• Tweets

• Hello I hope someone can give me some advice here, as I am at a bit of a loss on how to proceed. This relates to alleged offences under the RTA. Yesterday I received a notification from the local police of intention to prosecute for the following offences: 1 driving without due care and attention 2 failing to stop at a road traffic accident 3 failing to report a road traffic accident At this stage they have only asked me to say whether I was the driver at the time or not and provided a blank sheet of paper to give information about the incident. Going by the location (just round the corner from where I live) I can only imagine this relating to one recent incident, which wasn't actually an accident but more of a road rage event. I was driving past someone unloading or working next to his lorry which had stopped in the road. I wasn't going fast or anything, while I went by lorry man turned around and punched and kicked my car whilst going past him. I stopped and got out and wanted to know what he thought he was doing punching and kicking my car. He then hurled some verbal abuse at me, swearing and he was quite aggressive. I still didn't know what his problem was and said I would report him to his company for threatening behaviour and vandalism for punching my car. I got my phone and tried to take a photo of his lorry and number plate but at that moment he came right at me, still shouting and swearing, so I was worried he may hit me next, as he already punched my car. I thought if the guy hits me I will come off second best, so I decided to retreat. I quickly got back into my car and left. When I checked my phone later the photo I tried to take was blurred and useless, so I thought it was pointless to report the incident to the police, as the guy would not be traceable. Over that I forgot about it until I got the letter yesterday in the post. This is the only thing I believe this can relate to, but I have no idea based on what the three above allegations come from There was no road traffic accident, more of a road rage incident. So I am at a loss what to do. I have 28 days to respond. Should I just say yes I was the driver and was there and see what happens next, or should I already make a written statement on the attached piece of paper they sent me and send that with it ? Is there anyone here who would have a rough idea what to do next ? I tried my legal advice line through my Union, but they have sent me from pillar to post, now say it needs to go to a different department again and that would be chargeable as the RTA comes under Criminal Law. So any advice would be appreciated Many Thanks
    • So a quick update got bounced around two different departments and managed to speak to a DVLA bod , explained the situation and they could see the overlap and that DD payments had been made from Feb , also no formal remiders prior , they gave me a number for the legal dept who I am calling this morning to see what they can do in terms of the SJP notice , still have time to submit this online.  Will update after my chat this morning 
    • Also, I am trying to understand how invoicing a large sum in a 6m period becomes tax fraud?   Is it because if he had invoiced over the £85k threshold he should have been obligated to charge vat?  Which would have meant hmrc would have benefited from the vat amount? So by not charging it Hmrc have lost out on £s revenue?  Is that what makes it tax fraud? So as a self-employed contractor, let's say he invoiced one Co for 200k.  Should he have charged vat on the full 200k (£40k)? Or just on the sum above the threshold (£23k)?  And that by not charging vat, he has knowingly withheld tax £s from Hmrc? And is the payer complicit ?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

British Gas Business/BizzEnergy erroneous transfer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4185 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I was a happy Scottish Power domestic gas/electric customer for many years. All payments by monthly DD and up to date. Then in Sept 08 I was erroneously switched (both supplies ) to BizzEnergy (a business supplier)

I immediately contacted Scottish Power, they investigated and their Erroneous Re-Registrations Team eventually wrote back saying "Bizzenergy have transferred your gas and electricity by mistake. Your supplies will be transferred back to Scottish Power"

A couple of months later, my gas was back with Scottish Power but not my electricity. Many phone calls ensued, "these things can sometimes take a long time", etc, and the thing was duly forgotten about for many months. To confuse matters even more, shortly after that our gas bill estimate was erroneously doubled by SP for 12 months, which led us to believe we were back paying for both services -- but this then was refunded to us in Nov 2010, which set the alarm bells ringing that we'd not actually been paying for any electricity.

So now it is 3 yrs 11 mths after the erroneous switch, and out of the blue I get hit with a solicitor letter demanding £3,500 on behalf of British Gas Business. It turns out that Bizzenergy went into receivership and got taken over by British Gas Business shortly after I was erroneously switched to them in Nov 08. So in all this time, BGB had been "billing" me as a business customer. ( As a domestic user my bill for that period should have been about half of what they were asking for.)

During this almost 4 year period

- I never received a single bill from BizzEnergy or BG Business, nor did I receive any other correspondence from them (I wasn't expecting any)

- I never made any agreements with BizzEnergy or BGB about tariffs or indeed anything else. Why would I ever agree to their business rates?

- My meter was never read by BizzEnergy or BGB. All of their calculations in their unseen bills were based on estimated readings. My last actual meter reading was in February 2008 by SP, which was 6 months before I got hijacked

I have now just switched back my electricity to Scottish Power, who were very happy to have me back with as a "new customer".

So I'd like some advice please on how to deal with the demands of British Gas Business for money on bills I've never seen, on a tariff I never agreed to, for a period going back 4 years in time?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by CongaMan

I forgot to say that the letter from BGB solicitor, quoted the address they were supplying electricity to as some industrial unit on a trading estate at the opposite end of the country. The address is one I've never heard of, and is totally unconnected with me. This would explain why I've never received any mail or bill from them.

I am not sure if I can help, but I worked for Bizzenergy in their erroneous transfer department. Obviously I do not have access to records and cannot remember individual customers. I think a third party broker would have done the transfer hence the incorrect MPAN.

Bizzenergy only dealt with electric and not gas and only dealt with business customers, not residential. However I was a residential customer with Bizzenergy to get preferential rates and was transferred to BGAS as a business customer. I supplied proof that I was a residential customer and was able to transfer away from BGAS who I hate with a passion! I also know for a fact that ET's were done by Bizzenergy the same day we were notified about it so it seems that Scottish Power may have slipped up on this one by not doing the transfer or following it up.

As a domestic customer you have NO contract with BGAS and it would be up to them to prove it. Secondly you should have been contacted ages ago and a bill sent. Thirdly your MPAN probably started with either an "01" or "02" indicating it is a domestic supply. This is followed by an Advise and prove to BGAS that you are a domestic customer, i.e. council tax bill and inform them that you are an ET and should have been transferred back to Scottish Power a long time ago but they blocked the transfer as they thought you were in contract. They would have done this automatically and will have a record of the objection on their system if Scottish Power tried to re-register your MPAN.

Due to the amount of time that has passed, tell them that you are willing to pay for electric consumed at the rate you were charge by Scottish power prior to the ET. You cannot have free electric. However state that as they have not contacted yourself with a bill for the past year, as per regulations you are only willing to pay for the past 12 months supply.

Try it and see how you get on.

Bizzenergy only dealt with electric and not gas and only dealt with business customers, not residential.

You are right -- On closer examination, my gas went to "Business Energy Ltd" while my electricity went to "BizzEnergy Ltd".

I had been getting the two names confused (as if it's not confusing enough already)

So thanks for pointing that out!

If a 3rd party broker did the transfer, would there be a record of who that 3rd party was?

You are right -- On closer examination, my gas went to "Business Energy Ltd" while my electricity went to "BizzEnergy Ltd".

I had been getting the two names confused (as if it's not confusing enough already)

So thanks for pointing that out!

If a 3rd party broker did the transfer, would there be a record of who that 3rd party was?

I strongly suspect it was BES that was acting as the third party. Have you checked your MPAN number which is a long number somewhere on your bill or approached BGAS as per my earlier post?

My MPAN number does begin "01"

I'd already fired off a complaint letter to British Gas Business by the time I saw your suggestion. I was going to wait for their reply (within 3 days, they promise me), then make them an offer.

At the time of the switch, I was paying £42.50 per month for electric, so I guess I'll be offering £510 (being 12 months usage)

You say in your post "as per regulations" - presumably you are referring to the Energy Retail Association guidelines? Do they *have* to abide by this code, or can they legally do whatever they please? What would be the consequences to them, if they break the code?

Thanks again for the advice:)

My MPAN number does begin "01"

I'd already fired off a complaint letter to British Gas Business by the time I saw your suggestion. I was going to wait for their reply (within 3 days, they promise me), then make them an offer.

At the time of the switch, I was paying £42.50 per month for electric, so I guess I'll be offering £510 (being 12 months usage)

You say in your post "as per regulations" - presumably you are referring to the Energy Retail Association guidelines? Do they *have* to abide by this code, or can they legally do whatever they please? What would be the consequences to them, if they break the code?

Thanks again for the advice:)

Definitely domestic and one rate. It it was "02" it would be Economy 7. It would be better to contact the Energy Ombudsman for clarification as things have changed in the past 3 years. State you are making an inquiry at this point rather than a complaint.

• 4 weeks later...

BGB are refusing to comment on whether my offer of £510 is accepted or rejected.

They say that they are "not sure if the ERA guidelines on backbilling" that I quoted at them apply in this particular case, because they say it is not fully their fault. When BizzEnergy went bust, BGB acquired my account from them but with all the wrong billing details - wrong address, name everything. They say it's not their fault they had the wrong details, so they are not to blame, therefore the guidelines don't apply. (??)

Now they want to re-bill me for the four years using a retrospective rate, and have requested a current meter reading !!!

Also, they blocked my move back to SP a few weeks agio, despite BGB sending me an apologetic letter before that saying "if you want to move your supply back to SP, we guarantee it will leave us". They blocked it anyway, but now tell me again that it will definitely leave if I try again.

Are they just trying to pull a fast one?

Edited by CongaMan

I just received an updated bill from them. They now "rebilled the account to my firm reading" (of last week) and say I owe them £1500 and they would give 50% discount on this -- so they want £750 to settle.

The bill has a "balance carried forward from previous bill" of about £1000 --- but as I never received a previous billl, I have no idea what that is made up of. Also they have no meter readings at all (!) other than one in May this year and one from last week - so all of this is all based on estimated readings.

What should I do? Should I stick to my original offer of £500? Or lower it?

If they estimate 4 years usage was £1500, then 12 months is £375. which is LOWER than my original offer of £500

Thanks in advance!

Offer them £400 on a take it for leave it basis as they can only bill you for two years usage as you are a domestic customer! Remind them AGAIN that you are a domestic customer and you are covered by those rules.

Thanks for the advice! You say "they can only bill for two years usage" but I thought the ERA regulations limited this to one year... (please correct me if I am wrong, (which is highly likely)) Thanks

So I offered them £400 - cross your fingers.

But today, a credit note arrived, crediting me with £490 for negative electricity usagefor the last 12 months! This reduces the balance outstanding to £1040, the amount originally "carried forward" from the invoice I never actually received....

What a complete and utter omnishambles!

I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

They have not responded one way or another to my offer and it's almost been a month. When that month has passed I am considering emailing them again telling them if they don't respond within 7 days then I shall consider the matter closed. Can I legally do that if they don't respond again?

Oddly, they also emailed me an Exel spreadsheet for the account along with the bill. It is obviously meant for BGB internal use only and must have been sent to me by mistake. It is full of wild random charges and credit notes (147 of them) all based on four years of estimates with a fictitious start readingt. It makes quite hilarious reading, at one point the outstanding balance was estimated at £7000! Ridiculous! And more useful evidence of their sheer incompetence in the matter, perhaps.

• 4 weeks later...

I may still need that baseball bat yet. Despite them having accepted my offer and saying (on 5 october, in an email) that account balance was now zero, I today received another bill for £102 for usage (charged at business rates, using estimated readings of course) for the month of September. Cheeky gits! Well, they can go and **** themselves because as far as I am concerned the matter is fully settled and any further correspondence from them is going to be dealt with by me as "harassment"...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: After speaking to BG on the phone just before Xmas, they assure me it was an error on their part and apologised profusely! The account balance is now zero. Again.

In the meantime I find today (boxing day) that Scottish Power has mixed my email address with another customer's, so when I log in I have all of his details! Additionally, SP website now say "we're sory you're leaving us", and I never requested to leave (this is the gas being eroneously transferred this time)

Boy oh boy oh boy. I am speechless at the sheer stupidity of all of these mistakes, right left and centre.

The processes that these people ""follow"" are obviously seriously flawed. This is going to give me a coronary before the year is out....

Thanks David

I sent an email on 27/12/12.

When trying to access my account today, I am now told my account is closed. WTF ?

I also received an email today from SP addressed to the other customer saying his direct debit has increased.

As SP are now letting me access his account, maybe I should phone this customer directly, and tell him of the security breach also?

That might get the ball moving a little faster.

I think this is a serious breach of security and confidentiality !!

Edited by CongaMan