• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowell/Carter claimform - old Littlewoods cat Debt ..**Settled by Consent Order** missed payments - now AOE -

jboyd83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Technically correct, a standard Carter reply.

Which Part Brig...Yours Sincerely?

Andy:wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

OK thanks all....... I did send the CRP 31.14 to Lowells in the first place, who forwarded the request to Bill n Ben **cough **cough... Bryan Carters......

Do I just wait for the CCA request now?

You can wait ......:-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 1 month later...

Particulars of Claim

1.THIS CLAIM IS FOR £6982 THE AMOUNT DUE UNDER AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR AND THE DEFENDANT TO PROVIDE FINANCE AND/OR SERVICES AND/OR GOODS.

2.THIS DEBT WAS ASSIGNED TO/PURCHASED BY LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD ON 27/06/2013 AND NOTICE SERVED PURSUANT TO THE LAW OF PROPERTY ACT 1925

PARTICULARS

RE: SHOP DIRECT-LITTLEWOODS

AC NO xxxxxxxx

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS £6982

3.THE CLAIMANT ALSO CLAIMS interest PURSUANT TO S69 county court ACT 1984 FROM 27/06/2013

TO DATE AT 8% PER ANNUM AMOUNTING TO £520

Defence

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2.Paragraph 1 is noted. I have had an agreement in the past with Littlewoods but any alleged balance is and remains in dispute and disputed unfair penalty/interest charges.

3.Paragraph 2 is denied I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served over 12 months ago.

4. Paragraph 3 is denied the claimant cannot add section 69 interest to any alleged balance until it secures judgment and is at the discretion of the court should 8% be allowed.

5.It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach requested by CPR 31. 14.Further more the claimant has failed to respond to a section 78 request and is therefore in default and therefore not permitted to request any relief until such time they can comply,therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

6.As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

7.On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.

8.By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

You have numbers now....look at number 2 of the defence.As Im unaware of the nature or dispute with this claim you will have to edit to suit.

Also have they added the £520 into the total claim or is it just showing?

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andyorch
Additions and tweaks
  • Confused 1

Thank you so much Andyorch,

The amount claimed includes the 6981 and the 520....so 7502 is the 'amount claimed' ans with solicitors fees it totals 8012.Ok Ill tweak the above

As for point 2. There are charges etc on the account, CCA request was not responded to, nor the CRP31:14.There cant be £6K worth of unfair charges?

So...I would basically use the defence you have provided me with, making sure the figures are correct....edit 'faulty goods' but leave in the charges/interest.......Correct

Then send to ccbc? Do I need to add in anywhere about the CCA and CRP3114?

Its already in No.4 I will add CCA

Regards

Andy

Tweaked...good to go if you are happy with the pleadings.

Regards

Andy

Just your defence...why are you emailing...register to use MCOL and do it on line...far safer/quicker and reliable.

No...you still may have to explain why you dont owe the £5.5K:madgrin:

The claim is for them to prove...to quantify and show that legal process has been followed...this is not debt avoidance but making them substantiate their claim.

If defending in full can pursued them to comprise their case and agree settlement as they should have done before litigation...well I dont see anything wrong in that...considering they have paid £200 for a £ 6K debt.

If you offer installments at this stage you automatically get a CCJ......play the game.....hold your nerve.

Andy

Yes sir Cap'n Sir.....playing the game.....Holding my nerve....and my purse.....:madgrin:

:yo::wink:

• 2 weeks later...

It would have to be a realistic acceptable offer..if your intention is a £1 a month you would be better letting it proceed to trial and let the court set the payment rate...along with the CCJ.

Andy

40-50% ?

With regards to the CPR and CCA requests nothing happens if you agree settlement ..but you will never know should you have proceeded to trial whether they could disclose or would have discontinued the claim.

With regards to other debts...disregard them for now they are not threatening a County Court Judgment.

Andy

Yes that what it states...but if you dont ask you dont get...that's the art of negotiation

The best way I always find is to ring up the Solicitor and ask for the claim handler.....catch them off guard as they do not have a script then to rely on...once a verbal agreement appears to be accepted then you can can confirm in writing.

There is no need to involve the court at this stage with regards to offers of settlement.

Ok thank you Andy. The monthly instalments I could offer would be minimal...there's only my husband working and we pay full rent and counciltax.. Does it matter if it's a minimal amount?
You should only offer a maintainable and affordable amount...Should he refuse it then he must proceed but if he cant proceed then you would be surprised at what they are willing to accept.

If it goes to trial would the court have to set a reasonable monthly repayment amount for me to pay based on our income and expenditure? Not always but you can make application to vary the amount.

(if Carter won)

Regards

Andy

If you email them the element of surprise is lost and you will then get a prepared response......but you do what you feel comfortable with.

Ok....I'll ring today...wish me luck...is it likely to be a haggling game where I should offer a little less than I can just about manage first? Or do I just put my offer on the table meaning no room for manoeuvre for myself or them?

I can manage about 20 a month if I'm not paying any other creditors...does that sound like it would be reasonable /acceptable?

Just sound them out...they may say on your bike see you in court.....that is the purpose of the quick phone call to establish if its on the table.Once you have an answer then we can see how to proceed.

Believe me its really so simple..they are only human and most cases just as nervous as you.

Remember manageable affordable...if you feel that they are not interested reiterate that they will get less if they get a judgment.

Regards

Andy

There you go wasn't that difficult was it...well done:wink:

How have you agreed settlement...Tomlin Order or are they just going to discontinue?

Standing Order is always the preferred method of payment.

Andy

• Haha 1

They said I have to agree to retract my defence is that the usual process?

Mmmm no !

Ooo I don't know... She didn't seem to know a lot herself... Caught off guard you see Andy haha...!!....she said fill in the form altering the full balance and input the monthly amount, sign and return?

If you fill in the admittance and offer payment then they will get a CCJ....you either want a Tomlin Order for F&FS or they withdraw or discontinue the claim.

Yes......It would appear that she is not fully aware of the process involved ...you need something in writing to confirm they will not request judgment.

Thats why I advised a Tomlin Order as this gives you security...not that we dont trust claimants:madgrin:

Either way you need written assurance of the F&FS and a discontinuance of their claim.Perhaps ring again later...you may get a more knowledgeable case handler.

Andy

It is ...pity you didnt mention you had already received a Consent Order:roll:

Yes amend the amount ...take a copy sign and return to them.....let us know when the court has sealed the consent and we can alter your thread title to reflect the out come.

Well done jboyd83 we got there in the end:lol:

Regards

Andy

As stated you must still comply with procedure and submit your DQ by the date stated.Why have you not already amended and submitted the consent order?

Regards

Andy