• Tweets

• Thousands more passengers could face delays or cancellations after an arson attack on France's train network on Friday.View the full article
    • you never use or give an email  2nd class stamp with free proof of posting from any po counter dx
    • Much appreciated for the ammendment. The snottier the better right!   What I am assuming is that this response is to be posted to Gladstones? However, I am seeing some users sending this as an email instead, which is a little confusing.  If we're happy with this response, what would you suggest is the best way to send it over to them (post/email), and is there anything additional I could include (if necessary)?  Thanks again! 
    • Hi I've read through other threads to better inform me of the process from here onwards. When I put in the MoneyClaim it gave me a claim number and it currently says to wait for the defendant to respond, they have until 7 August.   It seems their most likely action is to extend that a further 14 days to about 21 August - this hasn't happened yet, of course, as it is only 27 July but I'm anticipating that may be the case. when the expected defence action is taken by EVRi I will need to submit DQ with these responses A1 - no mediation B - my contact details C1 - yes to the small claims track D1 - No.  If No please state why.  I believe the defence will provide some rebuttal to the particulars of claim and so I need to include details as to why the claim requires a hearing.  Is there some certain templated text I can include here or will it vary depending on what the defendant comes back with? I see on the form it mentions the following: Relevant reasons include that there are factual disputes which will need the judge to hear from witnesses directly or the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally.  Hoping to reach out to see what may be the most effective statements for D1 reasoning. E1-5 are pretty straightforward. I want to get ahead of things and be ready to take the next step so I appreciate what advice you may have about the DQ.   Thanks!  
    • Rachel Reeves is set to reveal a public finances shortfall of billions on pounds after a snap audit.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lodger in one bed council flat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

bed settee?

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I think you'd need permission from the council.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think you'd need permission from the council.

And is the OP in recipt of any benefits,including income related benefits which may be affected by a logder ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

If you had a lodger would it be reclassified as 2 bedroomed?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Tenancy agreement states it is a one bedroom, what is the legal status of a bedroom anyway ? If it means that only one room is a bed room, what happens if someone sleeps on a sofa bed in the living room. Does the living room then become a bedroom. The other situation could be another bed in the room that is the bedroom and if that were the case, is it the situation that it is still two single people that are simply sharing space regardless of any attempt to say otherwise..

Tenancy agreement states it is a one bedroom, what is the legal status of a bedroom anyway ? If it means that only one room is a bed room, what happens if someone sleeps on a sofa bed in the living room. Does the living room then become a bedroom. The other situation could be another bed in the room that is the bedroom and if that were the case, is it the situation that it is still two single people that are simply sharing space regardless of any attempt to say otherwise..

Are you in receipt of any state benefits,especial Income related benefits which could affected by having a lodger ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I understand that a room being used as a bedroom could potentially be reclassified as such. I suspect this may affect the rent payable too. I think it's likely they would find it hard to believe that 2 adults sharing a room weren't in a relationship but I don't have any evidence to support this.

I think you may find it hard to get the Councils Permission for a Lodger in a one bedroom property.

Remember you must ask and get written permission from your Landlord before taking in any Lodger otherwise you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think you may find it hard to get the Councils Permission for a Lodger in a one bedroom property.

Remember you must ask and get written permission from your Landlord before taking in any Lodger otherwise you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement.

Most tenancy agreements do stipulate who is going to be living in the property.

@ Desperate Daniella

What you need to bear in mind the Tenants Tenancy Agreement with the Social Housing Landlord will never change to add in a Lodgers name as this is a private arrangement between the Tenant and Lodger but the Tenant does need to get permission from Social Housing Landlord in writing before taking in any Lodger unless there Tenancy Agreement has a Clause saying otherwise.

So even after getting written permission from social housing landlord the Lodger agreement is between the Tenant and Lodger and is a private matter between them and nothing to do with social housing landlord.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Even if there is a clause saying otherwise I would still suggest getting the social housing landlords permission

@ Desperate Daniella

What you need to bear in mind the Tenants Tenancy Agreement with the Social Housing Landlord will never change to add in a Lodgers name

Tosh ....:smile:

LL's can put what they like into a TA,as long as it's not against the law what they are adding or unfair terms in a tenancy agreement as per OFT...

Edited by 45002

Just let me clarify I am talking about Social Housing Landlords not Private Landlord

1. A Social Housing Landlord will never add a Lodger to a tenancy agreement as its a private arrangement between Tenant and Lodger even after they get written permission from Landlord.

Tenant has a Secure Tenancy Agreement with Social Housing Landlord affording them the rights and protection of a Secure Tenancy Agreement.

The Social Housing Landlord will not add a Lodger to that Tenants Secure Tenancy Agreement as it will affording that Lodger the exact same rights and protection as the Tenant when they are only a Lodger and not a Tenant.

Even after the Tenant gets written permission from the Social Housing Landlord it is still a Private arrangement between Tenant and Lodger and the Tenant would need to have in place a Lodger Agreement which the Social Housing Landlord may request a copy of.

2. Private Landlord can as you say add whoever they want to a Tenancy Agreement.

Edited by stu007

Just let me clarify I am talking about Social Housing Landlords not Private Landlord

1. A Social Housing Landlord will never add a Lodger to a tenancy agreement as its a private arrangement between Tenant and Lodger even after they get written permission from Landlord.

Tenant has a Secure Tenancy Agreement with Social Housing Landlord affording them the rights and protection of a Secure Tenancy Agreement.

The Social Housing Landlord will not add a Lodger to that Tenants Secure Tenancy Agreement as it will affording that Lodger the exact same rights and protection as the Tenant when they are only a Lodger and not a Tenant.

Even after the Tenant gets written permission from the Social Housing Landlord it is still a Private arrangement between Tenant and Lodger and the Tenant would need to have in place a Lodger Agreement which the Social Housing Landlord may request a copy of.

2. Private Landlord can as you say add whoever they want to a Tenancy Agreement.

Does make any difference what type of LL it is,still add what they like to a TA...

According to a report on housing wrote by my local council TRO office,part of the report.

At least 60% maybe more of secure tenancy in UK re: Housing association, Council, Regulated and Assured tenants do not have tenancy agreement or refuse to have or sign a TA anyway and there rights will be governed by statue....

Any dispute where there No written tenancy agreements ends up been sorted out by the courts.

It's not compulsory to have a TA anyway especially when it comes to Secure long term tenancy,i not had a TA for 30 odd years now !

Edited by 45002

But did you sign a tenancy agreement at the start of your tenancy?

Could you give a link to that report on housing if possible.

I would also refer you to this link from citizens advice on tenancy agreements:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/housing_ni/housing_renting_a_home_e/tenancy_agreements.htm

But did you sign a tenancy agreement at the start of your tenancy?

NO

Could you give a link to that report on housing if possible.

The report has not been made public yet !

I would also refer you to this link from citizens advice on tenancy agreements:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/housing_ni/housing_renting_a_home_e/tenancy_agreements.htm

It is not compulsory for every type of tenancy in the UK to have a tenancy agreement,most TA signed today will be for AST and new council/housing association tenancy.

You don't have to have/sign a TA to have a tenancy in the UK,you can have a verbal agreement....

Edited by 45002

I work for a HA, and I don't believe that any tenant would be allowed to move in without signing a tenancy agreement.

If you are a Council tenant you DO NOT need permission to take in a lodger. This has been the case since the Housing Act of 1980, the one that gave you the right to buy your home. If you then go ahead and create overcrowding, then that is a different matter, and dealt with under other tenancy conditions, rules etc., if it even becomes an issue these days in Council properties. You will not be overdrowding if you let your lounge as a bedsit because under the Space Standard rules, your flat could house legally 2 adults and a baby.

Prior to this, lets say your unmarried daughter became pregnant, and you wanted her to remain at home with you, you as the tenant had to apply for lodger permission for her to remain with her family, as she was then classed as a separate family unit. Permission may or may not have been granted (more likely to have been granted as we approached 1980 because by then we had the Homeless Persons Act 1977, and attitudes were changing fast) but if it was, then it was only for say, 6 months at a time.

This only applies to Council tenants on secure tenancies. Check the tenancy agreement for HA tenancies, and well, with shortholds, its a wild card.