ESA WRAG and the Work Programme

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, as a member of the above ESA group my time on the Work Programme (which I started while on JSA, fwiw) ends this month. To that end the JC have written to call me in for a 'post WP support interview', however I have been told that for people in my position this shouldn't happen. This is apparently because the WP doesn't end after two years if on ESA. Can anyone confirm the correct position here? The DWP claim that the WP ends after two years (i started in April 2012) regardless of what benefit you are on or were on when you were referred.

FWIW also the WP has proven no help at all and I am not particularly comfortabnle dealing with the JC again. I am undergoing a mental health assessment process and would rather avoid all this as much as possible.

Thank you.

:ghost whistler:

The correct information is that a referral to the work programme lasts for two years, no matter how many times benefits or circumstances change. (Unless the claimant gets a job.)

Mandatory work related activity lasts for as long as a claimant's in receipt of employment n support with the work related activity component. The appointment will probably be a work focused interview to discuss what else you can do to improve your chances of finding and keeping a job. But the adviser can't mandate you to look for a job or undertake work experience.

Margaret.

:ghost whistler:

You may be thinking of the Help to Work Scheme, which only applies to jobseekers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/help-to-work-scheme-announced-by-the-government

There's one or two schemes around to 'encourage' claimants of employment n support into work. The Manchester scheme, and one of the work programme providers (think it's Ingeus) are trialling mental health support. But I'm not aware of any legislative or policy changes to mandate claimants of ESA into work or work experience.

Margaret.

Are you sure they can't compel work experience? isnt that the governments big thing at the moment, starting in April?

Margaret is correct: as things stand, ESA claimants cannot be mandated (whether through the WP or JCP's own schemes) to:

1) Apply for jobs

2) Undertake unpaid work experience

3) Undertake medical treatment

Compulsory work experience applies only to JSA claimants.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Margaret is correct: as things stand, ESA claimants cannot be mandated (whether through the WP or JCP's own schemes) to:

1) Apply for jobs

What can be expected of WRAG claimants?

• 2 months later...

1) Apply for jobs

HAHA!!!

Number 3 applies to me and another user as ingeus have been pestering us to sign a consent form so they can provide health care to us in the Health and work programme pilot for ESA WRAG. Could you please point us to the appropriate DWP guidance or legislation on this cheers as i feel it will soon be needed. :-)

Edit, unless its some common law right or human right not to be forced into unwanted medical treatment as that sounds plausible to, sorry for my ignorance heading to google now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/306483/wp-pg-chapter-3a-22-october-2012.pdf

Page 7, paragraph 24:

24. When deciding whether activity is reasonable in a participant’s

circumstances you need to consider:

• The claimant’s personal circumstances such as any health condition

they may have, their ability to use transportation, their skills/education,

any childcare responsibilities the claimant may have etc. These

examples are not exhaustive.

• You must also remember that the participant’s claimant group affects

the nature of their participation. For example, although mandatory ISLP

and ESA participants can be supported towards employment they

cannot be mandated to:

• apply for jobs, or

• take up work

Mandatory ESA participants cannot be required to undertake medical

treatment

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.