• Tweets

• Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant as an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
    • I am heading over to hers tomorrow so I will find out.  Will there be something written in the agreement or does it depend on the agreement its self ? Just so I know what to look for, so I can provide as much information as possible on here. 
    • The answer to this is going to depend on what the agreement your friend signed says. Or contact the housing provider and ask them.  
    • Thank you all for the responses, to answers a few questions  - she has had the car since Jan 23 on a 5 year term.  - She is unsure what the agreement is called, but at the end she has the option to make a payment to "buy" the car - she recieves benefits for her young children alongside the ssp (normally she would be on NLW for a 16 hr a week job)  - Yes she would like to keep the car  She has not responded to the last email from them asking her to call and it'll be followed up in an email. I told her to hold off until atleast Wednesday so I can read a few posts on here and get some more information.  I will ensure she follows up with a letter, that has not been signed but instead her name written.   Thank you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

An ongoing saga.

jimfishybob
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The letter below pretty much explains the situation up to press and will be posted tomorrow.

Will keep you updated.

Dear xxx,

On the 21st August 2006 I wrote to you requesting certain documents under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Thank you for your reply dated 5th September 2006.

As stipulated in my reply to your letter, (dated 8th September 2006), you have failed to provide any of the documents requested.

Further, the 'Account Sale Agreement' you provided contains no reference to any account or in any way relates to me personally. Merely, it is a woefully incomplete, (3 pages of a 22 page document), set of terms and conditions relating to a contract of non-specific nature, between yourselves and Citifinancial Europe. Consequently this does not constitute a deed of assignment nor proof that you are now the legal owners of any agreement which may have existed.

As you are no doubt aware, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, (section 78, in conjunction with The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983), states that these documents must be supplied within 12 working days and failure to do so would constitute a default on the part of the supplier. It goes on to say that if the default continues for a calender month then an offence has been committed.

Since my request dated 21st August 2006 you have failed to supply me with:-

1. A copy of the executed agreement and any document referred to therein.

2. A statement of account.

3. A deed of assignment showing your authority to pursue any agreement if such an agreement exists.

4. A copy of the default notice purported, by you, (in your letter dated 9th June 2006), to have been sent by Citifinancial Europe but never received.

5. A copy of my written consent for you to process my data or a copy of the notice whereby I gave my consent for Citifinancial Europe to transfer their obligations of data

protection. (it is noted you claim consent is contained within paragraph 12 of Citifinancials' terms and conditions. I refute this for the reasons stated in my letter dated 8th September 2006. Further to this, even if paragraph 12 did contain such consent, you have failed to show where I agreed to this term)

Contained in my original request was a notice pursuant to Section 10(1) and Section 12(1) of The Data Protection Act 1998 that you cease to process any of my data and remove all data in which I can be personally identified from your automated processes.

Section 10(3) and Section 12(3) of The Data Protection Act 1998 require that you respond to such a notice within 21 days, either:

(a)stating that you have complied or intend to comply with the data subject notice or

b)stating your reasons for regarding the data subject notice as to any extent justified and the extent, (if any), to which you have complied or intend to comply.

Please note, the letter dated 21st August 2006 containing this notice was deemed served on the 24th August 2006, although in actual fact it was received by your office on the 23nd August 2006. Consequently, the deadline for a response expired on 13th September 2006.

To summarise I believe you have committed an offence by breaching the following:-

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 78 (Duty to give information to a debtor under a running account credit agreement)

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 174 (Restrictions on disclosure of information)

The Data Protection Act 1998 Section 10 (Right to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress)

The Data Protection Act 1998 Section 12 (Rights in relation to automatic decision taking)

I am sure you are aware each of the above breaches is punishable by summary conviction.

I am now of the opinion that you are unfit to hold a Consumer Credit Licence as determined by the fitness test outlined in the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (section 25 (b)).

I now require that you remove any reference to this agreement from my credit file and immediate cessation of the processing of my data to any third parties as this data is unsubstantiated. You have failed to show I gave consent to this processing or that there is a legitimate interest as per the first and sixth principles of The Data Protection Act 1998. I also require a statement of account to ascertain any monies owed. There will be no further payments made to this account.

If you do not respond or do not respond positively within the next 7 days I will have no option but to report your breaches to the relevant statutory authorities, including but not limited to Trading Standards, The Office of Fair Trading, The Information Commissioners Office, The Financial Ombudsman and The Financial Services Authority. Further, I will initiate a claim through the courts to force disclosure of these documents and recompense for my time, distress and legal advice.

I trust I have made myself clear on this matter and that you appreciate the irony in me being required to explain the legal position in which a company trading as 'Direct Legal Collections' has positioned itself.

Should you be in any doubt as to your legal obligations may I recommend consultation with your legal counsel.

Yours Sincerely

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

Lol.

Thanks.

I may be verbose but my legal knowledge was sorely lacking until I came on here. I learnt everything I know from this site. Long may it continue.

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I'm hoping to be in the same position as you before long in that i'll know what im talking about and know where i stand.

I'm in a mess at the moment and need to get stuff sorted!

To quote Public Enemy.........

"Fight the power, fight the powers that be" :D

The letter would be great setting out particulars of claim for a court action but is far too long to be sent to a debt collector of dubious reading and comprehension abilities.

I would cut it back drastically so as to be short and to the point - you have failed to provide me with the requested details as required by law, remove the default and p*** off.

I disagree.

I'm actively trying to avoid court if at all possible, I am not relishing the challenge as some people on here seem to do, I merely want to sort the situation out.

My hope is that by informing the DCA of all salient points, I can avoid having to take further action, though I am quite prepared to do so if neccessary.

I realise you are trying to avoid court - so is the debt collecting scumbags, the last thing they want is a judge poking his/her nose into their business and not liking what he finds - but to write them a letter which, by my reckoning is three pages long, will not be read by these baboons and simply be ignored.

This is just my advice but believe me a short, brief note is far better than a lengthy multi-page letter.

So my options are:-

Send a lengthy letter have them ignore it and go to court,

or

Send a brief letter, they think I don't know what i'm on about, ignore it and I go to court.

What a crappy state of affairs.

The letter below pretty much explains the situation up to press and will be posted tomorrow.

Will keep you updated.

Dear xxx,

On the 21st August 2006 I wrote to you requesting certain documents under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Thank you for your reply dated 5th September 2006.

As stipulated in my reply to your letter, (dated 8th September 2006), you have failed to provide any of the documents requested.

Further, the 'Account Sale Agreement' you provided contains no reference to any account or in any way relates to me personally. Merely, it is a woefully incomplete, (3 pages of a 22 page document), set of terms and conditions relating to a contract of non-specific nature, between yourselves and Citifinancial Europe. Consequently this does not constitute a deed of assignment nor proof that you are now the legal owners of any agreement which may have existed.

As you are no doubt aware, the Consumer Credit Act 1974, (section 78, in conjunction with The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983), states that these documents must be supplied within 12 working days and failure to do so would constitute a default on the part of the supplier. It goes on to say that if the default continues for a calender month then an offence has been committed.

Since my request dated 21st August 2006 you have failed to supply me with:-

1. A copy of the executed agreement and any document referred to therein.

2. A statement of account.

3. A deed of assignment showing your authority to pursue any agreement if such an agreement exists.

4. A copy of the default notice purported, by you, (in your letter dated 9th June 2006), to have been sent by Citifinancial Europe but never received.

5. A copy of my written consent for you to process my data or a copy of the notice whereby I gave my consent for Citifinancial Europe to transfer their obligations of data

protection. (it is noted you claim consent is contained within paragraph 12 of Citifinancials' terms and conditions. I refute this for the reasons stated in my letter dated 8th September 2006. Further to this, even if paragraph 12 did contain such consent, you have failed to show where I agreed to this term)

Contained in my original request was a notice pursuant to Section 10(1) and Section 12(1) of The Data Protection Act 1998 that you cease to process any of my data and remove all data in which I can be personally identified from your automated processes.

Section 10(3) and Section 12(3) of The Data Protection Act 1998 require that you respond to such a notice within 21 days, either:

(a)stating that you have complied or intend to comply with the data subject notice or

b)stating your reasons for regarding the data subject notice as to any extent justified and the extent, (if any), to which you have complied or intend to comply.

Please note, the letter dated 21st August 2006 containing this notice was deemed served on the 24th August 2006, although in actual fact it was received by your office on the 23nd August 2006. Consequently, the deadline for a response expired on 13th September 2006.

To summarise I believe you have committed an offence by breaching the following:-

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 78 (Duty to give information to a debtor under a running account credit agreement)

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 174 (Restrictions on disclosure of information)

The Data Protection Act 1998 Section 10 (Right to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress)

The Data Protection Act 1998 Section 12 (Rights in relation to automatic decision taking)

I am sure you are aware each of the above breaches is punishable by summary conviction.

I am now of the opinion that you are unfit to hold a Consumer Credit Licence as determined by the fitness test outlined in the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (section 25 (b)).

I now require that you remove any reference to this agreement from my credit file and immediate cessation of the processing of my data to any third parties as this data is unsubstantiated. You have failed to show I gave consent to this processing or that there is a legitimate interest as per the first and sixth principles of The Data Protection Act 1998. I also require a statement of account to ascertain any monies owed. There will be no further payments made to this account.

If you do not respond or do not respond positively within the next 7 days I will have no option but to report your breaches to the relevant statutory authorities, including but not limited to Trading Standards, The Office of Fair Trading, The Information Commissioners Office, The Financial Ombudsman and The Financial Services Authority. Further, I will initiate a claim through the courts to force disclosure of these documents and recompense for my time, distress and legal advice.

I trust I have made myself clear on this matter and that you appreciate the irony in me being required to explain the legal position in which a company trading as 'Direct Legal Collections' has positioned itself.

Should you be in any doubt as to your legal obligations may I recommend consultation with your legal counsel.

Yours Sincerely

Minor typo Change 23nd August 2006 to 23rd August 2006

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

Thanks Janner, had already done this. :D

Looks like you may have been right Nailpost...

...still no word...

...tick tock, tick tock....

Hi jimfishybob

I have been following this thread with interest and do not wish to high jack it.

Could you please explain the order, if any, of the different requests ie CCA, SAR, section 10 + 12 of the DPA or a for the to process your data should be served.

As money is pretty tight this end, could you explain the need to invest £10.00 in the SAR or can you ask for the copy of your permision to precess your data and still serve the Section 10 + 12 free of charge?

I think I can understand the need for a DPA (SAR), and that is to get to see what data they hold. But can you still serve the Section 10 + 12 without the need for SAR.

I hope you understand my question.

Thank you in advance

Regards......Turnaround

It depends on what you are trying to acheive?

Basicaly, the alleged debt is unenforcable because they cant provide a copy of the original agreement as per CCA request.

I have descovered a default on my CRF from them, as they cant provide the copy of the original agreement, then in my view I haven't given them permision to process my data and wish they remove the default and stop processing my data.

Can I request this without the need for DSAR plus £10.00 and just serve the Section 10+12 with out a fee.

Regards.....Turnaround

In broad terms:

A S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) merely requests that a company send you all information they hold on you. If you already know this information then there is little point in requesting it. Consquently Sections 10 + 12 can still be served regardless of an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request).

However, the CCA also includes provisions relating to the disclosure of data. In this respect it can be better to fight it on that front, as the likelihood is they will respond to section 10 + 12 within 21 days saying that your request is unjustified,(the inclusion of the Data Protection Act in my case is really just an aside to strengthen my position as they didn't respond at all).

Therefore, submit a request under the CCA, if the agreement fails to show then not only have they breached section 77 or 78 they have also failed to show where they had consent to disclose your data to third parties as per section 174, (if there is no agreement how can there be permission?).

• Confused 1

Thank you so much for explaining that.

I'm sure other readers, as well will benifit from that......

I can understand the frustrating dilema between long and short letters, do you point out their statutary responsibilities or should they know them. In most cases i would go for the latter and let them trip up. But its a personal call if you would prefer not to go to court but are willing to do so.

Best Regards

Turnaround

Recieved a letter today:-

(i'm paraphrasing)

Sorry we've not got back to you.

I acknowledge your request

...but i'm on holiday till the 30th, i'll deal with it then

Er...No.

You acknowledged it when you sent me a letter saying you'd try to get hold of it back on September 5th.

Pressing on.....

Emails gone to TS,the FSA and Information Commissioners Office today with copies of letters attatched.

Wait and see, eh?

(as a side note, the online complaints procedure for the Information Commissioners Office is a freakin' nightmare!)

Had a call today from TS.

But I wasn't in, :(

Will call them tomorrow and keep updating.

Ok.

TS have asked me to sign some forms and submit this to an investigation currently being conducted by the OFT on DLC.

Curiouser and curiouser......

Have been emailed this by Trading Standards.

PERMISSION TO DISCLOSE ENCLOSURE

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

LICENSEE: HILLESDEN SECURITIES LTD T/A DIRECT LEGAL & COLLECTIONS

LICENCE NO: 100058

Please sign and date your preferred option:

Option A

I give my consent for the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to disclose details of my complaint concerning the above trader, including my name and address details, in any further action that it may take under the Act or under any other legislation administered by the OFT.

I also give my consent to the OFT to use the information provided by me in the performance of any of its functions and to disclose that information to others where legally permissible. For example, the OFT may disclose such information in connection with enforcement of regulatory action under its own powers or may refer the information to another government department or enforcement authority.

Signed: ……………………………………………………………………..

Print name: ……………………………………………………………………..

Date: ………………………………………………………………………

Option B

I do not give my permission for the OFT to disclose details of my complaint concerning the above trader, including my name and address details, in any further action that it may take under the Act or for any other purpose as outlined above.

Signed: ……………………………………………………………………..

Print name: ……………………………………………………………………..

Date: ……………………………………………………………………..

Please note the OFT can only use your details in any action we may take against the above trader if you give your written permission for us to do so.

Definitely sounds like somehting is afoot...

In response to a letter I sent informing that their time, (and then some), was up:-

I am in receipt of the letter signed on behalf of A E Locke, dated 16th October 2006.

You are reminded that acknowledgement of my request was made in your letter dated 5th September 2006. A further acknowledgement, some six weeks later is an unnecessary delaying tactic on the behalf of Direct Legal & Collections.

The request for more time as your data controller is away on holiday is, frankly, ludicrous. Your company has repeatedly ignored my requests under statute since 21st August 2006. Were there any intention of complying with my request Mr./Ms. Locke had ample time in the eight weeks prior.

Further, I am aware that you have sent identical letters requesting more time to several other correspondents, suggesting that, rather than my case being an isolated over-sight, these flagrant breaches of statute are standard practice for Direct Legal & Collections.

Under the circumstances and to prevent unnecessary cost to either party, I am prepared to delay legal action until 6th November 2006. However, I have today submitted a complaint to your local Trading Standards, The Financial Ombudsman and The Information Commisioner..

Please be aware, this is my final correspondence on the matter. If you do not respond or do not respond positively before 6th November 2006, I will commence legal action without further notice.

I recieved this today:-

The red is obviously mine.

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd October 2006. in response to our letter dated 16th October 2006.

I would confirm and advise the following:-

1. I acknowledge the £1 payment in connection with your data requests. (for the third time).

2. We have requested copies of the paperwork required in your letter dated 7th October 2006, (you said this on the 5th September) and are still awaiting a copy of your original agreement with Citifinancial, together with statement of account(nice grammar). When these are available they will be forwarded to you.

3.If we are unable to forward a copy of the original agreement, we will be able to supply a true copy of the document which will comply with section 78 of the CCA. (No it won't)

4.A copy of the key pages of the sale document will be forwarded to you shortly.(Then why did you omit them in the first place? Not trying to decieve me are you?)

5.In view of the current dispute, and our inability to supply a copy of the document at this time, we have informed the CRA's to suppress our entry pending resolution. (Whatever that means)

Should you require anything further at this point please contact me accordingly. I will update you on developments in 21 days if there are no developments beforehand. (I can promise you, there will be developments beforehand).

Yours sincerely

Data Controller, (Thought you were on your hols)

This is a fairly standard letter from them apparently, though it usually appears much earlier in the process. I'm actually quite glad i've recieved it as it strengthens my case somewhat.

STILL no mention of the Data Protection Act notices.

I can't be bothered responding and will let Trading Standards and The current OFT investigation deal with it now.

Also just got a response from the FSA saying it isn't within their remit. Which I suspected anyway to be honest.

Right.

Mother of all packages sent to TS on Friday. Hopefully will hear from them soon.