• Tweets

• The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
    • Hello everyone,   Just thought id post an update.   I've today now finally received a claim form from PRA Group. Bit annoying as the last payment to them would have August 2018 so was nearly over the line. I believe my only grounds for defence is that they haven't managed to produce a copy of the DN notice, however from some online research I managed to find some case law that stated they can use their systems screenshot to show proof of it being sent.   I know I have to respond back to their claim form and will do so online on moneyclaim, is now the time to pick up the phone to them and negotiate a deal?   Any advice as always is much appreciated it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help with Halifax repossession

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My sister is in deep trouble which sadly she has kept from the whole family.

Her husband and her split up about 18 months ago, she remained in the family home with her two children, he went on and bought a house elsewhere.

It's now come to light that she is unable to pay the mortgage as in all the time that has elapsed since he left, her husband has refused to pay anything against the mortgage.

She works part time as she has the children more or less full time apart from school, her husband has them on an occasional Sunday.

I've now learnt 3rd hand that the bank are repossessing due to the arrears on the mortgage :!:

I have no idea what she owes arrears wise, I've arranged to visit her tonight to see if I can get the full story. From what I've been told it sounds like she is ready to walk away from the house and hand the key back

I know her mortgage was for around £100k the house is probably worth about £180k in today's market.

The question is does the bank have to give her the option of transferring the mortgage to an interest only one? Or is it at their discretion?

I'm sure if we can get the mortgage changed over to a interest only one, the family can rally round sort out the arrears and hopefully get the house up for sale.

it's a big house much larger than she needs and I'm sure if she could sell it and end up with a decent deposit for a cheaper, smaller house it would be a huge help.

I'm not in possession of all the facts at the moment so bare with me lol

just wanted to know if the interest only option was one we could force the Halifax to grant, surely the court wouldn't look favourably on them if this was denied?

thanks in advance :-D

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Hello,

There is an extremely good advisor called Ellenn here who will be able to provide you with more advice.

Perhaps in the meantime you can give details such as:

1. The total amount of arrears

2. How long is left on the mortgage.

If this does go to court, the judge would require evidence that the arrears can be paid off. My suggestion is that you should not let the bank bully you into making possibly unrealistic payments over a short term, since the arrears can be repaid over the entire length of the mortgage.

As for the mortgage company switching to interest payments, they would need to be contacted and needs to be requested. Failing this, it may be possible to switch to another mortgage provider who will offer interest only payments.

As I've said, there is an extremely good advisor Ellenn who will be able to provide you with better advice.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

thank you, hopefully I'll have that info by tonight

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Hi, come back when you have seen your sister. We need to know how much the arrears are and how many payments she has missed.

It might be an idea to do a budget sheet with her to see what her position really is. I have affixed the one we normally use (it calculates automatically as you fill it in) - if you can't do it on a computer then print it off and fill in by hand.

Budget Sheet.xls

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi everyone, I now have an idea of what's going on.

I also have some figures.

ok, original mortgage was for £138k to date it's £106k plus arrears of £4.5k

The house is valued at £180k. I t was a 25 year mortgage (I think ) in 2003

When they split up my sister's husband bought a cheap house on a loan which has been secured against the property, not sure how that works??? the loan is for £28k

So he lives in this new house and pays the loan every month, yet has paid nothing against the mortgage for over 2 years.

My sister had paid the mortgage alone since April 2012.

The Halifax agreed for her to pay the interest only on the mortgage in April 2012, this agreement ran until October 2013. The monthly payment of the mortgage is £820.42, the interest only section is £416.00 which she has paid every month.

Last October Halifax refused to continue the interest only payments and insisted on full payments which they know my sister can't afford. She did a breakdown of her living costs which shows after everything is paid she has zero left.

it appears that it is now the Halifax's policy not to arrange meetings in your branch!!!

My sister requested an appointment, they refused and told her she has to ring up and talk to someone on the phone!!!

She wrote and complained to them in October, told them she was not in a position to pay the full mortgage she'd already provide evidence of her earnings.

She received no response. She rang them 2 weeks ago after getting the "we are going to repossess you home" letter.

They told her they'd responded to her letter/complaint back in November 2013 and would send her a copy which they did

Because the date is over 6 months ago I suppose she can't go to the FOS?

So because she's continued to pay her interest only payments they claim she is now in arrears of £4.5k

She said they are a complete bunch of t**** to deal with and everytime she rings she gets passed around and never speaks to the same person twice :|

In her budget she can afford to pay the interest only but not the full mortgage

She wants to be able to swap the mortgage for an interest only so she can try and sell the house and then move on with her life.

In all of this her husband pays child support for the children but nothing else.

the breakdown of her earnings/benefit is below

wages £320.00

child benefit £146.00

child tax credit £815.00

child support £217.00

her outgoings excluding the mortgage are £1064

She's asked if I can get some advice can I ring Halifax and pretend to be her lol, she's wasted £100 on a financial advisor who admitted the Halifax were a nightmare but doesn't appear to have helped her at all!!! :-x

Hi, I think the best thing to do is for her to write to them formally requesting they re-instate the interest only until the house is sold. I can draft a letter if you need me to?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Unfortunately many people are in similar situations these days.

Has your sister considered a lease option for the property? This could result in her mortgage payments being taken over by another party, while your sister could remain in the property and pay rent for an agreed period of time so that she could get back on her feet financially

She would have to be very careful when considering either sell and lease back or rent back - there are lots of companies who will offer a quick sale but will only give 75-80% ( or less in some cases) of the property, effectively robbing you of your equity so they can sell and take a big profit. They will offer to rent your home back but often they don't tell you it is only for a short time and then suddenly they will want to sell to get the equity. Be careful !

Hi, I think the best thing to do is for her to write to them formally requesting they re-instate the interest only until the house is sold. I can draft a letter if you need me to?

thanks, that would be great :-D

Unfortunately many people are in similar situations these days.

Has your sister considered a lease option for the property? This could result in her mortgage payments being taken over by another party, while your sister could remain in the property and pay rent for an agreed period of time so that she could get back on her feet financially

I don't think that's an option, she just wants to get it sold, move on and make a new start

Hi, I'll draft a letter and put it on here in the morning.

Hi, I'll draft a letter and put it on here in the morning.

thank you so much, I'm very grateful x

No problem, you're welcome :)

Hi, affixed is the letter to send to the Halifax. Your sister should complete the budget sheet I gave you on a previous post and send with letter (she needs to keep a copy of the letter and budget sheet).

Send by special (or recorded) delivery and keep the receipt safe so you can check on the royalmail website a few days after posting to print off the signature receipt - then keep that safe with the copy letter - it's very important you do this as we will need the copy letter and proof it was received, if we have to defend court action.

thank you so much

I'll drop this off tonight and get to post it ASAP :-)

don't forget the budget sheet :)

don't forget the budget sheet :)

that too :-)

Latest on this my sister has now received court papers.

The letter we sent must has crossed in the post.

There were 2 letters, first one the court letter, then one from a legal firm who are acting for Halifax. Their letter was an invitation to contact them about coming to an arrangement.

I rang them, pretended to be my sister, basically there are three options

1. she pays all the arrears to date and begins to pay the FULL monthly mortgage payment

2. she arranges to pay off the arrears and begins to pay FULL monthly mortgage payments

3. they take the house

They refused to discuss anything else, told me I needed to get independent legal advice

I then rang Halifax again most unhelpful, repeated the above options, not their policy to let my sister continue to pay the interest only, refused to discuss a new mortgage due to the arrears.

The court hearing is on 12th August if she can get her house on the market they MAY choose to suspend the repossession for 3 months, but she has to prove the house is up for sale but they can't guarantee they will stop the action......

what a mess :(

OK, if she really wants to sell the house, then get it on the market as soon as possible - you will need to provide proof of this to the court (i.e. contract with estate agent). We can then help you with defence papers for the court hearing.

I note that Halifax say they may choose to suspend possession - it's not their decision ! the judge makes the decision ! and I'm sure he would be very interested to hear that Halifax are telling you differently . If the house is on the market and your sister can carry on with the payments she is already making, there is a very good chance the judge will suspend possession pending sale of the house.

• 4 months later...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?437042-repossessed-house-undervalued&p=4652965#post4652965

My sister lost the house :-(

the above link is for a new thread I've created as she now has new problems