Contractor with site access problem with old employer.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I am facing.

I have recently changed job and I am now working as a contractor. Part of the duties of the new job is attending the premises of the my old employee to carry out work.

Before I handed in my notice for the old job, I then asked the relevant person to contact the Human Resources department of the company I was then working for to see if I would be able to attend the site if I started working for a contractor of that company. The HR person said that it would be no problem and there would only be an issue if I been fired. (which I stupidly did not get in writing).

I handed in my resignation and worked the one week notice that I had been asked to give and everything seemed fine.

It was only after I started working for the new company that my old employees contacted my new employees and told them that I will now have no access to the site, and I am now left fearing the worst.

If my new employees do not choose to keep me on after the trial period because of this can I take legal action against my original employees?

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

The given reason is security concerns. As I have an insider knowledge (obviously) of the companies workings.

However, the areas where I would be working are all under constant CCTV coverage and I will be accompanied at all times by a member of staff in a supervisory capacity (this is standard company policy).

I am no more a risk than any of the other contractors doing the same job as me.

Only that they are trying to sort this issue out.

My concern is that I will be left jobless after/during the probationary period because of my ex-employers actions and my inability to carry out duties on that site.

The given reason is security concerns. As I have an insider knowledge (obviously) of the companies workings.

However, the areas where I would be working are all under constant CCTV coverage and I will be accompanied at all times by a member of staff in a supervisory capacity (this is standard company policy).

I am no more a risk than any of the other contractors doing the same job as me.

My thoughts are;

1) your new employer is aware of the issue

2) you will be accompanied on visits so you are therefore protected from any allegations

This seems like a case of sour grapes on the part of the previous employer (maybe they are annoyed at losing an experienced employee)

The new employer doesn't seem to have a problem with the issue and its not like you'll only be going to that site.

I would hold your head high, you've done nothing wrong.

Just be aware of your conduct/behaviour when at that particular site so as not to give your old employer any excuse to complain about you.

All the best in your new job!

Edited by Gbarbm
spelling mistake

Gbarbm