I seem to be on both contribution based and income related ESA and I'm confused!

littlegreycells
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm after some advice, as I'm really confused about my ESA. I received a letter a couple of weeks ago telling me of the benefit changes that will be happening in April, and at the end of the letter was a breakdown of how my money is worked out. They've referred to it as income related, but then at the end there is a top up of a couple of pounds, so that I'm not worse off than I was before, which is described as contribution based. I don't understand how I can get contribution based, because I've never paid any NI contributions because I've been ill and on sickness benefits since I turned 16. Does anyone know where I stand with being able to get free prescriptions etc? Because for as long as I can remember I've been getting low income certificates each year in order to get help with health costs, and I'm just filling out the form to apply for a new one, and it says on the front that if you're on income based esa, you don't need to apply. Then obviously I got the letter about the change in benefits, and it's just confused me loads. Since the majority of my esa is income based, do I just put that? Thanks in advance.

:littlegreycells:

Lots of us have been :???: by a letter from Jobcentreplus at one time or another. Letters about employment n support often start with what an income related award would be, followed by how much they're going to pay on a contributions basis.

You don't say how old you are but conversion awards from incapacity benefit in youth and severe disablement allowance are treated as contributions flavoured. Conversion awards from income support are income flavoured.

Any income flavoured employment n support is an automatic 'passport' to free prescriptions etcetera. If your award is treated as wholly contributions flavoured, it's back to 'help with health costs'.

Best wishes, Margaret.

Hi Margaret, thanks for your speedy reply. I'm 23, nearly 24. since the contribution based part is only the top up, does it mean I'm classed as being on income based? I dont want to have to fill out the health costs form unnecessarily cos it's a rather large form, but the only other option is to ring jcp which I can't really do because it's an 0845 number and it'll cost loads :/ if I'm on income based it would make life a hell of a lot easier, what with my ten odd prescriptions per month and frequent trips to drs appointments!

:littlegreycells:

Without sight of the letter I can't be hundred per cent certain which flavour your award is. And cos of the way employment n support is structured, I wouldn't rely on Jobcentreplus for correct advice over the phone either.

From what you've written I think the most likely possibility is that you had an award of incapacity benefit in youth which was converted to contribution flavoured employment n support. Do you still have any of your early award letters? Seems unlikely that you've completed HC1s for several years if you didn't need to.

If you've lost your old paperwork, I'd suggest completion of the HC1 for now and a subject access request to Jobcentreplus.

Best wishes, Margaret.