Collect Direct UK chasing Gym 'debt'

uksimonuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I have received a letter from a company called Collect Direct UK with "notice of legal proceedings".

until today I had never heard of them nor had any letters or communication with them.

Later that evening I received a phone call saying they were calling from CDUK (Had not opened the letter at that point)

and needed to go through security to which point I stated I wouldn't just give my details out to a random cold caller and hung up.

They then tried to call back seven times which I just rejected each time.

I do recognise the alleged debt as a Gym I used to go to and had argued with them about the contract

however got no where so just stopped talking to them and now this letter has appeared 2 months later

with no letters ever coming from the gym in question.

I have done a little research into CDUK and it appears that their FCA registration has lapsed and the right to do any debt collection is inactive

which I assume means they are not authorised to chase for debts.

Firm Name: Improved Financial Solutions Limited

Interim Permissions Reference Number: 559133

Current status: Lapsed

Register Status Effective Date:

End Date:

Firm Reference Number:

Principal Place of Business Address: Jason House, 2nd Floor Kerry Hill Horsforth

LEEDS

LS18 4JR

Registered Office Address: Spectrum House Bond Street

BRISTOL

BS1 3LG

Phone:

Fax:

0113 259 6900

Richard Lane

Firm name: Improved Financial Solutions Limited

Interim Permissions reference number: 559133

Names

Registered Name Improved Financial Solutions Limited

Previous Registered Names

Trading Names

Collect Direct (UK), Teleperformance Collections, Tp Collections, Cduk, Imfs

Permission

Description

Status

Limitation Against Permission

Permission End Date

Credit brokerage Credit broking

Or

Credit broking limited to credit intermediation Inactive 31/12/2014

Debt collecting Debt collecting Inactive 31/12/2014

Debt-Adjusting on a Commercial Basis Debt adjusting on a commercial basis Inactive 31/12/2014

Debt-Counselling on a Non-Commercial Basis Debt counselling on a non-commercial basis only Inactive 31/12/2014

No right to canvass off trade premises

They hold an interim permission but the FCA website doesnt really explain what the interim permission means or permits them to do.

My question is that if all rights to collect debt are inactive should this company be actively trying to collect on debts? They have no FCA registration details on the letter but state they are authorised and regulated by the FCA for accounts formed under the CCA 1974(amended 2006)

I have had no notice of assignment from the original company, nor any letter giving the debt company permission to deal with this debt.

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks

theres bugger all a no powers DCa can do to you.

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have no such legal powers

stop panicking and read the letter properly

it does nnot say will ANYWHERE.

I've moved you to the gym forum

lots of threads to read here.

who's the gym please?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Simon and welcome to CAG

Forget about CDUK, and whether they are allowed to operate, for now. We need info about the gym m/ship :-

1. What gym is this about and was there a separate company dealing with the m/ship admin.

2. When did you join up.

3. Did you sign for a minimum m/ship period or was it a rolling monthly agreement.

4. If the former, what was the minimum period.

5. Was there any Credit Agreement involved.

6. What was the nature of the argument you had about the contract.

When we have answers, we can assist further.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for your help, sorry for late reply but works manic.

1.What gym is this about and was there a separate company dealing with the m/ship admin.

It is 24/7 Fitness

2. When did you join up.

December 14

3. Did you sign for a minimum m/ship period or was it a rolling monthly agreement.

12 month contract

4. If the former, what was the minimum period.

N/A

5. Was there any Credit Agreement involved.

Really cant remember and have no access to any accounts online etc...

6. What was the nature of the argument you had about the contract.

The argument wasnt about the contract its self it was about the condition of the place and the lack of staff support despite advertising expert staff who will guide you through every step of the way etc... On my first and only visit the equipment was damaged, changing rooms were filthy, no loo roll, no visible staff despite it being during a "manned period" and after 30 minutes I did find a member of staff downstairs they simply said " im on my own and cant help" I joined on the understanding they had trained staff to assist, a fully usable gym and hygienic changing areas and none of those turned out to be correct.

Thanks

Did you just decide, after the experience above, to not go back to the gym.

Did you subsequently discuss your complaint with the gym manager or staff, or put the complaint in writing.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I phoned them so didnt put it in writing and because I got no where with them I became angry and told them to shove it as wouldnt be coming back and therefore not going to pay for the shoddy service they are offering.

Hi Simon,

Did you speak to the gym manager about your issues or did you discuss it with general staff.

Have you only had contact with the gym and then CDUK. Or was their a gym admin involved.

From what you've said so far, you have not made a good case for breaking the agreement so early. You should have put your concerns to the manager or Head Office, preferably in writing thereby giving them the chance to address the complaint and put things right.

I suggest you draft a letter briefly :-

1. Setting out your main concerns about gym equipment, overcrowding and/or hygiene issues.

2. Offering to pay a final month's fee for the notice period which you failed to give.

3. Make the offer time-limited to 14 days.

See other letters here to help with items 2 and 3.

Put the letter here and I'll check it later. Leave off your name, address or anything that would identify you.