Problems with 2 new sofas - falling apart after 5 weeks.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently purchased 2 new leather 3 seater sofas from a local retailer (not a chain) whom I have used in the past.

When they were delivered, I noticed they were a lot lighter than my old Multiyork 3 seaters that I was disposing of after 12 years of excellent service.

Yesterday, as I got up from one of the sofas I noticed a strange noise from the arm. Its hard to describe, but it similair to the noise you would get by pressing down on a folded sheet of semi rigid plastic making a twanging sound as it deforms and then springs back to shape. I also noticed that the arm itself was quite wobbly.

I called the shop, who asked me to email him a note and he would forward it on to the factory. He told me they would send someone out from a company called Homeserve furniture repairs.

Apparently they will appraise the sofa and repair on site if possible.

Last night my wife and I were discussing our disappointment with the sofa and she started to inspect the other one. She wobbled the top rail of the backrest which creaked and was clearly virtually snapped in two. I tipped it on its back this morning, pulled 6 staples from the cloth base underneath the sofa to look inside at the top rail.

Its made from what looks like 2"x1" timber and where the creaking was occuring was a massive (well as massive as you can get with a bit of flimsy 2"x1") knot in the wood. Its cracked around this knot and should clearly never been used in manufacture.

So I have 2 dodgy sofas with different faults. Looking inside sofa 2 I was appalled by the standard of construction and materials used.

I understand that initially I have to let them attempt a repair, but having seen the quality inside the sofas, am worried about the longevity of them. They are £1500 each, so not particularly cheap!

Have a read of SOGA http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

I would say that you have a very good case for having them replaced, or having a refund.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

So as I understand it I'm entitled to reject the goods. If I accept a repair am I by implication losing my right to reject?

My wife and I like the sofas, its just the quality issue that concerns us as to the longevity of the goods supplied that is a big concern.

We really dont want to have our new sofas bodged up at our house....

Do you know if the sofas are locally made or made in China? We had a lot of issues with a chair made in China and the retailer had to re-pad it 3 times before it was more or less acceptable! Looking at the video, that would not make it past H & S!

So as I understand it I'm entitled to reject the goods. If I accept a repair am I by implication losing my right to reject

AFAIK, you should inform them that you are very unhappy with the sofas and that for the price you would have expected them to have lasted much longer than they have, you want them to replace the items as you don't feel that a repair will be any better, alternatively, if they repair it, then I would want a rebate, maybe £500 per sofa?

You will still be able to reject the goods, as they have been repaired already, so that means they are not fit for purpose.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The sofas were made in Manchester, I visited their showroom. we purchaed from one of their dealers in the North West.

My wife went to the shop yesterday and looked at the demo sofa in the shop. It didn't make any weird noises and obviously the back wasn't wobbly either. The owner wasn't around, so she didn't compalin at the time, although we have emailed regarding the noisy and loose armrest. The owner promptly replied, copying us in to an email he had sent to the manufacturer requesting Homeserve to attend our house.

That was before the back rail issue which he doesn't know about yet.

Edited by Nomore Baloney

I undid 6 or 7 staples from the fabric thats attached to the underside of the sofa so I could peep inside.

The back rail is (Was) attached to 2 vertical struts from the bottom of the sofa. Where one of the struts attached to the top rail was situated a huge knarly knot taking up the whole of the top rail.

Of course its just got no strength and snapped somewhere along the line.

One thing thats just occurred to me, although its sold as a leather sofa, the back of the loose upright seat cushion is mainly fabric, the same cheap stuff thats stapled to the underside of the sofa - is that allowed, similairly most of the front backrest is the same, albeit obscured by the cushions..

I would think it would depend on the wording they used to describe the sofa, if it was sold as a 'leather sofa' then it would be reasonable to expect it to be made of leather.

For 1500 quid, I would expect it to be made of gold!

Went to the retailer today. Showed him the video on my ipad and explained my position. He's a nice bloke, and although I understand my legal position (from here and TS today) I have been a bit generous in allowing the manufacturers to send homeserve round to apparaise. I have told him in no uncertain terms that I will NOT be allowing my lounge to be used as an impromptu workshop and also I require replacement or refund only. I've told him that I'm seriously disappointed with the internal quality.

Watch this space...

hi nomore baloney,

just seen your post and as a upholsterer of 43yrs IMHO your settee is certainly not the best. looking at the video where the arm wobbles it looks as though it bolts onto the seat and back so is a simple tighten up job the clicking on the arm i think will be a filler /shapercard that is not fixed properly or broken. To use another fabric on the reverse of a cushion is common practice unless they are designed to be reversable. ( a lot of car seats are leather front and vynil on the rear, it helps keeps the cost down, ) Although you could call the leather a bye product of a cow it is still expensive to buy, for an upholsterer to make a settee in leather with all the padding, springing,frame & labour the cost would be a lot more than you have paid.

Sorry to be a wet blanket,

Good luck with getting it sorted

Thanks Jack for the info. I'm sure most of the fixes will be relatively simple, its just that I'm not in the market to keep them after they have been fixed. These sofas are meant to last us a long time - they are not supposed to be a fashion accessory.

And no, you are not a wet blanket, lol!

• 3 months later...

Its now several months since my original postings, so here is an update.

On 26th April I went to the factory in Manchester to check out the replacement sofas the manufacturer had built for me. They still exhibited the stange noise when the arms were pushed down on. The sofa in their showroom didn't make any noises - surprse surprise. They promised to modify the 2 new sofas to prevent what turns out to be a hardboard former popping in and out of shape.

Nearly a month on, and still no sign of them. Thats at least 5 months they have had to sort the problem out.

Anyway, I'm sure its going to be sorted eventually, but what happens about the guranteee? Does it start from the date of delivery of the new sofas or from delivery of he original ones being delivered? I'm worried the replacements will be delivered and i'll be left with a 3 month warranty on the new ones.

The manufacturer should reinstate the full guarantee.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: