• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gazza and Capone

Gazza112
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really dont know how to advise on this one Gazza. Lets do a pro and con list

For accepting plan:

You have a plan in place for at the very least 6 months.

This should stop all the threatening letters leaving you to deal with other creditors.

Against accepting plan at this stage.

You havent received a reply to your CCA request.

Do they have this document, if so, is it valid.

If they dont, what would have been your next step. Try to get the account written off. Highly unlikely that Capital 1 would do this voluntarily, it would mean going to court. or

Force them to accept £1.00 a month (they have agreed to that already)

If you accept the payment plan, you accept the debt.

You dont get to buy the donuts... :(:p

Edited by citizenB
made a vital amendment :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CitizenB

You frightened me there a £1 a week, i was only going to give them a £1 a month lol.

Its true what you say, if i accept the £1 payment plan then i accept the dept. Considering i never asked them for a payment plan in the first place.

As you said i'm still waiting for there CCA, unless i send them a letter saying as soon as i receive my CCA i will take up your payment offer.

Something like that, what do you think, or i could test the water (hear we go again lol.) and ask them to right of the dept.

Gaz

Gaz

Oops, sorry Gazza, £1.00 a week would probably have made C1 very happy :).

OMG.. you are obsessed with water !!.. :D:D

Possibly in the first instance press them once more for sight of the agreement or ask them to confirm that they do NOT have it and why not. YOu could say something along the lines of.. I am a bit puzzled by your suggested payment plan, when in fact what I actually requested was sight of the agreement you believe exists between us.

Having sent you the required fee for this document, would you now please supply me with it alternatively confirm that you no longer have this in your possession and why?

I know andyorch suggests not pursuing them once they have failed to supply.. I guess again, this is a decision only you can make.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CitizenB

Yes, i may just ask them one more time and see if they have my CCA as they have cashed my postal order. Will have to find a good template for this letter. They also stated that they would default me once the payment plan was in progress. Didn't they default me a couple of months back or was that a bluff.

Gaz

Actually that is a good question Gazza, I looked back over your thread and you have received a "statement of Default" in which they say

"We have terminated your account"

Now it was my understanding they had to Default you first then send you a notice of Termination. Someone else with more knowledge will have to asnwer that question for you.

I doubt there is a template letter as such,

Dear Whoever...

I am in receipt of your letter dated XX XXXX 2008

I am puzzled by your suggested payment plan, which I dont recall asking for. What I actually requested in my letter of XX XXXX 2008 was sight of the agreement you believe exists between us. You received this letter on Xx XXXX 2008.

Having sent you the required fee for this document, would you now please supply me with it. Alternatively confirm that you no longer have this in your possession and why?

Unless someone else comes along with something better.. that should do it.

BCOBS

CitizenB

Ok, i'll leave this over the weekend and think what i'll do over my jam donenut and a cuppa.

I was always addressing them as Dear Sir, but i like yours much better Dear Whoever........ lol.

They also stated that they have terminated my card and if i use it i would be breaking my payment plan. Then they say in the letter i can use that to pay the £1 token payment. Know are they trying to confuse me or what :eek:.

Gaz

CitizenB

Ok, i'll leave this over the weekend and think what i'll do over my jam donenut and a cuppa.

I was always addressing them as Dear Sir, but i like yours much better Dear Whoever........ lol.

They also stated that they have terminated my card and if i use it i would be breaking my payment plan. Then they say in the letter i can use that to pay the £1 token payment. Know are they trying to confuse me or what :eek:.

Gaz

Well judging by their letter,they are confused. They are possibly just attempting to share that with you as well ;)

They would be unlikely to receive any letter you sent over the weekend by Monday anyway so, yes.. putting some thought in over the weekend whilst dunking your donut in a cuppa sounds like a pretty good plan to me. :-D

BCOBS

Hi CitizenB

Hope you had a fab weekend, and didn't do to much trick or treating over the weekend:D.

Ok its official i've lost the plot with Capital 1.

I've received my CCA from them today, be more procise well i received papers from them today if thats any good.

Here's what came through the post today.

Capital1CCA3110001.jpg

Capital1CCA3110002.jpg

Capital1CCA3110003.jpg

Capital1CCA3110004.jpg

Capital1CCA3110005.jpg

Capital1CCA3110006.jpg

Gaz

:lol: I shouldnt worry too much about losing the plot, Gazza. I dont actually think it is you but Capital One who have deviated from the master plan.

Sending current t&cs is not acceptable.. if they think that this complies with the CCA then they are very much mistaken.

I am sure there is a letter lurking around the forums. I will have a look for you and link it here for you a bit later on.

Meanwhile, go and have a cup of tea or practise your high dives :D:D

BTW, did you send the letter in post 30.. if you havent sent that already, then I think we can add a bit extra to it.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

Hi CitizenB

I am a worrier :D, i've waited weeks passing up and down for this getting me all worked up :eek:.

Then what do i get is more wallpaper, they cant even get the paper right, iasked for pink :eek:.

I received my Barclaycard one as well today, and thats just as bad as this one.

I didn't sent the letter from post 30 today.

Gaz

Ok, I copied over the other letter and just added a bit.

Dear Whoever...

FORMAL COMPLAINT

ACCOUNT NO:........ ?

I am in receipt of your letters dated 24th October received by me on the 31st October and your letter dated 23rd October which was received today.

In respect of your letter dated 24th October : I am puzzled by your suggested payment plan, which I dont recall asking for. What I actually requested in my letter of XX XXXX 2008 was sight of the agreement you believe exists between us. You received this letter on Xx XXXX 2008.

Having sent you the required fee for this document, would you now please supply me with it. Alternatively confirm that you no longer have this in your possession and why?

In respect of your letter dated 23rd October: Obviously you received the letter I refer to above, but still you fail to provide me with the documents I have requested. Just sending current terms and conditions is not acceptable.

I must insist that you now send me a copy of the agreement I have requested and paid for under the Consumer Credit Agreement Act 1974

I look forward to receiving the above within 14 days. If you are unable to provide this, then please advise your Final Response when I will be able to make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours etc,

Unless someone else comes along with something better.. that should do it.

You need to fill in the dates you sent the original request and their receipt of same.

Gazza, you are keeping the envelopes that come with these letters arent you ?

Hmmm, pink !!. Lilac is the "in" colour now I believe ;)

BCOBS

Hi Gazza, I would remove your total debt sum from your posting no 33 if I were you - you never know who's snooping round the site; would hate for any of the DCA's to identify you from this.

CitizenB, do you have any reference to the part of the act that says they have to supply you with T&Cs that were in place at the time of your original agreement? Sending out current T&Cs seems to be standard now and I was told that they do fulfill a CCA request since the 2006 amendments:(, but that if they want to take it to court they would need to produce the old T&Cs - bizarre! There's a lot of confusion over this; it would great if someone could clear it up.

CitizenB, do you have any reference to the part of the act that says they have to supply you with T&Cs that were in place at the time of your original agreement? Sending out current T&Cs seems to be standard now and I was told that they do fulfill a CCA request since the 2006 amendments:(, but that if they want to take it to court they would need to produce the old T&Cs - bizarre! There's a lot of confusion over this; it would great if someone could clear it up.

Underdog, If I can find a reference I will put a link here for you. I would think the answer lies in the extremely long thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/33174-consumer-credit-act-agreements.html

It is my understanding that the only thing that doesnt have to be supplied for a CCA request to be satisfied is the signature boxes. Which surely is a lot of nonsense, if they have the correct document in the first place then it will be signed ??. The original document with prescribed terms and original t&cs are surely the basis of any future amendments they want to make and will, if court action is taken have to be provided. So why not when requested ?

It is up to the individual to assess, if all the creditor is supplying in respect of a CCA request is current terms and conditions, whether or not any other document is available.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

here you go underdog. The thread itself is a good read and not as long as the other link Consumer Credit Agreements. Post 31 if the link doesnt take you there directly. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/83035-guidelines-requests-original-agreement-2.html#post763551

BCOBS

And also this, .. as far as I am aware, the only amendment to this is that the "criminal" offence part has been removed under the new regulations.

77 Duty to give information to debtor under fixed-sum credit agreement

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for fixed-sum credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the total sum paid under the agreement by the debtor;

(b) the total sum which has become payable under the agreement by the debtor but remains unpaid, and the various amounts comprised in that total sum, with the date when each became due; and

© the total sum which is to become payable under the agreement by the debtor, and the various amounts comprised in that total sum, with the date, or mode of determining the date, when each becomes due.

(2) If the creditor possesses insufficient information to enable him to ascertain the amounts and dates mentioned in subsection (1)©, he shall be taken to comply with that paragraph if his statement under subsection (1) gives the basis on which, under the regulated agreement, they would fall to be ascertained.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to—

(a) an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b) a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(4) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

(5) This section does not apply to a non-commercial agreement.

78 Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the state of the account, and

(b) the amount, if any, currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

© the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

(2) If the creditor possesses insufficient information to enable him to ascertain the amounts and dates mentioned in subsection (1)©, he shall be taken to comply with that paragraph if his statement under subsection (1) gives the basis on which, under the regulated agreement, they would fall to be ascertained.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to—

(a) an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

(b) a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(4) Where running-account credit is provided under a regulated agreement, the creditor shall give the debtor statements in the prescribed form, and with the prescribed contents—

(a) showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer, the state of the account at regular intervals of not more than twelve months, and

(b) where the agreement provides, in relation to specified periods, for the making of payments by the debtor, or the charging against him of interest or any other sum, showing according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer the state of the account at the end of each of those periods during which there is any movement in the account.

(4) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Running account credit is credit cards & fixed credit is loans

BCOBS

Fantastic, thanks CitizenB:) I'm really pleased about this, as I was told they could get away with fobbing you off with the current T&Cs. Quote "shall give the debtor a copy of the agreement (if any) and any other document refered to in it":D Thanks again

Fantastic, thanks CitizenB:) I'm really pleased about this, as I was told they could get away with fobbing you off with the current T&Cs. Quote "shall give the debtor a copy of the agreement (if any) and any other document refered to in it":D Thanks again

If you think about it Underdog, the bit you have highlighted above couldnt possibly be the current terms and conditions as they wouldnt have been printed at the time the account opened. So really any referred document in the original agreement would have to mean the t&cs at THAT time. That's my thinking anyway:D

BCOBS

Don’t forget (and this applies to you Gazza) most credit cards are likely to state on any application/agreement that you sign ‘YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL’ and then something like ‘we will send you in the post details of how to do this’

It doesn’t sound like much but if they fail to send you a copy of the document they refer to then they have not complied with your request. Whether you advise them of it or not is up to you but if they don’t comply they can’t enforce. It’s not your fault if they can’t read.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just received a letter from Capital 1, which as i read it is a bit confusing.

They state thankyou for writing in for M................. Which i sent myself.

Then they state that the last letter sen't didn't have the right 16 digit number on my last letter, which it did. But they still put the 16 digit number on the top of this letter.

What's going on with Capital 1, are they starting to crack under the preasure.

Capital115111111.jpg

Gaz

Edited by Gazza112

I think you are possibly correct, Gazza. If they have cracked up, you will have earned the gratitude of many 1,000s of persecuted CAGers :D

Going back to your letter, it is a bit bizarre isnt i? What was your last letter to them ?, wasnt it the one telling them they had got it wrong !. I am not sure what the answer to this is.

I guess you could write back asking them to clarify the contents of their letter as you havent a clue what they are banging on about. :confused:

BCOBS

It really doesnt make sense at all Gazza. Ok, action plan:D

Take a photocopy of both their letter and the last one you sent them.

Covering letter should read...

Dear Ms airhead,

Your letter dated 13th November (copy of which is enclosed) is rather confusing.

I enclose a copy of my Formal Complaint dated 5th November, nowhere does it advise that this letter has been written by or on behalf of a third party. I wrote it, it refers to me and I signed it. ( How are you signing your letters or not signing them as the case may be) The 16 digit number is the one I have used on previous correspondence and have received correspondence from you bearing that number.

Therefore I see no reason for any further delay in responding to my Formal complaint dated 5th November 2008.

Yours sincerely,

GAZZA

Enclosed copies : your letter dated 13th November and my Formal Complaint dated 5th November

BCOBS

Hi CitizenB

Yes, it is a bit confusing the letter they sent me.

The letters i send them are not signed but my name is typed.

The 16 digit number that was on that letter is the same number that's on my credit card statement.

I'll get that letter sent off tomorrow, with copies of letters sent.

Then see what reply comes back, but i can't believe they put my 16 digit number and postage reference number on the letter they sent me.

Very confusing :confused:.

Gaz

Hi CitizenB

Yes, it is a bit confusing the letter they sent me.

The letters i send them are not signed but my name is typed.

The 16 digit number that was on that letter is the same number that's on my credit card statement.

I'll get that letter sent off tomorrow, with copies of letters sent.

Then see what reply comes back, but i can't believe they put my 16 digit number and postage reference number on the letter they sent me.

Very confusing :confused:.

Gaz

Just a quick question re the postage reference.. it is the same one that is for the letter dated 5th November ? Check it to make sure we are all talking about the same letter, in the event they are referring to another letter you have sent them :D

IMHO, it would have been much easier for them to refer to your letter dated (whenever) :?:

Yep, continue to type your name only :D I would leave out the bit about your signing, the amended paragraph as below.

"I enclose a copy of my Formal Complaint dated 5th November, nowhere does it advise that this letter has been written by or on behalf of a third party. I wrote it and it refers to me. "

BCOBS