Tax Credits - Single Person Claim or Couple Claim

sallypotter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Due to financial reasons in not being able to buy 2 seperate properties i may have to buy a jointly owned property with my estranged husband.

At present i live with my adult son and my estranged husband lives with our 2 dependant children. He receives both elements of tax credits.

I have read a lot of problems on the internet of people being treated as a couple when they are not or when they decide to be a couple being treated as though they had been a couple for many many years. Then HMRC asking for thousands of pounds to be paid back!!!!!

I am not being treated as part of a couple at the present time.

I am seriously petrified about the situation and need help as to how to make the right choice/s.

I have been to the CAB twice, scoured the internet, rang up Community Legal Advice but have no answers. I feel pushed into making a decision that will back fire.

Can anyone suggest any help?

Hi everyone,

Just read my post and not sure i've made myself clear about the problems i'm expecting with HMRC.

I'm worried that i will be treated as part of a couple with my estranged husband, i receive esa income related (not much esa as i have some savings so a reduced amount) so no doubt that will stop and i will have to live on my savings.

My main worry is that HMRC will say i was never estranged from my husband, (we have been for years though) and he will have to pay back thousands meaning any house bought together would have to be sold and everyone will be homeless.....

Hope that has explained the situation and will be grateful for any help.

Sally

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Is there ANYONE that could help me with my problem?

I don't want to end up in a mess that i don't need to.

I've read lots on the problems people are having with HMRC, surely SOMEONE PLEASE could give me some advice i don't know where to turn that i haven't already surely prevention is better than cure.:-(

Sal