Inadvertently used NCD on 2 policies for few weeks

psychocandy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4150 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just sold my old car. Worked out better to cancel insurance and start again with another company so I did this (or thought I had).

Anyway, started new policy then realised I hadnt heard from first insurer. Phoned them and they hadn't cancelled policy. This meant I had two insurances both using NCD.

I know the rules state that you can only use NCD for one policy. I thought first one had been cancelled.

Friend tells me that, strictly speaking, I had no right to use NCD when 2nd policy started so even though its sorted now insurer could tell me that NCD is not valid (because I had none to use on day policy started).

Is this right? Seems a bit unfair. Bit scared to phone insurance company in case they tell me this.... and make me pay £500 more....

Yes your friend is technically correct about only being able to use NCD once. But you may get away with it, if your new Insurers don't need dated proof of your entitlement to NCD. Some Insurers just ask you for the other Insurance policy number etc, from which you will be using the NCD proof. They don't then need a paper copy of the NCD. If new Insurers require a paper copy of the NCD, it may just show the NCD and they may therefore not pick up that for 2 weeks, you used the NCD on previous policy. There is no central database that Insurers use to see whether people are already using NCD entitlement. It is often down to the policyholders good faith in telling them the truth.

Should not be a problem, so don't go out of your way to tell Insurers what happened. As long as you have now cancelled the previous policy. If you tell them about this 2 week overlap, they will probably try to charge you the premium difference for the 2 weeks, plus an admin fee.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes your friend is technically correct about only being able to use NCD once. But you may get away with it, if your new Insurers don't need dated proof of your entitlement to NCD. Some Insurers just ask you for the other Insurance policy number etc, from which you will be using the NCD proof. They don't then need a paper copy of the NCD. If new Insurers require a paper copy of the NCD, it may just show the NCD and they may therefore not pick up that for 2 weeks, you used the NCD on previous policy. There is no central database that Insurers use to see whether people are already using NCD entitlement. It is often down to the policyholders good faith in telling them the truth.

Should not be a problem, so don't go out of your way to tell Insurers what happened. As long as you have now cancelled the previous policy. If you tell them about this 2 week overlap, they will probably try to charge you the premium difference for the 2 weeks, plus an admin fee.

I guess this is better than having to pay the whole policy with 0% NCD. But I guess with admin fee it could be a few £.

At the moment, I sent them NCD from end of previous insurer (3 months ago) because I didnt have this new one. Probably should sent them that when I do get it?

Are there any rules that state you have to send the absolute latest NCD? Will the insurer I just cancelled even send me this since it was only a part year in effect? (Both will say 9 years full though I guess).

I guess this is better than having to pay the whole policy with 0% NCD. But I guess with admin fee it could be a few £.

At the moment, I sent them NCD from end of previous insurer (3 months ago) because I didnt have this new one. Probably should sent them that when I do get it?

Are there any rules that state you have to send the absolute latest NCD? Will the insurer I just cancelled even send me this since it was only a part year in effect? (Both will say 9 years full though I guess).

No rules re latest NCD proof, as long as you have declared any claim or incidents. I suspect that the 3 month old proof has just been noted and you will hear no more. They will just have noted the 9 years.

So nothing more needs to be done, as you have sent NCD proof and they would have told you if this was not adequate.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread