Being a lodger, can I be turfed out?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I basically lodge in a 3 bed flat with the owner and another flatmate. There was no paperwork, no legal contracts signed, nothing but a receipt written out for my deposit. Now I've given landlady so to speak, one month notice that I will be moving out end of November, but said I'll take last month free rent as a deposit payback. Now I know this isn't how it should work, but I really don't trust her giving my deposit back as she is skint and in lots of debt. She's threatened to throw my stuff out if I haven't paid rent in a week, but can she do this? Is it not the law to give at least one month's notice? If I came home to find my stuff outside with changed locks, could I phone police for touching my possessions or something?

As a lodger, you have no security of tenure. You can be thrown out at any time, without any warning, and without any reason.

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

If she throws your stuff outside, you can do nothing. However, if she throws your stuff outside and it is subsequently lost or stolen, you can sue her for damages.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!