Tax compliance letter....

lollylu117
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4119 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help me....

I have been claiming single person tax credits for 18 months due to my sons dad leaving, I have been left in debt as well as a child to raise on my own. This has not been an issue in any way, you get along because you have to, I juggle college and day to day things because that's life. Up until i recieved a letter...

I got a tax compliance letter, stating that I am claiming single person tax credits when there is another adult living here. There is not another adult living here, but I am now being asked to prove that there isn't, this isn't a problem as all bills, gas electric, tv license are all in my name, the problem is he is still on the tenancy agreement as no one was willing to rent to a single mother who is also a student, he agreed to say he was still living here in order to keep a roof over our heads. I don't get anything off my son's dad, he doesn't pay me anything and I don't ask him for anything, he comes when he wants, which isn't often and I let him stay if my son asks, this is only ever one night every so often.

The big issue is that my ex still has post delivered here, in spite of me sending it back and asking him to let companies know that he is no longer here they still keep coming. I have asked him to stop the post but I can't make him can I!? Without opening the letters and seeing who they are from and calling them what else can I do except keep on sending them back?

Please help me, I am sick with worry

I am no expert on this and am sure those that know more will advise you fully, I imagine that your ex doesn't have his bank statement etc sent to you, he would surely have these sent to where he lives, and if he works or claims benefits I would imagine his home address would have been used also.

When my son left home he still had mail sent to my address and this wasn't considered proof that he hadn't moved out, all I did was inform the relevant depts. of his new address as they wanted to reduce my housing and council tax benefits when he reached 18, and assumed he was still at home and sent me a bill.

Hopefully the tenancy agreement issue will be answered by those on here who know about that . I wont have been much help but just wanted to say please don't panic, there is always a way through to sort it out, and those on here give good advice.

thank you for the reply, I am pretty sure that he has no fixed address, he stays at his mothers sometimes, so I assume he is not on any benefits or has any letters sent to him. I do not get any bank statements etc to this address, its just non labelled letters.

I am so worried as I have worked so hard at college to get into uni and if I get prosecuted I may as well forget uni as I will never be able to get a job in what I want with any record. I try so hard to give my son everything he needs, I never wanted to be on benefits or to not work, but I have worked too hard to give up on my course now.

I really don't know what to do, I have to ring them tomorrow but am afraid of what they may say

there will be more people on here today I am sure that will be better placed to advise than I am, if the only post you get is non labelled then that's nothing, I still get post from previous tenants from years ago. I think that if he hasn't removed his name from the tenancy then that's not your issue but unsure so hoping someone here can advise, other than that, can HE not confirm his situation in writing to them? just a thought. hoping someone comes on who can be of help. its only early yet so please give it time this morning.

These are always difficult ones, his name is on the tenancy, he has no fixed address and his post goes to your address. His bank may still be registered at your address - I never get letters from my bank now I've gone paperless. The only way you'll be able to prove he lives elsewhere is with co operation from him - he provides proof of where he now lives.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hi lollylu,

I don't think you'll be prosecuted if you repay the money, but you shouldn't have to repay the money as your ex hasn't been living with you.

As far as your tenancy agreement is concerned, when exactly did this start? I'm a bit confused because you say he is "still" on the tenancy agreement? Did you first get the tenancy agreement when you were actually together, more than 18 months ago, and then he signed again when the tenancy was renewed more recently? If that is the case then I do not think you will have a problem with the landlord if you have been paying the rent on time for the past 18 months and kept the property in good order. Landlords like what is familiar and reliable rather than change, so you should be okay.

Is your ex working? If he's not on benefits he must be getting money from somewhere. If he is employed, he may have given your address to his new employer which is making HMRC think he is living with you. Or could someone have reported you if they were aware he was staying overnight. Until this is resolved I wouldn't let him stay over at all. There's nothing to say you can't have a friend staying overnight but just be careful while this is going on.

As all the bills are in your name and your income and bank statements should back this up, you should, as estellyn says above, ask him to co-operate and confirm he no longer lives with you. If he won't do that independently I suggest you provide HMRC with his mother's address and say as far as you know this is his usual address. There again, could he be living with someone else, and not be giving her address to HMRC so she doesn't lose any benefits she is claiming?

You are obviously trying very hard to improve your life and to do your best for your son so please try not to worry.

Do remember, you have to protect yourself here so personally I would do some asking around to find out exactly what your ex is actually up to. Then advise him that he can come clean with HRMC by confirming what you say, or you'll have no alternative but to give them details of his living arrangements.

DD