on you surryscouse - I still think there is a lot of mileage in this kind of complaint (key point being the OFT paragraph 'A redemption charge may be regarded as a penalty even if it is expressd as the price for exercising a right rather than a consequence of breaking the agreement.')

Link to the other thread in the Legalities section for those who may have missed it (contains a bit more discussion on the pro/cons)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=863

All advice is offered in good faith based on my own research and understanding of the laws involved, however I'm not a lawyer!

Please dont rely on annoymous advice posted on a public forum without checking it out for yourself first!

Another link in the "general" forum for those who may have missed it...

Carriexs87 has been successful in getting a refund...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=67345

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Update, these banks are a mess !

Phoned the executives office to see what the actual amount of my ERC was, spoke to a chap who said he would find out what the "penalty" was (interesting). I was then put through to a girl who said that she didn't know and I would have to write in. Hmmm, erm, I have written 2 letters to the guy that runs Abbey, is that not enough ? Well, apparently not, I have sent it to the wrong place, not my fault I said, get the Execs office to call me back with the figure.

She said why don't you just wait for their response, it'll be on there. Well I did write to Lord Burns 17 days ago and have heard nothing back from him so not exactly holding my breath for a response. I will let you know the amount as and when and if they call back ! :razz:

Hi SS,

Whilst I was dubious about this line of refund, the more I think about it, I think there is some mileage in it. As you know I have a seperate thread in regards to early endowment cashing in (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=71080#post71080), but I think the problem is that for far too long we just assume all of these companies can do what they please and its our fault its happening to us!

Well, I've just written to my endowment comany and asked how the "penalty" charges of £5K are broken down. I'll keep you informed.

On a seperate note, the forums are very slow today - must be all the traffic from last nights excellent program...

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

For my part I think Robertxc and Surreyscouse have good instinct.

Mortgage redemption works rather differently than appears in post no. 8 above - you are not locked into a mortgage agreement for the term. There is an equitable right of redemption that attaches to mortgages - the borrower is entitled to redeem the mortgage at any time. This right arose many years ago to deal with unsavoury money lenders. What used to happen was that a borrower would grant a mortgage to a lender which would be repayable on x date in the future. The borrower at that time was only entitled to repay on that date. The borrower would make all the mortgage repayments (if any were due since many mortgages were simply loans with interest repayable in full one one day in the future) and then on the last day, the day for repayment, the lender would dissapear for the day so that the borrower could not make the repayment. Result? Thr borrower was in breach and the lender repossessed a property where the borrower was wanting to make the final repayment. Hence the court of equity introduced the equitable right of redemption so that this unsavoury practice could be stopped. (End of history lesson lol :))

But what is a mortgage agreement? It is a contract. What is an early redemption penalty? It can only be a liquidated damages clause. The lender effectively gives you some benefit (lower interest rate) that causes a loss to it (you pay less interest for a period than the ususal rate) and for which a damages clause applies if you redeem during the given period (early redemption). The lender expects over the course of the given period to keep your business and makes a loss if you leave before the period expires.

So, the lender suffers loss. What is the loss and is it the same amount as they actually charge? If not it may be a penalty clause and (fanfare) unenforceable.

Keep us posted Surreyscouse - best of luck and will be following with interest (not that I have a redemption penalty to reclaim but just generally :))

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The lender effectively gives you some benefit (lower interest rate) that causes a loss to it (you pay less interest for a period than the ususal rate) and for which a damages clause applies if you redeem during the given period (early redemption). The lender expects over the course of the given period to keep your business and makes a loss if you leave before the period expires.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Does the lender have to suffer a loss of some sort, or does it have to be a loss in relation to a particualar contract. What I mean by this is that if my mortgage is at a lower rate and I pay it off early, surely the mortgage lender is then able to take that money which I've just repaid and lend it to someone else. So, although the may have not made as much profit out of me, they still haven't lost anything because they will now be making their profit out of someone else.

This subject gives me a headache.:confused:

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

The lender lends the money at a loss of usual profit for the period in question. So your loan is x% lower than the lender's usual variable rate, or they give you a thumping great cashback at the start, or whatever......

The redemption penalty usually gets smaller as time passes - i.e.as the lender's losses come to an end - the low rate period/cashback period will be designed by the lender so that when the period expires the "loss" is made up - that's why you have to stay in for x years or pay a penalty.

I wouldn't worry about other borrowers - the loss relates to the specific contract between the lender and the borrower and the "loss" is incorporated in that agreement and made up by the borrower staying and paying for a defined period.

Glad to see this sems to have a bit of mileage in it. I was a bit sceptical at first but I am becomming more and more convinced we can get these penalties back.

The fact I am pretty much being ignored by the chairman of Abbey, I mean 3 weeks and not even a written acknowledgement is appalling.

I will keep you all posted on this, but I really think we can get these back and if we wanted we could all ock horns and come up with dozens of ways of making the banks lives hell ! Not neccessarily for gain, but more as a form of payback for all of the grief they have put us through !!!!!!!!!

Ok, try this for an argument...all figures massively simplified for convenience...

When the banks lends you £100,000 for a mortgage, they are providing you with a service. The cost for that service is expressed as a percentage of the sum borrowed (the interest). Lets say that over ten years I have paid the bank £10000 in interest, and for the sake of simplicity, I still owe £100,000. Now, if I want to end my mortgage early (say it has a fifteen year redemption period), the argument goes that they are entitled to penalise me for the additional five years, during which they will 'lose' £5000 in interest. so far, so good.

However, I think there is a big problem with this scenario. The law requires a loss to be 'liquidated' before it can be recovered. This means that if they've lent £100,000 over ten years, after which they should have made £10,000, and you try to pay them off with only £95,000, then they would be entitled to charge you £5,000, because this is the sum it would take to put them back to where they should have been when the contract was terminated. The argument that they are losing out on potential profit fails because potential profit cannot be regarded as a liquidated loss. In its simplest form, a liquidated loss can be descrided thus:

"I lent you £100,000, but you only paid back £75,000, therefore my liquidated loss is £25,000".

In other words, "I had it before, and now I don't." You see, although it is true that they are no longer making as much profit, you must bear in mind that they are no longer providing a service, so any argument about them losing money in the future becomes meaningless.

Consider a variation on this arguement. If I rent a car from Hertz for one month, but return it after two weeks, they will happily take it back and refund the difference. Why? Because they will simply rent it to someone else.

I hope this makes sense.

Robertxc, Hi this makes good sense to me. I also agree with your earlier comment where: The mortgage company offers you a lower fixed rate to the standard variable rate. They have bought in that 'product' or amount of funds at that rate. Say the standard rate rises and you redeem they not only get your redemption money, they also have that money available again to sell on at a higher rate and gain even more.

I don't think there is a case where a mortgage company is making a loss on a initial rate offer, just less profit.

However, the only way a mortgage company could potentially lose money is if they've 'bought' a mortgage amount at a rate that becomes less competitive in a reducing market, and in that case, that's their problem anyway. No doubt in this situation they sell it on to another company that has even worse rates (and forgettable z list celebs endorsing their products) who also become quids in by passing it on to someone they deem less suitable for a good rate!!!!

Ok here is the latest,

Mike Lovelace from Abbey sent me a letter which arrived on 10th June. He outlined the fact that the bank itself borrows the money and then lends it to me at a pre-determined rate. So no real surprise there. He did say that the redemption penalty (or ERC as he puts it) is in place to cover their costs. He said this was his final letter and to go to the FOS if I am still not happy, which I won't be doing.

So, despite 5 phonecalls asking what the ERC amount was there was no mention of it in his letter and absolutely no reference to exactly what their costs were. He did inform me verbally that the ERC was £3038. So here is my reply to his letter which I faxed over on Monday 12th:

Letter Before Action

Dear Lord Burns

Early Redemption Penalty – Mortgage Account No. XXXXXXXXXXXX

I refer to your companies letter dated 7th June 2006 from Mike Lovelace in your offices with whom I have spoken with very briefly this morning.

Mike Lovelace has confirmed that the ERC on our account when it was closed was £3,038.80.

In my letter dated 15 May 2006, I asked you to demonstrate exactly how this charge was calculated and the true costs to Abbey National Plc. When we redeemed the mortgage early. I reiterated this request in my subsequent letter dated 31 May 2006. Whilst Mike Lovelace has outlined in general terms what may or may not happen when a customer redeems their mortgage early, this in no way provides the information I have requested.

Mike Lovelace stated in his letter that the Banking Ombudsman has reported that it is not unlawful or unreasonable for a bank to recover the cost of early repayment from it’s customers. Hence the reason I have asked you to display exactly what the costs incurred were as we deem it most unlikely that the true cost to Abbey National was £3,038.80. I would therefore request once again that you display to us the costs to Abbey National and exactly how these were incurred.

Although Mike Lovelace has issued a final resolution letter, he does invite me to contact him to raise further queries. The matter of your true costs have quite clearly not been addressed. Please can you arrange for somebody to display these costs to me to the very penny.

My previous deadline for this information expires on 13 June 2006. I am prepared to allow a further seven days from this date in order for you to respond. Therefore, the deadline now expires at noon on 20 June 2006. Should I not receive a full breakdown of exactly what costs you have incurred by this time, I will issue proceedings for the full amount of £3,038.80 without further notice to yourselves.

Yours sincerely

surreyscouse

From reading the other threads on Abbey, I get the impression they are a fairly hard nut to crack and I don't doubt that this will be any different.

Any thoughts ?

I think you're in for a tough fight, but one that, ultimately, you have a good chance of winning. Of course, I'm glad its you and not me.....

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

Hi,

New to site and have been reading for a few hours. I can see the points being made about banks losing out over discounted rates etc, but I had a mortgage with GMAC that was 2% above base rate (bad credit) and still had a 3 year redemption penalty, when I remortgaged after 2 years I paid around £4000. Would love to get that back. they lost nothing and offered no incentives for mortgage, so I think tomorrow I will dig out completion statement and and ask a few more questions.

I also think I have about 4K in bank/credit card charges to reclaim, so when I get it a nice amount to go to site!

I will post on other relevant sites tomorrow.

Cheers

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi,

New to site and have been reading for a few hours. I can see the points being made about banks losing out over discounted rates etc, but I had a mortgage with GMAC that was 2% above base rate (bad credit) and still had a 3 year redemption penalty, when I remortgaged after 2 years I paid around £4000. Would love to get that back. they lost nothing and offered no incentives for mortgage, so I think tomorrow I will dig out completion statement and and ask a few more questions.

I also think I have about 4K in bank/credit card charges to reclaim, so when I get it a nice amount to go to site!

I will post on other relevant sites tomorrow.

Cheers

Hello Gizmo, welcome to the forum. Your scenario is almost identicle to mine - same lender and everything. I've been thinking about this for a while and studying all these arguments in detail. I think the simplest expedient is to write to the lender and ask for a specific breakdown of their cost for ending the mortgage. If they can't provide it....well, you know the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Scurreyscouse

Have you any further update on this? Am following this thread with great interest. It makes complete sense that these redemption penalties (no wonder the FSA changed the official term to Early Repayment Charges) are unlawful penalities and should be addressed as such - by getting them back!

In suspense . . . . . . . .

Cat

ok, update.

No response from Abbey so I called them on Thursday. I spoke to a nice young lady called Sarah who said that in the terms and conditions it states that they do not have to display any of their costs to me. Naturally I challenged this and said it will end up in court unless they show me to the exact penny what their costs and losses were. She said they won't do this so I asked her to confirm that in writing and confirm that they will never do this even if it ends up in court. That way, their solicitors will (should) not be able to use this as a defence, if they do then I think I would be entitled to at least getting my court fees back. I will update as and when and if her letter arrives.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Surreyscouse, if you go to BT directory enquiries they also give fax numbers - regards from another surrey inhabitant x

7th June mcol £30 + 276.00 + int17.37=£323.37 Abbey

Accepted £291 chq cleared 28th July

7th June mcol £120 + 1135.02 charges + 83.42 chq for £1438.44 paid to bank 2nd Aug

Hi Surreyscouse

Any update on this yet?

I 'm trying the same route with Kensington Mortgages who've just charged me £5,600.

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

jeez, sory forgot to update this post as been a bit busy with MBNA.

Anyway, short of it is that Abbey will not advise me what their costs and losses were as it would be too expensive for them to do this and the information is "commercially sensitive". Their last letter was dated 5th July advising me of this. They did acknowledge that I am intent on commencing legal proceedings and as such advised me to direct all communication to their legal dept. which I have now done. They were kind enough to inform me that if I commence legal proceedings then the ombudsman will not investigate the case (like I am bothered).

Here is my letter to their legal dept.:

I refer to your Mike Lovelace’s letters dated 7th June 2006 and his subsequent letter dated 5th July 2006.

Abbey have failed to provide a complete breakdown in our early redemption charge to the sum of £3,038.80. Your reason being:

“I can confirm we are not in a position to provide you with the information requested due to the expense that would be incurred in doing so and the commercial sensitivity of that information.”

I would once again draw you to the Office Of Fair Trading’s statement, which was detailed in my initial letter dated 15th May 2006 and reiterated in my subsequent letter dated 31st May 2006:

“A term in a mortgage agreement which requires the borrower to pay more for breaching the contract terms than actual costs and losses caused to the lender by the breach (or a genuine pre-estimate of that) is likely to be regarded as an unfair penalty and to be unenforceable both at common law and (in a consumer mortgage) under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

A redemption charge may be regarded as a penalty even if it is expressed as the price for exercising a right rather than a consequence of breaking the agreement.”

As you are unwilling to provide a complete breakdown of your costs and/or losses then I deem that the full amount of the redemption charge of £3,038.80 to be an unfair penalty and is therefore unenforceable both a common law and under the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations.

I am therefore putting you on notice that unless the full amount of the penalty of £3,038.80 plus interest calculated at a rate of 8% from 29th October 2003 of £659.85 is repaid within 14 days from the date of this letter then court proceedings will be issued without further notice to yourselves for the total of £3,698.65 plus costs.

Should you fail to respond positively within the time scale specified then I put you on further notice that should court proceedings be necessary then I will set you to proof under oath of the full breakdown of these costs and exactly how they are incurred and to provide full written evidence of them.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Surreyscouse

That was sent on 12th July and to date no response. called abbey to see if they passed it on to legal dept (didn't have their fax no.) and the lady will check and call me back.

From now on i will keep this post updated !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks