Advice please on Statute Barred and CCJ possibilities

Moving_on
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I was a university student from 2005-2009. I had a student account, with £1400 overdraft, with Natwest from 2005 until September 2008 (When a notice was issued under section 76(1) and 96(1) of the CCA 1974.

I saw foolish enough to apply for a £5000 loan in October 2007 from Natwest, which I was approved for, despite being unemployed. I could not afford to pay this loan and a default notice was issued in October 2008 under section 87(1) of the CCA 1974.

The last payment I made to either of these accounts was 25th July 2008.

Other pertinent information:

• Default date for loan on Credit Expert says 12/2008 despite Default Notice saying 10/2008.
  • Default date for overdraft on Credit Expert says 12/2008 despite Overdraft Notice saying 09/2008.
  • Both accounts not updated on Credit Expert since 08/2010.

My Questions:

1. Should the overdraft receive a default notice like the loan?
  2. As I have not acknowledged either account since 07/2008, will they become Statute Barred in 9 months?
  3. Will Natwest wait until the last minute and then file for a CCJ?
  4. How common is it for them to not update an account for over 3 years?

Thank you for reading. I hope somebody can help.

1. Yes, once the bank decides to actually call the overdraft. They can, in essence, do this whenever they wish

2. They will become statute barred 6 years after the point where they could first bring action against you for the money, for loans this is typically a few months after the payments stop, for overdrafts this will be 6 years after they decide to call in the overdraft - whenever that may have been.

3. I cannot answer this, I've no idea what their policies and processes are - in effect it's up to them

4. Quite common.

Best wishes,

Seq.

Thank you sequenci for your reply.

I would just like to fire a couple more questions back at you. I am still not in a position to pay, but am just curious as to whether I should expect a CCJ within the next year.

1. For the 6 year time period to begin on loans becoming statute barred, you said it was a few months after the payments stop. Is this as soon as they issue a default notice or is there a different event which prompts the start of the 6 years?
  2. How common is it for them to start chasing the debt again after many years of not doing so?

The reason I ask Question 1 above is that I have read that the time period begins from the last time the debt was acknowledged or a payment was made. Is this information wrong?

1. One the default has expired they could sue you, so the cause of action would start once that has happened. Some contracts might state that they have to serve a termination notice first. This would be when they can first sue. That's when the 6 years would start for either.

2. It's reasonably common.