permanent contract - what are my options? HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have been working in a school since Sept 12 on a Full Time permanent contract.

The head has asked me to change that to a Fixed Term (FT) 1 year contract because it was a 'mistake'.

What are my options? I really like the location and do not want to have the uncertainty of looking for a job, every year.

I have come half way and said that I am fine with a change/addition to the Job Desc. but not for the change of the actual contract.

what is the worst case scenario as I do not have anything to lose now and how far can I take this?

What will I lose? I can always go to supplying and my credentials are excellent. Others who have come after me have had a FT perm contract and they have not been asked to change to a Fix Term one.

Please advise.

Hi,

I've moved this thread to the Employment Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The worst case scenario is that if you refuse, you might just have the contract terminated. Having worked there since only September 2012, you don't have the required service to take action at an Employment Tribunal for Unfair Dismissal.

Are you a member of a Union?

Have you actually sat down and discussed this with the Head? Ask about circumstances in which you might later be allowed onto a permanent contract?

If you like the place, and the work it would be a shame to start burning bridges if this is avoidable. You may well rely on the Head for a reference at some point, and whilst your credentials might be excellent, a 'No' to the question 'would you employ this person again' can be quite damaging!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you so much for your reply Sidewinder,

I have been working since Oct 11 through an agency. Would that change anything?

You are right, better buckle up and say yes to whatever the Head says.

I need the job and really, have no right.

Thank you again.

From Sept 12 the school,

prior to that, the agency.

In effect I have been at the school for 2 years continuous service.

Your continuous service for accruing full employment rights isn't covered by agency work, so you won't have full legal rights until September 2014.

I don't see that either contract makes much difference - chances are if they want to dismiss you, they'll do it anyway, so it may be best practically to try and keep the peace and not give them any excuse to dismiss!