EON has been ripping me off for years on Electric

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

EON been ripping me off for years on Electric.

I asked EON to change my pre-payment meters to pay monthly after taking over the account from the mrs because her credit score was not as good as mine. They said I would have to be with them 1 year before i could change to monthly direct debit.

No after finding this out I went to a faverite site of everyones go comapire.com, any way cut a long story short I was switching to NPOWER when the sales girl started quoting me figures for a standard meter on pre-pay, I then asked her to hold while I dug out the EON's prices. As there was a difference i told the Npower sales rep what I was currently on, she then tells me I am on an Economy 7 meter, I said can't be we dont have storage heaters ect.

She then checks the central database and read out my meters serial number which I then confirmed as correct, where she then tells me its not a standard rate pre-pay but is on Economy 7.

Anyway i now switched to Npower and after hanging up the phone I was stright on the phone to EON to ask them why I was on the wrong tariff.

The CSR at EON was quite helpfully and said yes I was on Economy7 and I was due a refund, unfortunalty for me I put the energy bills into my name on 13 Feb 2012, She then put me through to her supervisor and I then explained what I had found out, with a promise that she will ring me Tuesday at the latest after checking both mine and the wifes accounts if we are due a refund.

We have been paying about £20-£25 a week on electric depending on time of the year, with the usual electrical devices : computer, washing machine, tumble dryer, tvs and game console ect ect and electric cooker. in that time from 13th feb till mid march they say I have paid about £10 to much.

Now why I am posting this is please check your meters, if It says 2 different rates you are on economy7 (If you have storage heaters u r on E7) so check to make sure you have the correct meter installed / rate

At a ruff guess I recon we have paid about £400-£500 to much over the years we was with them. The CSR superviser at EON said we should have notified them when we moved in that we did not have the correct meter installed, LOL how are we to know the incorrect meter was installed we did a house exchange after all.

I'll keep you posted as to the resualts of any refunds, but am not holding my breath from what the supervisor was saying

Hi,thats a good point you ve made there about eco 7 tariffs.They can be cheaper but you would have to use about 20% of your energy approx to make it pay.the day rate on these meters is loaded so people on prepays which are set for eco 7 are paying the dearest electric possible, being on standard tariff ( the most expensive) plus the double whammy of a l.oaded day rate.I am a meter reader and I do point this out to people when i spot this as they never seem to be aware of it as you have to do a lot of scrolling thro the meters menu to spot it. On my handheld computer I can see its asking me to collect 2 readings which tells me its an eco 7 set up.Screen "H" will show the day reading in KWHs, and screen "J" will show the night reading in KWHs.so if your prepay has those on it get onto your supplier for a possible refund

Yes you are correct Screen J shows the Night rate (E7) when I court on was when they quoted me about £406.87 estamated when I normally put in £20 a week on avg which works out £1040 a year. So you can imagine why I was questioning NPOWER's tariff.

I spoke to my next door neibour today, shes on a paymonthly and she is also putting about £20 a week in the meter via direct debit, she also has about the sam amount of electricals (3 kids).

When I checked this morning EON have still not altered the flaming tariff

Hi cuncannon

I'm sorry you feel we didn't charge you correctly whilst you were with us.

Although Economy 7 meters are particularly suited to all electric properties with storage heaters, they can also be used with different types of heating system. They give 7 hours of cheaper rate electricity at night for all appliances and can be beneficial to people with lifestyles/appliances that suit electricity used during these times.

For instance, people who have high usage electrical appliances like tumble dryers, dishwashers, washing machines etc can use timers to take advantage of the cheaper off peak rates.

In some properties, customers have had storage heaters replaced with other types of heaters but not changed the meter. This is ok with us because we can put customers on a single rate tariff even though they have an Economy 7 meter. All we do is add the two rates together and charge as a single rate.

Often, though, people don't tell us of changes so we'll continue to charge as before.

If you asked us at any time to go on to a single rate tariff but we failed to do this, then you certainly have a case for a refund. I suspect this is what we're looking at.

One thing that puzzles me, though. In your second post, you say we haven't altered the tariff. As we're no longer your supplier, it won't be us who does this. It will be down to your new supplier who will send you a new key to download their prices on to the meter. Have they sent you a new key yet?

Again, I'm sorry Economy 7 didn't suit you but hope the above makes it a little clearer why it's not only customers who have storage heaters who benefit from this type of set up.

Malc

I had only just switched to the new company for electric and gas, which said can take upto 6 weeks for the switch.

Till I get a new key I still have to use yours, as far as I know going back 15 years (spoke to previous tenent) this property has never had E7or storage heaters.

Most of our power usage is during the day, so a cheaper night taffif don't apply, I am still awaiting the £314 refund that I was told that i am owed in an over payment to you. When I E7 tariff I was toping up about £1040 a year. I am hoping that with the new taraiff that I only have to put in £15 a week now or less.