Shoplifting from Tesco - genuine mistake

Lizzie12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a horrendous morning this morning, and I am so worried about it I can't stop thinking about it. I went to Tesco for an optician's appointment, arrived early so bought a few items of clothes from the store, then took my bought goods in the bag to the opticians appointment. On my way out I saw some reduced sale make up, and picked up a £1.50 lip gloss (just had it in my hand as I had no basket). I then went to the flowers section to choose some flowers for my mum for Mother's Day, spent ages deliberating over them, then took them to the self checkout to pay. By this time I'd completely forgotten about the lipgloss; I had my hands full with flowers and the other bag and was messing around trying to find car keys, purse etc. I must have dropped the lip gloss into my bag though, very stupid but completely accidentally. After walking out of the shop, a security guard stopped me and asked about the make up - I knew straight away what he meant, but had genuinely no idea whether I still had it on me, in my pocket or bag or anything. I panicked and bagan searching everything and found it in my carrier bag. I was so shaken and embarrassed and immediately explained it was a mistake etc, but he took me to a small room at the back of the shop.

I tearfully explained what had happened to the store manager (at least I think it was the manager) and he told me I'd have to wait while he checked the CCTV footage. I was waiting there for about 30 mins, in a complete panic, terrified I'd be arrested (I'm not a natural rebel and have never been in trouble for anything before!) I asked to ring my husband, but he wouldn't let me. I gave my name and address to a shop assistant but didn't have my driving license on me so couldn't confirm it. I told them I am a teacher and gave the name of my school. The shop assistant was apologetic and sympathetic and told me that "these things happen" when I kept apologising. Eventually he came back and interrogated me for a while, telling me he could call the police etc etc and the CCTV footage showed the lipgloss had "gone into my bag" while I was looking at flowers. I told him I would never steal anything, let alone a £1.50 lipgloss when I'd spent more than £20 on clothes and flowers.

He eventually said that he did believe me, and let me go (after I'd paid for the lipgloss), but had taken a record of my name, address and school. I didn't sign anything and I have no idea what he is planning on doing with this data. I'm so worried that there could be repercussions from this and that my data could be added to a database or passed on to the police, or my employer. I told my husband when I got home and he was livid that they hadn't let me call him as he says they had no right to stop me, and he wanted to make a complaint to the store. I wouldn't let him because I just want to forget the whole thing ever happened. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed, and actually can't stop crying (ridiculuous I know).

Sorry for the long and rambling post, but I'm so worried about what will happen now. My husband says they can't and won't do anything, but do you think they'll take further action against me?

Hi and welcome to CAG

Stop fretting (easy to say- I know)

The fact is you spent loads of money there so why would you steal a lip gloss worth £1.50. That is what Tesco have seen as well and if they were going to take it further, they would have banned you from the store.

I don't believe they will do anything further and if the police were going to be involved, they would have called them.

If you (or your husband) want to take it further, that is your prerogative but in my opinion, have ONE stiff drink then move on. No harm no foul.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you both for your advice. That's exactly what I'm going to try to do. Went into a shop this morning and was so paranoid, double and triple checking that I'd handed everything over and checking my receipt! So I suppose if nothing else this has taught me a lesson to be more careful in future. Thanks again.

Only the Tesco staff have committed a crime here. There was no intent on your part and that is obvious so you have not committed an offence. They however have committed the offence of false imprisonment (if they would not let you leave and/or call your husband) and if they touched you then possibly common assault.

However to pursue it would be an uphill battle as the police would probably show little interest and it would only add stress. As others have said, probably best left, but rest assured you did no wrong in the eyes of the law but they did.

Clearly just a mistake. As people have said, it makes no sense for you to spend £20 in the store then steal a £1.50 lipgloss. They didn't call the police right then so I don't see why they would further down the line. Maybe they took your details just incase you were to 'steal' again, which you obviously wont be and obviously didn't in the first place.