life has new meaning

rogerebaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Being the father of four early 20s kids and having seen everyone of them struggle with these bank charges I have decided to strike back. Not only that, it costs me a small fortune bailing them out on a regular basis. Thankfully now they are getting straight but no thanks to the greedy banks.

I have sent a DPA letter to Barclays on the 2nd April on behalf of my daughter, I sent it by 1st class post. Im begiining to think I should have sent it registered. I also never enclosed the #10 fee. I will try ringing the customer services people that are mentioned on this site. It appears that gets more results.

DPA letter taken directly to my sons branches of woolwich requesting DPA disclosure. This time I did enclose a cheque.

Sending a DPA letter to Barclay card in the next few days on behalf of son.

Sending DPA letter to Capital one on behalf of same son

Sending DPA letter to Smile. Only a small amount but Im on a roll

I still have two more kids which I havnt started on yet.What is dreadfull is that the amount that they have gone over the limit on overdrafts etc has been tiny. In total it probably dosnt amount to more than a couple of hundred quid over the last few years but I anticipate the total charges will be several thousand pounds.Being in the fortunate position of not having to work to hard any more this quest has given new meaning to the day and you never know, when the refunds start coming in they may pay me back what they owe me, Fat chance.I will update this thread when things start happening.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

kaowelcome.gif

Please start a thread for each claim, it will help you and people who read your posts to keep track. Post updates on the relevant threads as they come. If you need the title changed to reflect the progression in your claims, pm me with the relevant URL and I'll gladly do that for you.

Keep us posted.

well done, glad to hear you are fighting back!

Will look out for your updates (in each specific thread for each bank and person of course as per above post!)

I was thinking about it before Christmas, it took me till February to gather up my courage and resolution to fight back a large institution (the bank) and start the process. It's a very satisfying feeling to not take being fleeced, lying down anymore!

Still waiting for some statements to arrive so I can get cracking. I will split the claims into threads as and when I get the statements. Just one question which is confusing me. If the account was in overdraft when the charges where levied I can claim back the interest on the charges during the initial approach for payment.

Is this done using the spread sheet or do I have to try and work out bearing in mind the interest rates vary and change over the years.

Do I assume it is 8% from the day of the charge.

I appreciate that if it gets to court action you can add the 8% from when the charge was incurred using the spreadsheet.

Its about the only thing that is a bit confusing

7 actions in progress

The initial claim is for the 'penalty charges' and 'interest charges,' as they appear on your statements. You can use the spreadsheet to add them up if you wish...

The 8% APR is ONLY a valid addition once the court awards judgement, although when you send your second letter before action, it includes the line "I will be claiming a refund, costs and interest at 8% APR" or words to that effect.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Split all the claims, 5 in total. This one will track the Barclays claim.

Decided to send another DPA request 18.4.06 by recorded delivery with the #10 this time.

At worst Ive lost a couple of weeks.

Theres gonna be a big party in my house when all these get paid back

all welcome

7 actions in progress

I kind of know how you feel, as I am claiming on behalf of my brother who has banked with Barclays for years. A typical example of his is that he had a phone bill direct debit refused and was charged £100 in total (as they resubmitted it a few days later and it was refused again). The more I look at the charges that they have imposed, the angrier I've become, especially as he only earns £5.75 p/h.

I feel like a woman on a mission (I have another thread running on this board).

I sent my DPA request to customer services in Leicester with a £10 cheque and had all the paperwork back from them within 6 working days (and they returned my cheque too!). So maybe give them a go? (I sent it recorded delivery too)

Good luck. I hope you get all of their money back.

Statements received yesterday no £10 cheque perhaps they have decided to keep those to try and recoup some money.

Total charges £975.

first letter will be hand delivered to branch this afternoon

Rog

7 actions in progress

• 3 weeks later...

Received an acknowledgment from Jay Kandaswarmy on the 4th May usual looking into blah blah blah blah

LBA typed, envelope written, press print button

Bugger !!! run out of ink in the printer, must be all the letters Im sending.

Epson have bought Barclays another days grace !

7 actions in progress

• 3 weeks later...

Letter received from Barclays offering 450

I was just about to do the MCOL form.

Just to show willing I have accepted the 450 as part payment but as a gesture of goodwill and in attempt to avoid court proceedings I have given them until the 6th to consider my response to their offer and pay me the whole amount.

Im not holding out much hope but you never know and I want to be able to show the court that Ive been reasnoble.

7 actions in progress

• 4 weeks later...

If there is a deal to be had they will offer it to you - don't contact the solicitors direct. If you do this they may think you are after a quick settlement and offer you a silly amount.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Court date set as the 23 October 2006 10.30am for estimated 2 hours

Judge has ordered that all documents are to be served on all parties by the 11th September.

I wrote on the AQ that the Judge should ask for Barclays to disclose how their charges are calculated. I think that this is what he has done indirectly by ordering all documents to be served by the 11th Sept.

Shouldnt be long now

7 actions in progress

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to deliver a large bundle of statements etc etc by hand to barclays E14 address.

If you want to see where all the charges have gone look no further than this place.

To describe it as massive dosnt do it justice to be honest I was quite taken aback by it.

Security guard reckons about 6000 people work there.

ummmmmmmm

I look forward to receiving Barclays offering before the 12th.

7 actions in progress

Barclays were due to supply me with statements / documents by today but surprise surprise nothing arrived.

I have written to the district judge asking for him to issue judgement in my favour due to them clearly ignoring the judges instructions.

interesting to see what the judge says

7 actions in progress

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I hadnt written to the judge now.

Had a letter today from the court saying theyve cancelled the hearing for the 23rd october and changed it to a directions hearing on the 25th October. The order states both parties must attend.

Anyone any ideas whats going on hear.

7 actions in progress

I think something like this happened to people with cases in Southend. The court was just trying to collect cases into one session. Barclays (surprise surprise) paid up before the court directions hearing.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

• 2 weeks later...

Nasty letter received from Barclays collections at Leicester stating that either payments are made into the account or they cancel the overdraft and start charging for going overdrawn. This account has been dormant since the claim started

They got a bloody nerve. The account is only a couple of hundred quid overdrawn and well within the 500.00 limit and the claim is for 1300.00

I Could pay it off but I aint going to out of principle.

Very snotty letter written back advising them if they think threats like this will make me give up theyve got another thing coming.

copy it to KJ at Barclays litigation and to the judge at County court where its due to be heard on the 25th October.

I think I will put a fiver in the account at least then they cant say I havnt complied with their request.

20 days to go and counting

7 actions in progress

Rather quick reply to complaint

They will not be taking any action on the account until after the court case. Well they wont have to after cause it will be 800.00 in credit !

10 days to court and counting

7 actions in progress

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks