• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Babs V HSBC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son sent original letter on 12 September 2006 and up to now has only received the past one years statements, which he already had. £800 owed to him in 13 months. He now dreads going further because he could not afford to go to court in case he lost. Is it worth it?

Hey Tiger, it'll be you and me will it...the test case in this area for HSBC!!!!!!!!!!! lol Oh lordy well, it IS WORTH IT, we must keep +ve!

And Mark - thanks we've got to stick together haven't we!

Aaaargh :mad:

Prelim sent to HSBC 10/10/2006 for £5035

no response :x

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL filed 10/11/2006 :eek:

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

HSBC acknowledged MCOL 17/11/2006

HSBC entered defence + case transferred 12/12/06 :mad:

FULL OFFER! Received today 14/12/06 :D

If I have been of assistance, please tip my scales but don't forget, this is only my personal opinion, I'm no legal eagle!

Please sign this petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/PAYUSBACK/

how much does the mcol cost?

Claire,

it depends on how much your claim is for......I'm sure it tells you on the HMCS website as I've read it somewhere!

Good luck, Babs

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

If I have been of assistance, please tip my scales but don't forget, this is only my personal opinion, I'm no legal eagle!

My son sent original letter on 12 September 2006 and up to now has only received the past one years statements, which he already had. £800 owed to him in 13 months. He now dreads going further because he could not afford to go to court in case he lost. Is it worth it?

What can I say,

I hope so otherwise I'm dead! :o

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

Right.

Reassurance time.

The thing to remember here is that you are right and they are wrong. So even if it were to go to court, (be it County or Mercantile), you would still win provided you were well prepared and you understood the legal arguments you are using.

Secondly, the Mercantile court requires full disclosure of all matters material to the case in hand, so, if it were to be referred there the banks would be far more worried about it than you and it may even speed up your claim.

Thirdly, only one case has ever got to any kind of court and it was right at the very beginning. A barrister was used who didn't fully understand the arguments and unfortunately it was lost. The bank used the argument that the charges were a service not a penalty and the barrister was unprepared for this, CAG is not.

Fourthly, even if the bank are considering the inplications of a test case, the implications are, if they lose, they're screwed. You have to remember that although they have paid out over 4 million quid this money is a drop in the ocean to the estimated £3 Billion they make from these charges each year. Would you argue over 4 million if you knew you might lose 3 billion? This site is very successful and very busy but we are still a tiny percentage of people compared to their customer base. In short, they wouldn't risk it.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

:o thank you Jim, in real life I know we're right but it's just so damn scary!

Is this announcement from FD going to affect us....they're a part of HSBC aren't they?

And thanks...you are a :cool: head and very reassuring

Babs

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

I assume you mean the current account charges announcement?

No, HSBC have categorically stated they have no plans to introduce account fees at this time but they wouldn't rule it out.

I suspect HSBC will see how this affects the business of FD before making any kind of decision. I also suspect it will affect FD by driving customers to other banks. :D

You have to ask yourself, why have they done this at this time?

The OFT are about to investigate current account charges to stop banks bleating that their charges are different to those of credit cards. FD must realise that the findings aren't going to go in their favour, they will be forced to reduce the charges and they need to find the money from elsewhere. This is an odd stance in light of the fact that banks state they make no profit from these charges.

• Haha 1

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

Hey Tiger, it'll be you and me will it...the test case in this area for HSBC!!!!!!!!!!! lol Oh lordy well, it IS WORTH IT, we must keep +ve!

And Mark - thanks we've got to stick together haven't we!

Aaaargh :mad:

We'll do it together!

Jimfishybob - thank you so much for your reassurance

I've just had a letter through that tells me I'll have to pay another £130 on my mortgage and so I really need this money.

Mr Tiger has agreed to go for it, I've prepared the spreadsheets and now its all systems go. I'm right in saying that if we do it online we hold on to the spreadsheets to give them if they ask for them? Yes?

Lets do it Babs - if you know what I mean ;):D

• Haha 1

Preliminary letter sent to HSBC - 10 October 2006

received by them 12 October 2006

NO RESPONSE

Letter before action sent to HSBC - 24 October 2006

received by them 26 October 2006

Lets wait and see.......................

HSBC settled 90% claim - 16 November 2006

VERY HAPPY WITH THAT THANK YOU!! :D

LOL Mrs Tiger you are funny, I'm glad of Jimfishybob's reassurance too!

Lets go for it!

With regard to the spreadsheets, I think so yes

Babs x

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

I assume you mean the current account charges announcement?

Yes I do

No, HSBC have categorically stated they have no plans to introduce account fees at this time but they wouldn't rule it out.

I bet!

I suspect HSBC will see how this affects the business of FD before making any kind of decision. I also suspect it will affect FD by driving customers to other banks. :D

LOL out of the frying pan into the fire eh? I spose then that other banks would then use this as an area to compete for customers?

You have to ask yourself, why have they done this at this time?

The OFT are about to investigate current account charges to stop banks bleating that their charges are different to those of credit cards. FD must realise that the findings aren't going to go in their favour, they will be forced to reduce the charges and they need to find the money from elsewhere. This is an odd stance in light of the fact that banks state they make no profit from these charges.

:confused: and will someone please tell me how to quote only a small bit of the message at a time so I don't have to do this!!

Babs

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

Oh yes and did I mention how excited I get each day, going home from work, looking at the pile of post!! How sad am I!!!

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

Me too! If you issue the claim in person you can serve it the same day with the schedule. Im BANking (what a bad pun) on that speeding up the process so I may have some dosh before Xmas

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Me too! If you issue the claim in person you can serve it the same day with the schedule. Im BANking (what a bad pun) on that speeding up the process so I may have some dosh before Xmas

Love the pun - can't believe we're all going to to do it together!! That'll bring the boys over to this thread LOL!!!

I too run for the post as I am a very sad person with no obvious life outside this claim ;) I just really hoped that it wouldn't come to this but unfortunately Mr HSBC you've brought our wrath on yourself so you have no-one else to blame.

NO RESPONSE

Oh yes and did I mention how excited I get each day, going home from work, looking at the pile of post!! How sad am I!!!

It's the first time I've consistently looked forward to opening post daily!!

It's great to see how much encouragement you all give each other - Good Luck! I'm about the same stage as you all at the moment waiting for DG Solicitors to tell me just what their defence will be - the clock's ticking down to 28/11/06..... Fingers crossed we get somewhere in time for Christmas!::|

Zsazsa x

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

HSBC WON £3608.05 inc court costs DONATION MADE

Halifax S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

Halifax WON £1909.39 inc court costs DONATION MADE

:rolleyes: We are too much!

I can picture the scene all over the land...... HSBC customers, running for the postie.......there'll be complaints to the royal mail next you know!!

LOL

:( As it is, I've run home, hoofed the dog out of the way (she was sitting on the post) and found..........a bill from Egg and my Tesco vouchers!

Grrrrrr come on MR HSBC.....I'm waiting........

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

It's the first time I've consistently looked forward to opening post daily!!

It's great to see how much encouragement you all give each other - Good Luck! I'm about the same stage as you all at the moment waiting for DG Solicitors to tell me just what their defence will be - the clock's ticking down to 28/11/06..... Fingers crossed we get somewhere in time for Christmas!::|

Zsazsa x

Welcome to our world zsazsa!

Fingers x'd for you too, keep us posted

Babs x:)

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

Sorry to be a bit of a hijacker here but could someone have a look at my thread and see if you could answer any of my questions PLEASE

Sorry to be a bit needy but we're going to file tonight and I want to make sure it is completely correct

Love the support on this thread - thanks loads

NO RESPONSE

NOOOOO it will be me I know it will - my own slot on the Richard & Judy Show sitting opposite the CEO of HSBC (caking myself) and then all over the SUN and the Daily Sleeze the next day :|

Just doing my MCOL this evening and feeling VERY apprehensive :eek:

Steve. :cool:

Dec 2006 - Sucessfully recovered over £3k from HSBC with much help from CAG :-D

if you found this post helpful, please click my reputation, thank you

(The small print-my advice and opinions are my own, and are given freely and without predjudice or liability whatsoever)

NOOOOO it will be me I know it will - my own slot on the Richard & Judy Show sitting opposite the CEO of HSBC (caking myself) and then all over the SUN and the Daily Sleeze the next day :|

Eeeee....they wouldn't be able to get all the CAG attendees in the studio who'd be willing to lend a hand to you!

Thanks babs - strangely exciting world it is too at the moment!

Zsazsa x

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

HSBC WON £3608.05 inc court costs DONATION MADE

Halifax S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

Halifax WON £1909.39 inc court costs DONATION MADE

Go Steve!

Right here if you need us

Babs

LBA sent 24/10/2006

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

Come on Steve we're all holding hands on this one to take a collective leap into what is the big vast unknown world of the Small Claims Court - eek!!!

We are doing our MCOL tonight too so it'll be great to have yet another person going through it on the same timescales

TP

xx

NO RESPONSE

Love the pun - can't believe we're all going to to do it together!! That'll bring the boys over to this thread LOL!!!

I'm a boy and I was here waaaayyy before I knew there were loads of girls.