Tax Credits letter - please help

Wimpy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I really hope you can help me.

I received a letter a couple of weeks ago

saying that HMCR have made random check on my CTC claim

and that CRA check has shown someone as living here (named the person).

Now that person is daughter's Dad who was helping me out by getting finance on kitchen appliance.

I spoke to CAB and explained this to them and that he pays child maintenance though a joint savings account.

CAB said to call them and explain circumstances which I did.

When I spoke to them and explained they said that more was showing up at my address

but wouldn't say what due to data protection.

They asked me if any post had come for him and I said no

but in hindsight I do remember junk mail

but I just binned it and

on asking him he said that my eldest daughter had given him some post when I was at work

but he forgot what it was.

He isn't my partner which I explained but is very good and sees his daughter regular

and pays me quite a bit of maintenance per month

which when I checked with CAB (as was in a panick about not declaring it) they said that I didn't have to.

My query now is that I have spoken to them what do I do.

I am petrified to call them again just in case they ask me something that I can't given them an answer to.

This all seems to have happened when my eldest left to get her own flat

but has on occasions come back home due to ill health and stayed here again (mold in her flat)

and she maybe giving it up now anyway.

When I asked her about giving him post she said that it came when I was at work

and she just gave it to him when he dropped off his daughter after picking her up from after school club.

I work full-time.

He does spend considerable time here with daughter so I am not sure

whether to stop this though this will upset him and daughter.

I have to send the paperwork in by end of this week

and am panicking as to whether to just send it in

(everything is registered to me etc etc as it is a mortgaged property).

Do I send a covering letter, if so what do I put?

I don't know what they seem to have with his name on it other than the finance he took out which was good of him.

The only other thing is that he is using a mobile number I have registered under my name

as eldest was ringing up some huge bills so he said he would pay me the money

and have sim (as it is under contract until mid 2014)

and get my eldest a capped mobile tarriff so she can't go over,

which sounded reasonable at the time but now I am panicking that this might be picked up as well.

I'm really trying not to panick and have just been so ill with a viral bug on top of this.

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice please.

Thanks

Hi is there anyone who can answer any of my queries please. I was also wondering with regard to bank statements if my address needs to be on them as I have printed them from internet banking and it doesn't show my address. Also I am sure I read somewhere that you can blank off some of the transactions but which ones do I need to keep on them but I do have my annual statement with regard to mortgage to come through for last 12mths will this be OK? Would it just be utility payments, mortgage/rent payments, loan payments, credit card payments etc that I have to show on statements? Can I blank off shopping payments and things like general store card payments or do I keep these on? With regard to telephone and gas / elec bills do they need the breakdown pages or just the initial page with address and amount paid with period dates of bills? Sorry if I'm duplicating questions from others.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me.

Hello there.

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet. This isn't a very busy forum and not many people know the answers. As weekends are always quiet here, I hope that the guys in the know will be along soon.

Please bear with us. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you Honeybee. Just panicking as only have about 4 days before paperwork needs to be there. I just feel physically sick with worry. I will try and be patient. Thanks again.

Send in all the evidence they've asked for and send a covering letter to explain the situation. Until you know if that is sufficient there isn't much advice that can be given.

Things like having a joint account/finance etc is what flags this up.

It may be better for you to set up a single account that he pays maintenance to. There's no need for a joint account if separated.

The situation with the mobile, why does it need to be in your name? You say he uses it but it's because of your child?

The kitchen is easy to explain.

You can check your credit report yourself to see what else might be there.

Hi Blondebubbles,

The mobile was set up a few years ago for my eldest so was ongoing upgrades but she started to run up huge bills so youngest daughter's Dad said he would have sim and use number and give me the money for costs and get her a capped mobile plan which I did. It was just that the contract was upgraded a couple of months in with a smart phone which is what the problem was.

He asked for a joint acc to prove he was paying maintenance just in case we had a dispute as this was a mutual agreement. However, his payments are quite erratic ie can be weekly or fortnightly and different amounts as he pays what he can afford once he has taken out what he wants/needs.

Having read quite a lot of threads and peoples experiences I am not sure what to put in the covering letter. I am not sure what post he had come to my address as he says he can't remember. I am really worried about this as it looks like this is against me.

Have a read through some of this if you get a chance, it'll give you an idea of what compliance look at. I didn't know what your situation was with this person to post the exactly link ie married, divorced, previously a couple but not married etc

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/MANUALS/ccmmanual/CCM15000.htm

Thanks BB

We were briefly a couple many years ago although we have never lived together but we do get along for the sake of our daughter and have encouraged a good relationship as my eldests Dad was a prat to be blunt and never paid maintenance at all and only saw her when it suited him but this always caused problems and I can see the effects that this has had on her so I didn't want it for youngest. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again

Sorry can't really tell you exactly what to write but explain what you've wrote here. Explain who he is, what the relationship is, what ties you have. Only mentioned the man they are asking about. You have mentioned both dads here and it can be slight confusing as to which one you are referring to. I don't mean that to be rude, you just want them to understand and no ask anymore questions that necessary.

You just need to be open and honest about it all.

Oh god. I have just read through the link and with regard to maintenance and the joint acc this could be problematic as his payments are erratic and vary in frequency of when he transfers them. My wages and TC + FA just about cover all the bills etc but I would be short on shopping and treats if this maintenance was not paid. I am in debt already as many years ago my ex-partner (no kids) basically took me for a fool after only a few months of buying house and I had to pay him off. I did manage to until recent years with recession and no wage rise for 5years and cost of living going up as have many peoples.

It youngest daughter Dad they mention. I have had ties with ex-partner (no kids) or eldest daughters Dad for years. When I spoke to them on the phone i told them about the joint acc and that it was set up for maintenance payments, that he took out finance for the kitchen appliance etc, but it was just that the lady mentioned there was something else but wouldn't say what. She asked me about post coming to address and at the time I really couldn't think of anything but in hindsight there was junk mail but I thought nothing of it and binned as I do get junk mail for other people as well and just bin it. Maybe I should just pop it back in post box next time....lesson learned there. However, I did ask him if he had post from my address and he said yes and that my eldest daughterhad given it to him when he dropped off her off. I wasn't aware of this post otherwise if it looked official I would have put this back in the post box.

Sorry that should have read eldest D gave post to youngest D Dad when I was at work when he dropped off youngest D. God my head is all over the place.

It's not the post itself that's an issue, it's what the post contains. Tax credits wouldn't care about junk mail but if (for example) the persons bank thought that's his address that's a different issue.

As I said, you can check your credit report to see if there is anything else. They may accept everything you say and that's the end of it. We're really just guessing at this stage.

BB... Do you know if I can blank out things on bank statements and if so what? I read somewhere that some information is not relevant on statements. Also do I need to send all the information pages of utility bills and phone bills or just page that states address, period of bill and amount?

I am sure his bank statements go to his home address and I know he has a catalogue addressed to there as he ordered D an Xmas present but had it delivered here to my address. He lived with his mum and dad for last few years after he lost flat but when I did an electoral roll search on him he wasn't coming up anywhere.

Sorry about all the questions but I do need to send off all the cubbings with utility bills ie usage and also I have tv/broadband/phone with one supplier do they need all the breakdown cubbings or just the initial bill page with name, address, billing period and amount? Do they want credit card statements and loan stuff as well?

BB

Yes I went through everything last night and today and just printed everything off. They wanted last 6mths of 2013 bank statements, gas, elec, phone, council tax, mortgage or rent statements/agreements but didn't say if they wanted all the kilowatt usage on the gas/elec or breakdown on phone etc so I've sent everything with a covering letter by recorded delivery. Trouble is because I have been so ill with a virus, which I think has been made worse by all this, I wasn't up to getting info together earlier and its been a bit last minute. I haven't had time to check credit reports etc but I'm guessing if there is anything else there is nothing I can do about it. I still need to have a good talk with D Dad about all this but he has been keeping his distance since I first asked him about the post issue. Thank god my eldest D (she is in her 20's) is around to help me with youngest D as I really do feel quite down at the moment.

I really don't know what to think about all this at the moment I'm just in a right panick about it. Looking back there are definitely things that should have been done differently ie, joint acc for maintenance payments, asking him to help with kitchen appliance but what is done is done. I know I shouldn't read too much into other posts as everyone's circumstances are different but I keep pinching bits here and bits there and putting it altogether and coming up with stupid things. I know I shouldn't but its so frightening when you get one of those letters. I wouldn't have been so panicked except the lady at HMRC said that there was something else showing up other than the kitchen thing but there shouldn't even be anything else. I am really worried that he has been using my address for something else.

Now its a terrifying waiting game. I really do appreciate you replying to my posts and can only sympathise with others that have and are about to receive these letters through their doors. I am just one of life's panickers. I panick when there is a police care behind me on the road thinking they are going to pull me over when I haven't even done anything!

I am in a real panick now and I don't know what to do for the best so some advice would really be welcomed. D Dad came round today to speak to me about the compliance letter after a few frantic phone calls to him. He has admitted that his car, car insurance and license are registered to my address also his work but he has changed this now, which is too little to late because they are investigating. How can that happen without my knowledge? I am now guessing thats what the post was that came to my address when my eldest gave it to him. I wasn't aware of this car stuff and now I'm panicking like crazy. I have sent all the paperwork in to HMRC yesterday. Please help me. I am going to contact bank and take my name off the joint acc. He has suggested that because of all this mess and the fact that eldest D has moved out (though not sure if she is moving back depending on whether her landlord sorts out problem with her flat) could he move in and try and help me with this mess as he wants to put things right espescially for the sake of our D. Cheek! I am so mad with him. He's panicking that I am going to stop him from seeing her as we have always been amicable and got on. I am thinking about cancelling my TC claim today as next payment goes in next week and because of what he has told me today I don't want to get into any more trouble. What do I say to them when I ring them to stop claim because if they ask me questions I'm going to freak out as I'm still trying to get my head around all this. I can't stop shaking. Please help me.

Can someone please get back to me. I feel sick all time and really don't know what to do. Please. I'm really scared and don't know what to do. Please please please someone. I am debt already which is bad enough and looking at other threads and decisions made by HMRC on cases it looks like they will say he lives here. I don't know what to do. I've sent everything off which shows that I'm self support and in debt anway but what he's told me today I'm dreading that they will prosecute me. Please help!

Give people a chance to reply, people will be at work/out for the day etc.

Look I know you are worried but no one here is going to be able to tell you the outcome. The decision lies with the compliance officer. I am not a compliance officer plus I only have your side of the story. The officer dealing with your case will have the facts and the evidence. Ending your claim now won't help, that will just look like you are admitting your claim is wrong.

You will just need to be patient and wait for them to look over your evidence and then they will respond.

If you are genuinely a single person then you shouldn't be so worried. You should be able to tell yourself that you have done everything right.

If they don't agree with you and believe you are part of a couple then you have the right to appeal but you'll need to just wait for a decision.