Partner Moving Out

Kjh85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm hoping this is the right section.

Bit of a background and please don't judge me. I was convicted of benefit fraud in November last year.

My partner is leaving me and so I need to reclaim benefits. Firstly, will I be able to do this?

Secondly, his car is registered at my address? Can I get this changed? I don't trust him to do it and the last thing I need is for DWP to think he's living here because of that.

His wages normally go into my account but he says he's changed that so hopefully he's telling the truth.

Also, he's on the electoral roll at my address and all his post comes here. What can I do about that?

Any help appreciated!

You should still be able to claim benefits.

To change the owner details of a vehicle has to be done by the registered keeper - You can notify the DVLA that he has moved and you will no longer accept post addressed to him. If he leaves it too long, the DVLA will then start chasing him with a view to prosecuting for a failure to notify.

If this is a joint account, close it down and set up another in your name only. If the account is in your name, cancel any cards, order a new one and instruct your bank to refuse payments from his employer - On second thoughts, it may well be easier just to close the account (depending on how many standing orders & direct debits are currently set up).

You would need to inform the local council that he is moving out - If you are the sole occupant, you would then get a 25% discount on your council tax bill.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The account is in my name only. I need to keep this account as have a overdraft that is in arrears so I'll just cancel the card and notify them not to accept payment.

Thank you for your help

Be careful - if you owe the bank money they might not issue another card if you cancel the one you have

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I'm not going to cancel it. I'll just say I've lost it and need a new one. I've lost a card before and they've sent a new one so shouldn't be a problem.

:Kjh85:

You'll be able to reclaim benefits but, dependent on whether this was a first or subsequent conviction for benefit fraud, any benefits you're otherwise entitled to, may be paid at a reduced rate or not at all for up to three years. Between four and thirteen weeks after a first conviction, dependent on the date of the offence. And as I expect you already know, Jobcentreplus/the Local Authority will make deductions to recover the overpayment from any new award they do pay.

Yes inform your local authority, in writing, that your partner is moving out and when. Unless he's good reason not to, he'll need to register to vote from his new address. All that post can be marked 'gone away, return to sender', and popped back in the post box.

If you're trying to put your mistakes behind you and get your life back together, good luck, Margaret.

Thank you Margaret. It was a first offence. I am already repaying Housing Benefit

I'm just worried I'm not going to be able to afford to live and with 3 children to feed I'm worried sick.