tax credit investigation

mumoffour84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter saying I am having my tax credits 2011-2012 investigated due to information showing on credit search for Mr xxx. My partner moved in with me on the 3rd July this year after I graduated university as I could not afford for him to move in before this date as I would have had to way childcare myself to complete mtg studies.

He has been having post sent to my address from the bank as his step dad had kept sending it return till sender. Problems we have no proof that he has been living at his mams house. His p60 is sent to my house. He pays my sky bill instead of maintenance for our 2 children and the phone bill is in his name but I pay it as I am unable to get bt in my name due to owing a big bill. He also has provident at my address as he is at my house on the day she calls.

The condition of him moving in with me was he had to enter into a debt management plan before hand as he has high levels of debt that for awoke reason has been coming to my house.

I know I look a complete idiot for allowing him to take credit aty address but what does everyone suggest I do. Will they investigate my student finance claim and housing benefits claim swell?

He has no evidence of living at his mam other than his car documents which he has just transferred to my address. I have not slept properly since getting the letter 3 weeks ago and every time I ring the number I getr a mailbox reply.

Can anyone hep me

go to cab do not contact them until your able to seek professional advice and just be honest because they only see things in black and white with no proof im going through the same living with partner not the father of any of my children nor married mine is for 11/12 ive got to go cab next week this is happening to a lot of people try not to worry if your honest going on lots of threads the most they will do is ask for the over payment back

Can someone please answer me.

I went to cab after trying constantly to get thru to tax credits with no joy. Sent a letter saying I had tried to get thru.

Im panicking about all this I have just graduated from university and gained employment in a school as a teacher. I just wish this would all go away. Deadline has now passed to contact them and I am panicking even more. Cab didn't have an appropriate adviser when I went so got no help from them.

Would ir be easier to say he lived with me when he never or would this lead to further prosecution for housing benefit. We have no proof of him living at his mothers and he did spend a lot of time at my house

I had the same problem as you, I tried ringing the phone number on the letter for days. I left my phone number on the ans machine but they still did not get back to me. So I sent everything they requested and waited. After about 2 weeks I received a letter asking me to contact them on the number above on the new letter, only problem they had forgot to write number on letter. There was a fax number so I just phoned the fax number changed the last digit and somebody answered the phone. The person I spoke to gave me the persons number I needed to speak to. I phoned the person and managed to speak to them. I know a lot of people on this site speak to some nice members of staff but not me. All he seemed to do was ask me questions and dates he even knew when I had been on a holiday abroad. He knew about everything my partner had by post to my address mail order, credit card, etc. He also knew about my council tax only being in my name and other things. Im also worried how this is going to affect my job as I work for the DWP. He said he was unable to let me know what is happening till next week as he was only covering for somebody on holiday but he would be telling her to cancel my money and she would be getting back to me. I've decided to come clean and tell them everything just worried sick I will lose my job. Don't want to scare you but when you speak to them be careful what you say because they seem to already know the answer and want to catch you out. Best policy I think be honest. Hope it all goes well for you.

Anyone had any updates?

I have a couple of threads on here if you are able to search my name.

I know it sounds like a stupid thing to say but please try not to panic. I made myself ill when I got the letter a few weeks ago but it's already pretty much sorted.

I did lie to them, my partner moved back in sept '10 and I never put in a joint claim. I renewed twice after that and only got caught when they sent me a letter saying they knew my partner was staying with me. It's a shame you have let it go past the deadline as I have read on here that does not go in your favour. I could never get through on the phone so sent them a letter admitting everything.

I have to pay

Sorry hit reply to quick, I was going to say I have to pay everything back and after weeks of thinking i was going to go to prison, lose my job and be splashed all over the papers I realise just how lucky I am (and how stupid I have been)

Please just be totally honest with them, even if you can't face it over the phone right it all down and send it. If you read the threads on here you will see that tax credits see this all the time and are usually really resonable.

The housing benefit would be worrying me a lot more but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can advise on that.

Hi Cat,

I'm really happy you've got it all sorted.

I just wondered if you directly asked them if they would, at a future date, look into tax year 2010 - 2011. Do you think they are writing this off completely. I mean that seems to be what they are doing in everyone's case - just asking for the most recent tax year back.

I've read in their manuals online that they have a deadline of 5 years from the end of the tax year (from the tax year they are interested in) revise past tax years. E.g. For 2010-2011 that would be April 2016.

I hate to bring this up, when you've got this all sorted. But just interested in how you worded it when you asked 'is this all that's going to happen'. I'm so glad you asked and told everyone here. I just want to be sure she wasn't just saying - yes that's all we're doing at the moment.

Thanks

Hi Cat,

I'm really happy you've got it all sorted.

I just wondered if you directly asked them if they would, at a future date, look into tax year 2010 - 2011. Do you think they are writing this off completely. I mean that seems to be what they are doing in everyone's case - just asking for the most recent tax year back.

I've read in their manuals online that they have a deadline of 5 years from the end of the tax year (from the tax year they are interested in) revise past tax years. E.g. For 2010-2011 that would be April 2016.

I hate to bring this up, when you've got this all sorted. But just interested in how you worded it when you asked 'is this all that's going to happen'. I'm so glad you asked and told everyone here. I just want to be sure she wasn't just saying - yes that's all we're doing at the moment.

Thanks

I can't remember the exact wording but she basically phoned and said she had my confession in front of her and "so you do live as a couple?" I said yes and she said "well we knew that anyway I have the info here, have you always lived as a couple?" I said no we did split but got back together late 2010. She just said something like "we were looking at the year 2011/12" and did not mention anything about the previous award.

To be honest I was more worried about landing myself any deeper I just let her do the talking and I just followed her lead and only tried to answer the questions she actually asked (as advised by cab) I'm concentrating on trying to get this mess sorted and will just have to deal with any other fall out if/when it happens.

At least it's out in the open now and I can't get myself in any deeper.

Im wondering if I should submit a joint claim for last year though or just totally wipe the slate clean and never claim a penny again?

I have not received the overpayment letter yet but I think it will be about 12k.

I would have been entitled to about 4k on a joint claim so I'm torn between putting the joint claim in to lower the debt (is it possible to do that though?) or just setting up a payment plan to clear the whole lot and hopefully get me off their system.

I have started full time work now so we won't be entitled to anything as a joint claim this year so I can't lower the debt any further with any off this years payments.

I can't remember the exact wording but she basically phoned and said she had my confession in front of her and "so you do live as a couple?" I said yes and she said "well we knew that anyway I have the info here, have you always lived as a couple?" I said no we did split but got back together late 2010. She just said something like "we were looking at the year 2011/12" and did not mention anything about the previous award.

To be honest I was more worried about landing myself any deeper I just let her do the talking and I just followed her lead and only tried to answer the questions she actually asked (as advised by cab) I'm concentrating on trying to get this mess sorted and will just have to deal with any other fall out if/when it happens.

At least it's out in the open now and I can't get myself in any deeper.

Im wondering if I should submit a joint claim for last year though or just totally wipe the slate clean and never claim a penny again?

I have not received the overpayment letter yet but I think it will be about 12k.

I would have been entitled to about 4k on a joint claim so I'm torn between putting the joint claim in to lower the debt (is it possible to do that though?) or just setting up a payment plan to clear the whole lot and hopefully get me off their system.

I have started full time work now so we won't be entitled to anything as a joint claim this year so I can't lower the debt any further with any off this years payments.

I see your dilemma. However, everyone else seems to be doing it, so not fair if you miss out. I mean the 'notional offset' thingy. To be honest, I don't think they would bat an eyelid if you applied for it. I don't know if you've seen already - but there is a lot of discussion on this on the net mums forum. 4K is a lot of money, and if you're entitled to it - then you should? As I say, I understand your hesitancy following this scare you've had.