Ebay and PayPal

miket82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been a member of eBay and Paypal for a number of years. I buy and occasionally sell. Last December I purchased an Android tablet from Prestige (International) based in Orpington Kent for approx £139 with a warranty of 12 months. It all went wrong in August when I returned it for a screen repair as it had dimmed to the point that unless you were sitting in a darkened room and held it at a very particular angle you couldn't see what was going on. It was returned the same as I had sent it, Prestige said there was nothing wrong with it but if I sent it back again they would look at it again etc. Given that it had cost be almost £17 in postage for a no-fix result I offered to meet them on neutral ground, agree an independent assessor or pay the post for a new tablet in place of the faulty unit. I requested a written statement of the warranty Prestige sold the item under. All this was ignored. I made a complaint to eBay and to give them their due offered and I accepted a £25 voucher for the grief I had experienced. I then attempted a charge-back under section 75 of the SOGA via my credit card supplier who refused it saying that I had paid Prestige via PayPal and it was therefore not liable. PayPal and eBay only cover for 45 days max. I am pursuing the credit card company as my understanding is that PayPal were only acting as an indirect payer particularly as I keep my PayPal account at zero at all times and use them as a type of escrow account.

Am I wrong or should I continue? Any advice would be much appreciated.

In the meantime be careful of Prestige based in Orpington and do not confuse them with companies of similar names.

I've had eBay buyers attempt credit card chargebacks for payments they have made via Paypal.

It is definitely possible. Their chargebacks were on the grounds that their Paypal account had been used without their permission - so a different issue to yours.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!