• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Zero hour contract and holiday/sick pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I have worked since November on what I believe to be a zero hour contract.

My job is waitressing at a restaurant on an as and when basis, what ever is mutually convenient for both of us. I have never received a contract of employment or any statement setting out work and pay.

I have recently had to have 3 weeks off following an operation and have received no pay, as a single mother I am really struggling to survive on just my tax credits and child benefit alone.

I don't think that I will be entitled to sick pay as most weeks I havent earnt the LEL, but as far as I believe I should be entitled to a pro-rated amount of holiday pay, based on the last 12 weeks earnings.

I have asked my manager as he has basically said as i'm part time i'm not entitled to anything.

I have asked for a contract of employment and and copies of all my payslips since I started and am waiting for a response.

Am I right in thinking that I am entitled to holiday pay or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Your employer is wrong. You are entitled to holidays. How many you get depends on your hours worked.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Send them a written letter and send by recorded delivery. Make sure to track receipt. Give them 7-14 days ( your choice) to reply.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ok well I ended up having to leave as my employer has only been giving me between 4 and 5 hours per week and as a single parent I just can not afford that. I still havent received my SSP1 form, he says it has been completed, ive sent him a message asking me to post it.

I have emailed my boss asking for my SSP1 form, payslips and notification of when I will receive holiday pay. I haven't had a repsonse. Ive also text him, to no avail.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do next, I don't want to make things difficult, just get what i'm entitled to.

Should I send a recorded letter and if so how should I word it, or should I just put in for a tribunal claim for witheld wages.

Do I need to see a solicitor or can I do this myself.

So annoyed as I am taking my children away for a few days and really could do with this money.... :-(

No need for a solicitor. Calculate all of the hours that you have worked from Day 1 and calculate the holiday due to you.

Statutory holiday entitlement amounts to 12.07% of each hour worked. Come up with a figure and multiply by your hourly rate. Take that amount and send a Letter before Action to the employer advising that despite several requests, you are still owed holiday pay for the time worked. Give them 2 weeks to resolve the issue or you will be forced to make a claim to an Employment Tribunal.

Something along the lines of:-

[DATE]

Letter Before Action

Dear Sir,

Further to my recent employment with [NAME OF COMPANY] and despite several attempts to resolve the matter informally, I am still awaiting payment of accrued holiday. I have calculated this to be [£AMOUNT] in line with the Statutory entitlement to paid holiday.

I now require payment of the outstanding amount to be made within 14 days of the date of this letter otherwise I will be forced to take the matter to an Employment Tribunal as a claim for Unlawful Deduction from Wages contrary to Section 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996.

I also require all outstanding payslips to be sent to me as previously requested, together with a copy of the SSP1 form that I asked you to provide.

Yours Faithfully

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thankyou Sidewinder. My issue is that I need the payslips to work out how much holiday i've accrued.

On a seperate note, I have also noticed by looking at what payslips I do have, that any tips that were paid by credit card, were supposed to be processed through payroll, I have not received any tips through the payroll since I started. How would I question this with them?

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update and also more advice needed if possible please.

After many emails sent to my previous employer and only after me after sending them the recommended letter before action, I finally received a response from my employer. They have paid me 15 hours holiday pay, and are pretty much refusing to send me copy payslips so I can't check if thats correct or not. To be honest I would be happy leaving it at that as it would probably only be give or take another £50 or so!!

I have queried the tips that were paid through credit and debit card that i have never received in the 6 months i was there and have basically just been fobbed off with the excuse that they are looking into how that works and most of it gets eaten up in taxes anyway?? I asked for a copy of my contract of employment (which I know i was never given)and told that due to my query they now realise it was never issued and they have apologised and said they will get this sorted for the staff still there.

My issue is, if i have no contract of employment it doesnt help me get to the bottom of the tips query, its not the actual amount of money that bothers me here as it will probably only total a couple of hundred pounds, however could i bring an employment claim for withholding pay on this. I want to take it further as i'm am so hacked off at there attitude towards me throughout my employment, and the way i was treated when i was off sick, they sent me back my SSP1 form also but never completed it so I can't even make a claim for SSP now.

Do you think its worth taking this to an employment tribunal ?

If tips geat eaten by taxes, then they would be a statutory part of your pay.

If you get tips, which are then taken by your employer and taxed, then they are considered part of your normal pay. Tips in general are a gift from the customer to you for great service and therefore are not normally taxed.

Completely agree, but question the tax implications - if you were paid the money directly by the customer then you should declare those amounts as earnings to HMRC and they would be taxed as income. if the employer claims that they are eaten up mainly by tax, then how has the tax been accounted for? The employer would have to record them as taxable earnings for each staff member, so has he? I doubt it.

Personally I think that would probably be a wasps nest not worthy of poking a stick into. Chances are that any tips have been pocketed by the employer as income on which the business has paid tax, but you would have a hell of a job to get to the bottom of how and then an even greater task in trying to get the tips shared out. And you would then have to pay tax on them!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

To be honest, reading through the thread again, it seems the employer is pocketing the tips for themselves. The tax thing, as sidewinder said, is a very very tricky aspect. You may well have to declare it yourself and pay tax on it, or the tips COULD be seen as a gift. It's really not worth investigating in too much detail, as you may be liable for back taxes.

Do I have a right with respect to tips to ask them to prove to me how it is processed bearing in mind that I was never given a contract of employment, also am I correct in thinking that I cannot take them to an employment tribunal on the basis alone that I was never given a contract of employment?

• 1 month later...

Please wait until site team see above

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Your also entitled to a P45 from every employer despite being temporary, zero hours etc. I personally never provide a tip by credit/debit card as im not convinced it actually gets to the employees. Surely if the company is pocketing tips this is fradulent and probably theft? It should be noted that tips are taxable as earnings within Section 62 ITEPA 2003 and therefore if you have not received any this will be evident on any payslips that you have retained which by law should be itemised. And yes you are entitled to pro rata holiday pay.

Ignore reported post removed thanks site team

Edited by labrat

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: