Can we do anything about landlord demanding more rent.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am asking this question on behalf of my son,

he rented a room in a houseshare whilst at uni. They were all verbally told that the contract ended on 31st may 2013 and that the rent would be so much per week/month.

Anyway they were all sent a copy of the contract by email, with no signatures, which said that the tenancy ran for (9)(10) months from 1st september 2012 and that the tennancy would come to an end (31st may)(30th june). Nothing was crossed out, apparently they all signed a different contract but he then sent then this revised contract before they took up residence there.

To cut a long story short, they all paid £300 deposit each, he is not giving it back to them as he says that they owe him rent until the end of June and in fact they actually owe him more money as he miscalculated the monthly payments and didnt realise, even though he took the keys off them before the end of may, because thats what was agreed in the contract. the first contract that they signed wasnt even until end of june.

If the contract has nothing crossed out which date is applicable? Can he really take them to court for this if he verbally agreed the end of may as the end date?

Just wondering if anyone knew what our sons options were,

thanks for any advice

Edited by citizenB

The contract/agreement needs to be in writing, otherwise he could say anything.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Nope. He seems like a shady landlord. Especially when he cant even get a tenancy agreement right.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Or just inept. I suggest we have all failed to delete the ' I/We' option in a legal declaration.

The academic year and most student lets are 10 month long Sep to Jun.

If one of the joint Ts stayed into Jun, then all could be liable for Jun rent. Just be grateful LL did not require a standard 12 month fixed term.

Or just inept. I suggest we have all failed to delete the ' I/We' option in a legal declaration.

The academic year and most student lets are 10 month long Sep to Jun.

If one of the joint Ts stayed into Jun, then all could be liable for Jun rent. Just be grateful LL did not require a standard 12 month fixed term.

Actually they did have to pay rent over last summer (over 3 months) to retain the house even when they were not living there. Two of the students are staying there for another year, but surely he cant charge them all for that? Besides he has more tenants paying for rent over the summer as a retainer so can he charge two people for the same room?

Also he verbally agreed end of may with them. He seems to be deliberately misleading them all if you ask me. Standard student let around there is 9 months, so that they can let out during the summer and thats what my son and his friends have always had.