investigatory meeting at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Can anyone help, can you be called a liar at an investigatory meeting at work ? A number of staff have a grievance and want to put this to senior management this has been done before and nothing came of it is this allowed by law for management to ignore staff? Is there anybody that will listen and possibly speak to management on our behalf.

Thank you

Sounds a difficult situation. Have you put the grievance in writing?

Maybe a few of you with similar issues each write a grievance and have it heard? the more people that complain, the more serious it should be taken.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

If your employer is alleging an act of gross misconduct and you are subsequently dismissed, calling you a liar during an investigatory meeting would indicate that the decision was a foregone conclusion, and the disciplinary process a sham, which could render any subsequent dismissal unfair.

Failing to address a grievance raised by an employee could be unlawful. Collective grievances are exempt from the ACAS Code of Practice, but they should still seek guidance from this if there is no collective grievance procedure in place at the company. If they do continually ignore grievances which expressly request that they are dealt with formally, it could be a breach of trust and confidence (and therefore a constructive dismissal), but these are not easy claims to bring and that one event alone would probably not be enough to rely on to win such a claim.

I believe a number of staff have been called liars because they cannot get the info they looking for. The collective grievance was to protect staff as they are worried for their jobs. Would whistleblowing be the way to go? Thanks again

so they have called people liars? what is there reasoning for this?

If you cannot raise a grievance and get it adequately answered then this could be seen as a repuditory breach that goes to the heart of the contract.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

I believe a number of staff have been called liars because they cannot get the info they looking for. The collective grievance was to protect staff as they are worried for their jobs. Would whistleblowing be the way to go? Thanks again

unless the whistle blowing is for the following you

WILL NOT HAVE PROTECTED DISCLOSURE STATUS

give ACAS a call, its free and in confidence for advice before considering "whistle blowing" legislation

A criminal offence

The breach of a legal obligation

A miscarriage of justice

A danger to the health and safety of any individual

Damage to the environment

Deliberate attempt to conceal any of the above

• 11 months later...

Can anyone help ...Is there anybody that will listen and possibly speak to management on our behalf?

Yes, there is.

Employment law McKenzie Friends are well placed to do exactly that. Employees do not automatically have the right under law to be accompanied by A Mckenzie Friend at a workplace meeting but some employers have allowed this in certain situations, however, the granting of such a request would be at the sole discretion of the employer. The point at which McKenzie Friends become involved is very much a matter of choice for the employee, typically, McKenzie Friends work with employees from the start of employment offering help and support on contractual issues, raising a grievance, attending investigation meetings, surviving disciplinary hearings and appeals. McKenzie Friends then continue that help and support all the way through the Employment Tribunals where they can sit next to you and assist you with your case. McKenzie Friends are not permitted to address an Employment Tribunal or higher court unless invited to do so by a Judge, they can however help you to prepare for any investigation, grievance, disciplinary or appeal hearing. They can also quietly advise you on what to say and do at an Employment Tribunal hearing or higher civil court. Some employment law McKenzie Friends are strictly pro-employee and do not help employers in any way.