Insurance clamer right or wrong?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A week ago I back-bumped into a car that was partially blocking my driveway, it's rear half blocking my path and it's front part blocking a fire-hydrant on a red-marked no parking at any time curb. I gave the car's owner my insurance info and today got a phone call from my insurance company on a claim for the accident. So, since nobody was supposed to be parked there 1) should I involve the city's parking enforcement office on this ? 2) Is this claim something that I should contest? If I do, what are my chances of winning ? Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Railroded1

I'm afraid that you have very little chance of defending or reducing the claim.

Sorry

I'm afraid that if you drove into a stationary vehicle then your chance of even slightly reducing the claim is close to nil. Exceptions to this include really rare events like people parked in the middle of the road in a blizzard who haven't put their lights on.

The fact a person parked badly/shouldn't have been there in the first place will not be considered by a court, it's a totally separate issue. An example of a similar case would be if I got too close and crashed into the back of a drunk driver - they could be charged with a criminal offence but I would still be 100% liable for their vehicle damage/injury claim in a civil court.

I doubt parking enforcement would be bothered unless they caught the person red handed, however if you had a photo you could give it a try. Probably not worth the time though.