• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

capital resolve chasing old co-op card 'debt'

Guest Porkwellington
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Porkwellington

Dear Caggers....

I'm in one of those situations; probably too familiar to a lot of people - but with a "twist".

I separated from my wife and moved out of the Marital home a couple of years ago; I've been in regular touch as there are children involved... I am still paying the mortgage plus allowances etc - £2,600/month

Incidentally - in the last 2 years I have had a tripe heart bypass and been signed off work with depression/stress.

A cople of days ago I recieved a demand for £6,600 for non payment of a credit card bill from a company called Capital Resolve.... The first I had heard of the bill well before I left home. There is no information other than the amount

There are instruction as to where to send payments or agree a payment schedule - or to have a visit from one of their representatives by the 15th May - the letter was posted on the 8th.

They have now follwoed up the letter with an open card informing me that I wil be visited by one of their representatives in the next week unless I call to make a specific call "Immediately".

I have no intention of shirking the responsibility for the debt but I have a couple of questions...... The letters are attatched.

1. What would the significance of the 15th of May be - it seems to be purely arbritary?

2. Are they being intimidating by following it up by this orrible card?

I am pretty brassic due to the payments to the estaranged wife etc and don't have acess to anywher that amount of funds - am I allowed to change their date of the 15th to give myself more breathing space ?

Any help would be much appreciated:-(

IMG.pdf

IMG_0002.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've unapproved the attachments as they contain identifying information.

How old is this alleged debt and when was the last time you made a payment or written Acknowledgement?

Was there any PPI involved and have they added any unfair charges?

Guest Porkwellington

Sorry about the attachments

- I thought That I'd covered the personal stuff...

I don't know exactly how old the debt is as

- things just used to come out of the account when I was married (the last time I have a joint account)..

. it has to be at least two and a half years at least since any payment has been made.

As far as other charges go - the only thing that I have to go on is the total - there is no break down - should I be asking for one ?

Thankyou for your response

is it on your cra file?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

First of all, dont panic - this company is breaching OFT guidelines by even considering turning up on your doorstep without an appointment and I imagine you arent going to be making one of those.

You will find a "do not visit me" letter in the CAG library, linked at the top of each screen. I suggest you print it out, send a copy with proof of posting Capital Resolve and keep a copy by the front door. IF someone does turn up on your doorstep, just hand them the copy of the letter and ask them to leave your property. They have absolutely no right to be there without your permission - do not engage in conversation with them.

2: You need to establish if this account has been assigned/sold to Capital Resolve or if they are merely collecting on behalf of the Co-op. Fill in the blanks in the letter below and send it to Capital Resolve.

Draft request for assignment - Amended Draft.doc

3: You need to send a CCA request to Capital Resolve - there is a draft template in the CAG library, linked at the top of each screen. You need to send £1.00 with the request (legal fee) and they have 12 working days + 2 to provide you with a copy.

4: You need to send a Subject Access Request to the Cooperative Bank - you can find a draft letter in the CAG library, linked at the top of each screen. You need to send £10.00 with the request (legal fee) they have 40 calendar days to comply with the request - which is a copy of ALL the data they hold in respect of your financial dealings with them.

Meanwhile, you need to stay off the telephone with Capital Resolve until such times as you have established if they have the right to do anything other than collect funds, whether you DO have any liability to either them or the Coop and whether there are any PPI or charges that you can reclaim.

You need to keep all communication to writing, that way you have a paper trail.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest Porkwellington

Thankyou for the interest - I've spent a happy hour or so being refused by both noddle and equifax - I think because of the change of address so - in answer to your question - I am 99% sure it's on my cra. I've had the card for a long time so it must be referenced surely ?

Guest Porkwellington

Thankyou for that citizenB and I will do what you suggest immediately - It all sounded fishy to me but I just didn't know where to start at all. I will keep the thread updated if you think that will be of use ?

Thankyou again - Andy

Yes, please keep us up to date with your progress and of course if there is anything else we can do to help, just shout :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest Porkwellington

Just an after thought

- is it usual practice for these sort of outfits to just send a card saying you are going to be visited

- anyone can read it and know/guess what's going on

- from the postman to you spouse/partner

- strikes me as being very sneaky

- the card didn't have any figures on

- but then it didn't need to.

I also looked this outfit up on a credit check and their income/asst chart seems to have shrunk considerable over the past few years..

. I was wondering if they were using underhand tactics to generate some quick revenue....

prob the yellow mr green s calling.

been around for 30yrs

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just an after thought

- is it usual practice for these sort of outfits to just send a card saying you are going to be visited

- anyone can read it and know/guess what's going on

- from the postman to you spouse/partner

- strikes me as being very sneaky

- the card didn't have any figures on

- but then it didn't need to.

I also looked this outfit up on a credit check and their income/asst chart seems to have shrunk considerable over the past few years..

. I was wondering if they were using underhand tactics to generate some quick revenue....

Despite being a breach of OFT debt collection guidance, yes.. there are still a few companies who do this. You should make a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, enclosing a copy of the post card.

OFT are unable to act on behalf of an individual, but they are supposed to keep records of any complaints made by them - then where there is sufficient evidence/complaints - they act.

You only need read other threads to see some of the disgraceful tactics used by some of the Debt Collection Industry :(

They rely on the ignorance of the "debtor" in order to obtain a knee jerk reaction which will result in one of 3 actions - admission of liability, money flowing into the account or that the recipient will telephone them.

The telephone is the weapon of choice of the Debt Collection Industry - they can say what ever they like without there being any record. So unless you are able to record calls - stay off the phone.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

Guest Porkwellington

I'lll make a complaint while I am following up Capital Resolve - I would hate to have been mrs miggins with no one to talk to or no computer access when that card fell through the letterbox on a Saturday morning. Would you like me to post the letter back for the CAG reference library :lol:

only if there are a good few words to read after the swear filter has done its job!

dx

and they

I'lll make a complaint while I am following up Capital Resolve - I would hate to have been mrs miggins with no one to talk to or no computer access when that card fell through the letterbox on a Saturday morning. Would you like me to post the letter back for the CAG reference library :lol:

Which letter, the one you are going to write :)

BCOBS

Guest Porkwellington

Yes sorry - post as in put up as opposed to postman Pat. I've doctored the CAG standard letters now - ready for sending off tomorrow... I feel a LOT better about the whole thing now - in control you might say ! Thankyou so so much !!:whoo:

Yes, it is good to be in control of your life again :)

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Porkwellington

Dear CitizenB

Just to recap - I have a debt - I believe on a coop credit card - of £6600. I thought it had been dealt with ages ago - obviously not - so I have executed your plan! and not heard back.... I have also paid twenty quid for a one off report from checkmyfile.com..... It outlines all sorts of other problems I didn't know I had with credit cards - which I believed had been sorted out by my ex.

The problems include 2 county court judgements.....

I am now officially at my wits end - I haven't sen correspondence from the companies concerned - and have been ignoring phone calls as you have suggested.....

Should I try to proactively find out more about these alleged accounts or - if I ignore it - will it go away ?

Should I now be posting this as a new thread on a different forum ?

Help and regards - Andy

if you did nt receive any court claimforms you might be able to get them set aside

yes i'd start a new thread for each

dx

and they

You should be able to obtain information regarding any issues by sending Subject Access requests to the companies involved - it will cost you £10.00 per company and they are obliged to comply within 40 calendar days.

You will find a draft SAR letter in the CAG library.

You might find information regarding the CCJs on the following link

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

It will cost you £2.00 for the search I think.

If you have not received any paperwork in respect of the County Court Claims, then it might be possible to have these set aside. But of course you need to know as much as you can about them. EG, which court, claim number, claimant etc..

BCOBS

Guest Porkwellington

Thankyou for that - I will act on that - I've also purchased the small claims book to find out more on this "setting aside"

Again - I'll let you know what happens.

Kind regards - Andy

(I suspect I'm going to be a fully qualified debt councillor at the end of this process!)

Guest Porkwellington

Dear very helpful CAG folks.......

Having sent off the request for assignment and CCA letters to Capital Resolve - collecting on behalf of the coop (allegedly) - I have had back a 2 page copy of the original card application form....and a note asking me to call and arrange a payment plan.... I was expecting something more somehow.

The form does ask me to agree to be bound by the terms and conditions - which there is a reference to. which I have signed and they have also signed - which I assume is acceptance of the application.

They have intriguingly torn off ( yes there is a rough edge) a strip about an inch wide from the second page of the photocopy.

There has been no direct response to the request for assignment letter - I don't think the copy of the application form would prove that either way ?

What should I do now - as their response does not say anything about the assignment - should I write back re-iterating that request ?

Kind regards - Andy

Edited by Porkwellington
I have asked for a response twice

Guest Porkwellington

Thanks for that Halibutt - I'll look into it - I have an idea that I was paying PPI for sometime but then cancelled it around the turn of the millennium when I realised that it was just another way of making money out of me.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Porkwellington

So the situation now is that I recieved a letter from them

Dear CAG folks.......

Just to recap....

Capital Resolve wrote to me on behalf of the COOP to collect £6,500 for a credit card I had

with them.

For a variety of reasons this debt hasn't been serviced for around 2 years.

CR followed their letter up a few days later with a postcard to say that one of their advisors

would visit me to discuss the above debt. The postcard also did a great job of introducing

the subject to my partner.

As advised; I sent off the request for assignment and CCA letters to Capital Resolve

I have had back a 2 page photocopy of the original credit card application form which has a

reference to the Ts and Cs at the time when I signed up. There was also a letter requesting me

to call and arrange a payment plan asap.

An inch of the bottom of the photocopy has been torn off.....???

I was expecting more....a couple of days ago I had another letter from them threatening court

action if they had no response before the 13th.

What should I do now - as their response does not say anything about the assignment -

should I write back re-iterating that request ?

Kin regards - Andy

Kind regards - Andy

hat was the result of the CRa file?

does this debt show?

dx

and they