Help needed with HSBC default on credit file - no actual default

tedax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I just checked my Experian credit file. I have a current account with HSBC with no credit facilities (all auth debit card, no overdraft, no credit card). I never signed a credit agreement and I don't think I agreed in writing to them sharing my personal information with credit agencies.

Now back in April I wrote a friend a cheque for £200. When he cashed it my account balance was £191, so the cheque bounced, meaning that my account was always in credit. My friend was fine with and I paid him in cash the next day.

HSBC have included this as a default on my credit file. They also charged me a £25 return fee, payable one month after the "default".

I'm not looking to get the fee waived but rather to get the default removed from my credit file. I've spoken to them on the phone and they just keep repeating that a bounced cheque is a default and therefore it gets reported. They won't listen to anything I say.

How should I tacke this? What legal arguments can I use in writing? Sorry for my bad English - I'm from Spain and not used to fighting with UK banks.

Thank you!

by taking the a/c you agreed to CRA reporting.

the bounced cheque and the fee would have taken you OD

not sure if they are correct

brig will tell you i hope

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Are you living in the UK or in Spain? Dont know what the system is like over there.

From my knowledge, and experience, a default is whereby you "owe someone money and you dont pay them back". So for example, you took out a loan and couldnt afford the last £400 so it goes against you on your CR file. This warns other lenders that you are "unfit" to pay back borrowed money. I dont see how the heck they put a default for a cheque that bounced, 1000s of cheques bounce everyday...

I dont understand how it can go on your credit file as a default.

It should have either bounced back and nothing happened due to insufficient funds and the bank may have charged you for this, or you would have went overdraft as dx100uk said.

From my experience with TSB, I have been over my overdraft limit and they have "lent" me the amount I went over by and then charged me the ridiculous £20 per day or whatever, BUT it didnt go on my credit file.

HSBC are known to be back stabbers (see my thread).

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.