• Tweets

• Thanks FTMDave, I like the cut of your jib - I'll go with that and obtain proof of postage. Encouraging that NPE have never followed through and seem to blowing hot air, let's see where they go after this   Regards
    • Please see my comments in orange within your post.
    • no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.   House or Flat? Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Again, points as above. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) Why serve a delapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease. I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to buy the freehold of the property. It's normal, whether it is a "normal" leaseholder or a repossession with a leasehold house, to claim this right of enfranchisement and sell the property with said rights attached and the purchase price of the freehold included in the final completion price. That's likely what the mortgage provider wished to do. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at? Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. So this is dealt with then. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.  You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension. You'd need a Deed of Variation for that. This may be done at the same time but the lease has already been extended once and that's all they have a right to. The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved. The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there. Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI claim on Egg Loan rejected *** SUCCESS ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

What started as a simple question ended up as a mini novel, so I decided to give you the executive summary here with my questions at the end of the post.

I sent a SAR to Canada Square Operations (who handle the Egg PPI claims),

received a huge pack of A4 pages and found evidence that PPI had been applied to one of my accounts.

Sent in the PPI questionnaire (albeit with the wrong acc no)

and received a reply yesterday saying that they reject my complaint as they couldn't find an account where PPI was applied.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago I decided to look into whether I could claim back PPI from an old Egg Loan I had in the early/mid 2000s.

I hadn't kept any documents so I started with a SAR and after an initial letter saying something like 'we have no records' etc

(which from what I read is a standard letter sent out) I received a huge pack of A4 pages and started to look through them.

During the time that I had Egg Loans and cards, I had topped up my loan a few times and I had also consolidated my cards and loan.

So, looking though this huge pack (of often duplicated pages) I found the relevant entries on loan applications like:

Payment Protection, PPIPremium, PPICover Level, and so on.

On most of them these were N, 0 and blank respectively, but on one of the applications it was Y, 5071.13 and ASUL (whatever that means, I didn't find any explanation in the paperwork).

I was quite sure that I was sold PPI (or some sort of insurance) as I remember having a conversation on the phone when applying for the loan

where I was told to get it or 'they' would probably not approve my loan, and now I had the details and was certain it wasn't just my imagination.

a couple of weeks ago I sent in the PPI questionnaire with as much information as I could find/remember and

yesterday I got a letter (in fact two, one saying that my complain had been received and that I would hear from them within x weeks)

saying:

"I would like to assure you that I have carried out a full review of your account and all of our records indicate that you have never actually purchased this product,

nor has it ever been applied or charged to your account. Therefore, your complaint has not been upheld and has been closed."

It does go on to say that it is their final response, however, if I have any additional information to contact them with the details.

I thought maybe I wasn't actually paying PPI, but had another look and found a couple of pages I had missed the first time round.

One had the Account Number (which I hadn't found when I sent in the PPI questionnaire and instead I had, mistakenly, used the Application Number/PartyID from the Application Report) along with Application Date, Date Opened and more to the point PPI on Account, PPI Cancelled and PPI Cancelled Date.

Turns out that I had 3 accounts with only one having PPI on it.

Furthermore I found an "Account Information Report" page with various info but also a "Loan PPI Rebate"

which detailed the amount I had paid, a Rebate Description (PPI Premium - Egg Loans) various other bits and an Amount Earned (which was the same as Amount Paid".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions are:

- Is the rejection letter I received just an effort to fob me off or have I misunderstood what I've found in the documents they sent me?

Perhaps their excuse is that I didn't provide the correct account number?

(Although it boggles the mind how they could have "carried out a full review" and have missed it?

I'm assuming they actually use computers for their "full reviews"!)

- Should I reply to them with the correct acc no and see what they say or should I take it straight to the FOS?

I just find it extremely distasteful if they are in fact trying it on - especially as if I am correct, then they must know full well that I have paid PPI.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Theo

Edited by theta

Challenge their findings and send them copies of everything you can fond that backs up your point that you did pay PPI.

Ask them to prove to you that you did not pay PPI given that the paperwork you have suggests that you did. Ask them to provide details as to why they feel that you did not pay PPI.

Always challenge the lender first before going to fos because handing over to them may end up taking an age to get resolved.

• Confused 1

std fob off letter

post them back a completed FOS CQ along with copies of the proof you have PPI from the SAR.

you need to also do spreadsheet of what PPI you paid

so was the PPI rebated?

all the info you need in below

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so was the PPI rebated?

Well, I'm not sure. I settled the loan early and I had to call them to find out how much I needed to pay. I'm not sure whether they offseted the PPI from my final payment.

This is what the "Loan PPI Rebate" entry says:

Account Number: xxxxxxxx

Rebate Description: PPI PREMIUM-EGG LOANS

Amount Paid: 2471.64

Current Reb: 0.00

Chge Date: 01/07/2006

Term: 84

Co/Dlr#: 2

Cd: 3

Amount Earned: 2471.64

I'm assuming that the "Current Reb: 0.00" means that I didn't receive a rebate?

correct

how did you settle?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

how did you settle?

How? I paid them from my back account. Can't remember if I did it over the phone or via internet banking, but I'm certain the funds came out of my bank account. Is that what you mean?

yes as long as it was not another loan [refinance]

dx

and they

yes as long as it was not another loan [refinance]

dx

No, it wasn't! I'll get all my facts together and send another letter to them. I'll keep you posted with any developments (or questions!).

Thanks very much for your help.

IMHO i would do this properly

FOS CQ , Spreadsheet & covering letter

lets them know you are not just chancing a claim

shows you have researched it and know what you are on about

dx

and they

IMHO i would do this properly

FOS CQ , Spreadsheet & covering letter

lets them know you are not just chancing a claim

shows you have researched it and know what you are on about

dx

Yes, that's what I intend to do. I'll re-sent the fos CQ with the correct account # and I'm going to calculate exactly what is owed. I have found a summary report of what I paid over the course of the loan so that should help as I had taken a couple of payment breaks.

Looking at the Transaction Summary Report it details the payments I made and the Principal Balance After Transaction. The last three entries are as follows:

Acc #, Transaction Posting Date, Transaction Effective Date, Transaction Code, Transaction Description, Transaction Amount, Principle Balance After Transaction, Memo

xxxxx, 15/05/2006, 15/05/2006, 83, REG PMT-EFF DTE, 318.02, 17279.53,

xxxxx, 12/06/2006, 12/06/2006, 82, UNSCHED PMT, 10000.00, 7279.53, P/P EX TELLER

xxxxx, 14/06/2006, 13/06/2006, 86, PAYOFF, 10072.21, 0.00, LUT PMT

I can't actually decipher the last two. I certainly didn't make two £10000 payments and I don't have a record of what I paid back then. I can only assume that one is the adjustment and the other one is the actual lump sum I paid?

Reading the "PPI Single Premium" thread it says:

"In this case you would still have paid the total PPI premium which was put on your loan to start with. For the monthly payment up to the date of settlement you work out the percentage of PPI on a monthly basis as described above. When you settled the loan with a lump sum, the same percentage is used to find out how much of that settlement figure was for the PPI part of the loan. You enter this final amount of PPI payment as the final item in your spreadsheet list."

The PPI Premium mentioned in the application is £5071.13 which I assume includes all the interest that would've been accrued had the loan reached maturity. As I mentioned before the Loan PPI Rebate says that the amount I paid was £2471.64.

After filling in the spreadsheet I found that over the course of the loan I paid a total of £1448.61 (without including the 8% interest) before the lump sum payment. After adding the percentage of the lump sum payment (which roughly agrees with the amount mentioned in the Loan PPI Rebate) as a final amount of charge in the spreadsheet takes it to £3899.12 (as the percentage was 24.33%) which I guess it sort of agrees (without doing the math) with the PPI Premium minus the interest? (I made 19 out of the 84 payments)

Does that sound correct?

looks as though it tallies yes

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

It took just a little bit of effort, about three months and 3-4 letters from beginning to (almost) end, but it has been a success!

And the outcome was quite unexpected too!

At first I thought it was only going to be a few hundred pounds, maybe a grand at a push.

It turns out I shall be receiving almost £5,000! I can hardly believe it...

and I can hardly believe how naive and stupid I was when I took out the loan in the first place

but thanks to the internet and this forum in particular, it's all happy days now!!!

I thought I'd follow up to say 'thanks'

(with a donation soon to follow as well!) to all the good people that helped me

and to give some more info on how I handled it

and what the actual outcome was, in case this helps others in similar situation.

Following ims21 and dx's advice

I compiled a pile of documents including a revised - and more accurate - FOS consumer questionnaire,

photocopies of all relevant pages from the huge pack they had sent me

and a covering letter (where I couldn't help my self and took the mickey out of them for claiming to have carried out a 'full review'

- but only slightly and still civilised!) but I deviated a little bit from the advice and didn't include the spreadsheet as I wasn't too sure about the accuracy of my calculations.

The reasoning was that I had a ballpark figure and would contest a compensation amount if it was a lot less than what I expected

(which, if you look in my previous post was about £3.9k) and didn't want to commit to anything before I actually heard what they had to say.

This morning I received a letter from them and the breakdown of their calculations was:

Total PPI Premiums which you have paid (a) £5071.13

Plus interest on premiums paid (b) £605.42

Plus 8% interest © £1856.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal £7533.04

Less any previous rebate paid (d) £2599.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Total amount of compensation £4933.55

(a) This is the value of PPI premiums which you have paid

(b) This is the contractual interest paid as a result of PPI being applied to your account(s)

© The additional 8% compensatory interest is calculated based on the difference between payments made by you

and the value the payments would have been if there had been no PPI on your account(s)

(d) This is a previous rebate(s) paid to your loan as a result of your PPI being cancelled

or would have been included as part of the settlement figure(s) on early closure of your account(s)

it turns out that my calculations would have saved them more than a grand.

I don't know if they would have just accepted my estimate or not,

but seeing as they did try to avoid paying in the first place,

I'd say... yes they would have ran with my discounted estimate and made the above numbers up to agree!!

Now, all I have to do is send back a completed Acceptance Form which was included in the letter and I'll be receiving a cheque from them within 20 days.

To re-cap, here's a rough timeline of what I did along with their responses:

- 2nd Nov 12: I sent a Subject Access Request (SAR)

- about a week later I received a letter that looked like they wouldn't comply to my SAR but apparently it was a standard letter I think to say that they couldn't provide copies of the contracts or something like that.

- a few weeks later I received a huge pack of print outs with transactions, numbers, addresses, etc

- 20th Dec 12: I sent the FOS consumer questionnaire

- 5th Jan 13: Received a reply saying that after carrying out a full review (strategically mentioning the account that PPI had not been applied) my claim was rejected.

- 6th Jan 13: I posted on this thread, got advice and compiled my response.

- 7th Jan 13: I sent them all the documents mentioned above (FOS CQ, photocopies, cover letter)

- 26th Jan 13: SUCCESS! Received a letter from them saying that my complaint has been upheld.

So, thank you very much to this forum and to ims21 and dx100uk in particular. (off to make my donation... and send the acceptance form back of course!)

Theo

• 2 weeks later...

No money in my account yet, but I received a confirmation letter from them a couple of days ago saying that they are "in the process of preparing your cheque which will be issued within the next 20 working days"!

Surprising how long it takes to prepare a cheque! :-)

T

• 3 weeks later...

hey all good

now what puzzles me is the £2500 rebate

was there any sign of that in the SAR details?

though you said no.

dx

and they

There is a bit in the paperwork (under Loan PPI Rebate) where it says that I earned £2471.64. Adding the £2599.49 (which was in the settlement letter and described as "previous rebate paid to your loan as a result of your PPI being cancelled or would have been included as part of the settlement figure on early closure of your account) goes up to the total PPI amount of £5071.13.

I think I've mentioned that although I don't remember the exact figures there was a substantial reduction on the early settlement figure compared to what was showing on Egg's website at the time.

I just assumed that this discrepancy, or part of it, was due to the cancellation of my PPI when I settled the loan early.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done with your claim and the outcome Theta. I also had a loan and a credit card with Egg which were taken out in late 2002 and early 2003. I only have the account numbers, no statements etc. I have sent Canda Square an SAR, from your posting I understand that you still managed to get account info from that time?

Hi Inertia,

I did get the info that enabled me to get the refund, but if I remember right they are required to keep records for six years from the closure of the account.I settled my loan in 2008 so I was well within that period.

I think I read somewhere (probably here) that you might still be able to get something out of them even if that period has passed but I'm not sure about that.

Good luck with your claim!