• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Harlands - Gym Membership

squilly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I signed up for a 36 month contract with a local gym, not a chain, but Underground Fitness in Sheffield, in 2012. I broke my arm soon after and found that I couldn't attend. The relationship I had with the gym wasn't great to start with. The girl who was attributed to me as my personal trainer wasn't brilliant and I found that I didn't use the gym as a result of this. I have now been with them since June 1st 2012 and wanted to cancel in June of this year. I appreciate that I have an obligation for 12 months of the contract at least, but thought the High Court Ruling last year meant that the remaining two years would be unenforceable as the contract length was equivalent to an unreasonable contract clause.

I contacted Harlands by email saying I wished to cancel as the service at the gym wasn't tailored as promised and they had under-delivered. I received a reply saying I had to pay to the end of the 3 year contract. I rang up and spoke to someone there and said that the recent High court ruling found that any contract over 12 months was unreasonable and therefore unenforceable. They said that this only applied to Ashbourne contracts. They said they were not bound by this ruling as they provided fair exit from the policies, ie if I moved, if I was injured or if I paid a fee. The fee came through today and is £273, the difference between the discounted gym membership I had for the year and the price of a full priced 12 month membership. I can't afford to pay this amount now and am struggling to pay the monthly sum of £18.00 a month.

Having googled the issue, I found your website and borrowed some text from your standard letters. It was the message that cited the court case, so I sent this by email to Harlands. They've since sent me back a holding reply.

Originally I'd seen this information on the Citizens Advice Bureau webpage and I spoke to someone there who said that as I'd signed a 3 year contract I'd have to carry on paying. I asked them about the high court ruling and they said they didn't know about it. I'm confused now. Is there any way at all of getting out of this contract without having to pay £273? Or am I stuck with it for the next 2 years? Hope someone can help!!

They are talking rubbish. They are affected by any court decision. Of course, I don't suppose that you have any evidence of this conversation. Start recording everything or stop using the phone.

You only have to pay for their administrative expenses caused by any breach. the problem is that if you stop paying they may get debt collectors involved and hurt your credit file.

Have you already complained about the personal trainer? If you only do it now then it will look as if you are looking for excuses.

Anyway, if you are up for the fight, then you should write to them and cancel. Tell them that it is because of injury and also because of the quality of the personal trainer.

Tell them that you are paying them one month's fee and that you will not pay them anything else unless they can show you that you have caused them additional losses.

If they come after you then your solution would be to attack them by suing them on the basis that they were in breach of contract by not following their obligations under UK law.

You would have to be prepared to make a small claim in the county court to do this. Don't bother to bluff anything. Only make threats that you are prepared to carry out.

Hi Squilly,

Further to the advice above, Harlands is just the admin company that manages gym memberships on behalf of gyms. The only DCA that will get involved is CRS who are simply Harlands wearing another hat. They try to look like a separate DCA but they operate from the same address.

They will not report adverse credit data to the CRA's - none of the gym admin companies do this after the OFT case against Ashbourne and I believe it's the CRA's themselves who are unwilling to carry data about gym m/ships.

A 36 month agreement is unlikely to be enforceable after the OFT v AMSL High Court case but, more importantly, Harlands will not take the risk of going to court over a contract of this length. The general view is that 36 month agreements are unfair to the consumer unless they have adequate cancellation clauses (re illness, moving away, etc) AND they allow you to cancel because you don't want to be committed to 36 months of m/ship. In these circumstances, you can cancel before the end of the first year.

Harlands will continue to write, saying you're contractually obliged to pay for 3 years OR that you must pay the higher rate for the first 12 months. They'll then put on their other hat and CRS will write. But they generally won't take further action, beyond writing, phoning and sending emails.

I agree with Bankfodder, that you should write to Harlands by Recorded Del'y. Say something like:-

I confirm that I wish to cancel my membership at XXXX gym with immediate effect.

I will allow one further DD payment to be taken to compensate the gym for the lack of notice. After this is paid, I will cancel the DD mandate and no further payments will be made.

The 36 month contract is unfair to me as a consumer and the High Court case of The OFT v Ashbourne Management Services set a clear precedent in this matter.

I will deal with this in writing only and any calls or emails from you will be ignored.

See how they respond and make sure you cancel the DD mandate via your bank after the next payment is taken by Harlands.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks. I put everything in writing to them, via email, after this posting and they responded via email. They basically just sent a holding email, saying we are looking into this, but it's in writing and confirms that my email was received.

I will send any further details via recorded post as you've recommended. Thank you so much for your help.

I am not too worried about my credit rating as we are credit averse in my family, so I wasn't too worried about this aspect. Having said that, I'm old school, so anything that isn't totally straight about money is a bit of a worry. I like things to be right, which is the key issue.

I appreciate the advice given here and will update once Harlands respond. I will chase them if I haven't heard by middle of next week. I don't mind paying up the end of 12 months. I signed the contract, so that's my bad...it'll teach me to be more careful in future!

Hi Sqilly,

My advice is to do what is suggested in my draft letter above - make one final payment, then cancel the DD mandate via your bank.

If you offer to pay up to the end of the 12 months, they will probably still push for the higher monthly rate so you'll owe more than just the 12 x £18.00.

If they sense any weakness in your willingness to "do the right thing", they'll push to get all they can from you.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)