• Tweets

• I bought my house 2 years ago. The previous owner had died. I continue to recieve parking fines and communication from DVLA in the name of the dead person, despite contacting DVLA via post to inform them I am the new owner of the property. I have sent them proof of purchase and ownership but the communications continue to arrive. Aside from using "return to sender", does anyone have any idea how to stop this and get DVLA to update their records? Not sure if relevant but the Tax class on the vehicle is disabled meaning that the price of vehicle tax is £0 per year. I assume someone is using this to get free vehicle tax which is up to them, but I'm bored of fighting with parking charge companies and getting threatening letters, as whoever is doing this is also not very good at paying for parking.
    • I haven't heard of them asking for photographic evidence in this way before – but I don't think it will really pose a problem. Have you got a history of sending parcels which were then lost and you had to claim for? When you send your letter of claim? Was the item properly declared? Was the item correctly valued? Please answer these questions and then take at least a couple of days reading very thoroughly the stories on this sub- forum. There are lots of them. Read some of the pinned topics at the top which will explain the principles and then read the stories to see other people's experience. Post up your letter of claim in PDF format so we can see what you sent.  
    • Just to clarify - it was the lender who undertook works, not me.  They racked up huge huge sums in refurb costs - which were completely unnecessary.  They have been trying to charge all the costs to me.  I refuse to be held accountable in my defence and counterclaim.   (I refuse to  be held liable for these works costs whether vat was or wasn't added - I maintain its the lender that must cover the costs).  It was a ridiculous sum of money and made no difference to their ability to sell either.  As its still unsold.    I can see - from disclosure paperwork - that the lender ceo uses this contractor all the time on other properties - for himself and for the bank.  The payer may not be responsible for the contractor's failure to add vat - but the ceo can clearly see it's not being charged - and again and again on all his jobs.  So he is complicit even if not guilty of the actual fraud.    I admit I'm angry with them. The sheer injustice and arrogance (that they could/ can do whatever they want and get away with it - has been astounding.  It's why I have fought so hard to get justice.  This particular issue is just another niggle.  They think they are above the law; can circumvent it - with no consequences / repercussions.    Thank you dx for pointing me to the link. I will now follow that up
    • I have posted the letter off today - sent recorded delivery, so should get to the Police early next week. I also walked along the street where this happened and checked if there were any CCTV cameras or video door bells in that section of the road, but could only find one. I talked to the owners of the house with the camera but they say it is set to only cover the area leading up to the house and not really the pavement or road and footage also auto deletes after 72 hours, so anything captured would be gone now. That was disappointing. I walked along the road a bit more, but couldn't see any other video door bells or CCTV, so that didn't help.  I always thought most people have at least a video door bell these days but not in that road... 😐 So came home a bit disappointed.  If anything else happens I will post an update here, but may not be for a week or so. Not sure how long this will take now.
    • Hi all.   I've just cancelled my Virgin Media because my Wife and I are going abroad for 12 months or so. My Son will be staying in our home, and wishes to start a contract with them. He signed up to a great deal for New Customers online, and a Contract Agreement was signed online. He had a delivery date for a Self Installation Kit but it never arrived. After speaking to numerous Virgin Media Staff online, they are insisting that he calls their Pre Installation Team (I presume that is their sales Team to try and get more money). He doesn't want to speak to them over the phone. He doesn't mind doing a Live Chat, but he hasn't got an Account Number yet, so that's impossible. He even had a chat with a Team Member on Whatsapp, who say they don't have access to the information they need, so he has no option but to call them. Why can't they just be straightforward with their Communications? Is there any other option other than calling them?   TIA.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Please can someone help me...Barclays & Moorcroft..really stressing

MummyJen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

wondering if someone would be able to help me please

im so worried i can barely sleep and have constant stress headaches :-(

I work part time have 2 young children and a low income which is topped up with WTC i have some debts that im trying to sort out.

I had a buisness current account with Barclays

the buisness stopped trading over a year and half ago as it was no longer making money

there was no debt on the buisness apart from the overdraft on my barclays buisness account which was £800

i sent letters to barclays asking them if i could pay this of by installments and i sent income and expenditure forms,

unfortunatly i wasnt clued up or anything and didnt know this forum existed

so i never sent letters recorded or anything just regular post.

I never had any responce to my letters and the buisness account was closed after £450 charges was added to it.

I havent heard anything from them in approx 14 months and i knew the day would come when i would but i just stupidly ignored it worrying myself in the mean time.

i got a letter today of barclays saying Moorcroft were now managing this debt

and i should contact them on a matter of urgency to discuss payment.

I havent as yet had any letters of Moorcroft although i suspect they are on there way.

So what do i do?

i know i ask for all communications in writing only...

Should i wait for moorcroft to get in touch with me?

im not denying i owe this debt so i dont see the point in a cca request is this correct?

i want to pay it back but can only afford small monthly payments and i dont think it will be enough to keep moorcroft happy (£20 per month)

i really want to avoid court action on this

do you think its possible to avoid court action?

I am so worried about it all.

Also is it worth trying to claim any of the £450 charges back that has been added on?

if so how do i do that?

Many thanks in advance to you guys.. x

ignore them

moorcap are a DCA

noDCA has ANY legal powers

and they'll go nowhere near a court

for fear of a counter claim on the charges.

whatever you do NEVER EVER talk about your debts on the phone.

forget the debt and sleep tight.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi MJ,

there was no debt on the buisness apart from the overdraft on my barclays buisness account which was £800

i sent letters to barclays asking them if i could pay this of by installments and i sent income and expenditure forms

When you told the bank you wanted to pay this off by instalments, this should have alerted them to the fact that you were in Financial Difficulty. At that stage, they should have tried to help you. They could have stopped adding charges or interest.

Were you an individual using "Your name trading as Business name" on the account.

If you want to pay off the debt in a manner that you can afford, then you should do so. However, it would be sensible to reduce what they say is owed by reclaiming the charges they have added if this is possible.

Wait for Moorcroft to contact you before deciding how to proceed. As DX says, they have no scary powers although I'm not sure forgetting the debt is what you actually want to do.

In any event, Moorcroft or any other DCA can't force you to pay more than you can afford each month

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Ok the letter has arrived of moorcroft saying full payment of £1223.07 to be made within 7 days or further action etc etc....

i would rather not ignore as i actually work at barclays

(for a outside contractor not for barclays but at a barclays branch and i had to sign something at the start of my employment a few years ago to say i didnt un lawfully owe barclays money.

do i write to moorcroft and tell them i am willing to set up a payment plan at a rate i can afford

however i would like to claim charges back

Have sent S.A.R to barclays to see what charges have been applied and try to bring the debt down to the origional amount or closer to it than £450 extra charges..

..or do i just send barclays a S.A.R and ignore moorcroft.

..(ive had moorcroft turn up at the door a while ago for a differnt catalouge and would prefer not to have them show up again).

I can afford to set up a payment plan of £20 per month for this

do i write to moorcroft and tell them this or try and claim charges back 1st?

im overwhelmed with it all and dont know what to do for the best.

Thank you x

fire the sar off to barclays and ignore moorcrap.

have you looked at your cra file of recent?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

only the owner of the debt can instigate legal action

moorcrap i doubt own the debt - just a std threat-o-gram

your cra file will tell you the owner

dx

and they

Hi MJ,

In my post above, I asked

Were you an individual using "Your name trading as Business name" on the account.

I want to know if this was set up as a specific Business Account, or not. This may be relevant to what we advise.

Don't rush into making contact with Moorcroft and arranging payments. Let us sort things out a little first.

They will have to wait until your are ready to deal with them. See here about the threat of visits - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members

Also see here for a Budget Planner so you can work out what you have left over each month to pay off your non-priority debts - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1712&d=1199396120

:wink:

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

no it wasnt my name it was a buisness name a company name, it was a plumbing buisness and there was empolyee's i just owned the buisness, the employee's were made redundant and got other jobs and the buisness was left with this overdraft due to a builder doing the bunk and not paying his invoice or being contactable the buisness ceased trading and im left with the overdraft from the bank to sort out.

......... in which case, I'm not at all sure you can rely on getting the bank to refund any of their default charges.

Check your CRA file to see if Moorcroft now own the debt.

Use the Budget Planner to see what you could offer them per month.

Did you go guarantor for the company's debts?

The company is a separate legal entity to you - and if it owes money with no guarantors, then the bank has lost its money.

What has happened to the company - has it been dissolved?

Just a guess - but this could be why you are now being chased by a DCA for a debt that is looking like legally it has nothing to do with you.

I assumed from MJ's reply that this was not a Ltd Co, but a small business of which MJ was the owner or proprietor.

it wasnt LTD just a small buisness that was set up a few years ago, ok will use budget planner and work out a offer of repayment, do you think £20 per month would hold them of taking me to court for it? to be honest they would get nothing more at court as i have nothing more to give i dont owne my home its rented i have nothing of value no vehicle or anything. Its stressing me out no end. :(

just had a quick look at budget planner, i have a few debts that arent 'priority' so to speak... household bills (there up to date and so is rent) how do i work out who to give what to who, is it by the amount i owe them? a percentage of the amount left over each month to the amount owing? im a bit confused thank you x

HI MJ,

I know it's easy for us to say, "Don't let this stress you out." but the reality is this - you need only pay them what you can reasonably afford each month.

You should be able to avoid court action if you show them what you can pay, and you maintain those payments.

Also, if they bought the debt, it would have cost them far less than the debt amount so they may be amenable to a Full and Final Settlement offer in due course.

If you want to discuss the matter, you could call National Debtline - http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/ or one of the other debt counselling services (CCCS, CAB).

Dealing with the Budget Planner, it should help you set out all your income and expenses. If there's a surplus at the end of the month, you work out what you owe to creditors overall and offer to pay them a pro-rata amount.

For example, your monthly surplus is £50, your debts total £4,500 and you owe Moorcroft £900. The amount owed to MC's is 20% of the total that you owe overall.

So you offer to pay MC's 20% of your surplus. £50 x 20% = £10 per month. The other creditors would share the remaining 80% pro-rata, depending on what you owe to each.

Hope that clarifies for you.

:-D

sorry for the confusion with the company thing.

i will sit and do calculations with the budget planning form, do i send moorcroft a copy of my budget form as well?

oh and thank you so much for the advice it has made me feel a lot better

its easy to get caught up in the debt situation and worry immensely over it,

it can feel like your the only one in this situation

its good to know there are others in the same situation with debt and nothing to drastic will happen

at 1st i was terrifed i would be chucked in prison and loose my kids

its easy to get carried away with your thoughts when your in a mess,

so thank you x

Hi MummyJen,

You're so right. Many others are in the same position as you but have come to realise that they WON'T be thrown into prison. DCA's may contact you frequently and be a pain in the rear but they have very little power.

Don't write to Moorcroft yet - I want to have a think about how best to move forward with your case.

It may still be worth asking Barclays why they piled on their charges after you told them you were in financial difficulties.

I'll be back later.................

Hi MJ,

1. Please confirm when you wrote to the bank asking for time to pay off the o/d.

2. What did you say to them.

3. Roughly what was the a/c balance at that time.

4. What charges and interest have been added since then.

5. Have you checked your CRA files to see if ownership of the debt has changed from Barclays.

6. Have Barclays or Moorcroft written to you saying the debt has been or is being sold or assigned to Moorcroft.

hi from what i can remember (i was in a bad place a year ago buisness stopping trading letting 2 lads go etc)

1. I wrote to them approx April last year maybe a little before i actually sent about 3 letters but i didnt send any recorded as i didnt even know this site existed i just put them in normal post box and then they kept writing saying i was ignoring them so i sent back that i wasnt etc but never and a responce to my letters.

2. I told them the situation that the work had dried up the lads had been let go and a builder left me in the **** and didnt pay a invoice that was meant to clear the overdraft and could i pay it of on a monthly installment basis and also would they not put charges etc on

3. the balance was approx £800 over drawn

4. the amount due now is 1227.90

5 havent checked CRA file yet ill do that this afternoon

6 i got a letter last week of Barclays to say the debt is being managed by moorcroft and they have since wrote to me as well.

x

Hi MJ,

Do you have copies of the letters that you sent to the bank.

It doesn't matter a whole lot that the letters went in normal post.

:-)