Getting a new credit card whilst in debt with ccjs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have stopped using my previous credit cards since 2005 due to huge debt and am currently on repayment plans with over 15 creditors and have had 3-4 ccjs and one charge against my property and paying minimum repayments. The last ccj was around end of 2007.

Can I now apply for a Credit Card for poor credit to try and rebuild my credit history?

Is it advisable to try and get a credit card just to keep in case of emergency?

If I do make an application say to Aqua Credit Card For people with poor credit, will my existing creditors find out that i have made an application? And can they pursue me with any sort of action on trying to obtain a credit card whilst I am in debt?

Please can someone help on these questions as i am sure there are many people wanting to find out too.

Thank you. G

Thanks for caring... G

It's never as bad as it seems...

I have stopped using my previous credit cards since 2005 due to huge debt and am currently on repayment plans with over 15 creditors and have had 3-4 ccjs and one charge against my property and paying minimum repayments. The last ccj was around end of 2007.

You are allowed to apply. Your creditors may seach your credit file and see the new account/application.

Can I now apply for a Credit Card for poor credit to try and rebuild my credit history?

If I do make an application say to Aqua Credit Card For people with poor credit, will my existing creditors find out that i have made an application? And can they pursue me with any sort of action on trying to obtain a credit card whilst I am in debt?

Please can someone help on these questions as i am sure there are many people wanting to find out too.

Thank you. G

You are allowed to apply. Your creditors may search your credit file and see new applications and accounts. If you hav

Thank you. G

PS IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO BECOME AN ADDITIONAL CARD HOLDER THROUGH A FAMILY MEMBER? AND WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS?

Thanks G

Thanks for caring... G

PS IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO BECOME AN ADDITIONAL CARD HOLDER THROUGH A FAMILY MEMBER? AND WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS?

Thanks G

The addittional card holder will be credit checked.

If you have CCJs it is virtually automatic that any applications will be rejected, some subprime card will accept an applicant with old (nearly expired) defaults a a few late payments, but with multple CCJs you will not succeed also if you make a lot of applications this will further damage your credit profile.

There is no ''MAY'' search credit files they WILL be searched and the searches will be recorded.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Why are you wanting to apply for credit whilst you are in so much debt at the moment ?

If you want a card for online shopping, I would suggest you get one of the Pre Paid cards - you top it up with money and can only spend what you have on the card. There are no credit checks. However, you can then at some later stage apply for the credit rebuilder card with the same company where you are given small sums of credit over a period of time to see how you manage it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The addittional card holder will be credit checked.

If you have CCJs it is vitual automatic that any applications will be rejected, some subprime card will accept an applicant with old (nearly expired) defaults a a few late payments, but with multple CCJs you will not succeed also if you make a lot of applications this will further damage your credit profile.

There is no ''MAY'' search credit files they WILL be searched and the searches will be recorded.

Thanks for your input BRIGADIER2JCS.

I came across the Aqua Credit Card through moneysupermarket i think, by going through their own checker they suggested Aqua who may accept people with poor or no history and having had no ccjs in the last 12 months...

Just wondering whether i should give it a go. as i have not applied for credit since 2004.

Or am i just wasting my time?

Thanks G

Thanks for caring... G

What you also need to be concerned about is who the parent company of the "poor credit card" is.

I understand that Aqua is underwritten by the Halifax - so if you have debt with them - you are likely stuffed from the start.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Why are you wanting to apply for credit whilst you are in so much debt at the moment ?

If you want a card for online shopping, I would suggest you get one of the Pre Paid cards - you top it up with money and can only spend what you have on the card. There are no credit checks. However, you can then at some later stage apply for the credit rebuilder card with the same company where you are given small sums of credit over a period of time to see how you manage it.

The main reason is to improve my credit.

And a card with a small credit limit is always good for emergencies.

Also for car hire, as most companies will not hire without credit card.

I do currently have prepaid cards, but wasn't aware they can give credit cards. I will have to find out.

Thanks G

Thanks for caring... G

What you also need to be concerned about is who the parent company of the "poor credit card" is.

I understand that Aqua is underwritten by the Halifax - so if you have debt with them - you are likely stuffed from the start.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I do not have debt with the Halifax, so still wondering...

Thanks for caring... G

I am sorry, but I think that whilst you have so much debt which is being repaid, presumably at less than the contractual repayments and with frozen interest and charges - I cant see anyone providing you with a credit card. What I do see is your current lenders - who will almost certainly be keeping an eye on your credit files and will see if credit is applied for, getting a bit ticked off and they could decide to want more money from you.

BCOBS

I am sorry, but I think that whilst you have so much debt which is being repaid, presumably at less than the contractual repayments and with frozen interest and charges - I cant see anyone providing you with a credit card. What I do see is your current lenders - who will almost certainly be keeping an eye on your credit files and will see if credit is applied for, getting a bit ticked off and they could decide to want more money from you.

Very good advice citizenB, much appreciated thanks.

I will concentrate on getting back on track first.

Thanks. G

Thanks for caring... G