Bought mobile 6 months ago from Cash Converters - IMEI Blacklisted on Saturday

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a mobile phone from CC about 6 months ago now, it was fine at the time. I checked it before I bought it, everything was good to go.

Until this weekend! The phone has now been blacklisted. Now, there are only two reasons this can happen, as you know. That the phone has been reported lost or stolen. And furthermore, there are only two people who would have been able to do this. Either myself, with my current provider as they have solid proof of my SIM being connected to the IMEI (the security serial number) of the phone, or the original owner, as they would have the paperwork relating to the phone and its original purchase.

I bought it for quite a good price from Crap Convertors, I was under the impression it was an unclaimed pawn. Nothing new in a shop like that. What I'm thinking that may have happen recently though, is that the person who sold it to CC has pulled an insurance jobby, and told their mobile network that the phone has been lost/stolen. This may get them a nice new phone, but it has left me with a non working phone. It can only be the original owner, the networks don;t just let you give them any old IMEI and bar it, they do checks.

But I do not intend to be out of pocket here!! What are m rights in relation to Cash Converters? I'm straight down there tomorrow asking for a refund but what if they try to say "it's out of warranty" etc? Surely there is no such defense when they have sold me a phone that has subsequently been blocked? I can't see anything on Google in this respect, I don't know which bits of Trade law relate to such an event.

And if CC still want to muck about, should I report this to the police? Surely a fraud has been committed by the original seller of the phone here?

The network may have blocked for non payment. Id see what Cash Convertors say. They have a duty to ensure that they sold in good faith, I can't see them having problem refunding or chasing. They will chase up person who sold it as they have that persons details. Otherwise Trading Standards. Not sure what CSOGA says about this but you could google it

• 2 weeks later...

I would speak to the network that blocked the IMEI and advise them that you purchased the mobile from CC, and you'd be happy to provide a receipt to prove so - assuming you still have it!

It also could be a mistake on the networks behalf! Or as you say, an insurance [problem] by the original owner.

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Any update?

If the phone was/is stolen you are entitled to a full refund, without condition, under the Sale of Goods Act. You may need to get police involved though (but really Cash Converters should do that themselves). Have you been in to see them? This can't be the first time and I would assume they have a mechanism for dealing with it.

I don't think the phone is "stolen" as the OP said it was working fine when he bought the handset and has been until recently.

What I think has happened is that the original owner sold the phone to Cash Converters and didn't collect it. The OP bought the phone, legitimately. The original owner then decided to report the phone as stolen, either because it was't at Cash Converters or so he could make a "fraudulent" insurance claim. Which causes the Network Operator to suspend the IMEI and block it.

As such, I don't think Cash Converters are at fault, however, they may have a process in place when such a situation like this occurs.

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

• 3 months later...

I bought a phone in April from cash converters for my son. He really wanted to have a Blackberry phone (old model), so he saved and sold some of his old bric-a-brac and CC sold him a BB phone.

The sales assistant suggested I take out their insurance and I paid upfront for the full year. Unfortunately, my son's phone was stolen from his school bag while at school a little while ago and contacted the insurers, the police and mobile phone provider. CC's inurance company is also called Supercovers. They sent me a form which I filled in and asked for evidence of the purchase which shows the IMEI number.

Upon inspection of the Cash Converters receipt I noticed that it did not have the IMEI number written/ printed on there. I contacted CC asking them to email me a copy of the number on their records. Never in a million years did I think that they would come back to me with a totally alien IMEI number! I was so confused. Luckily, I contacted the mobile phone provider (of the missing phone) and they confirmed that the IMEI number which I had recorded was indeed the one which they had on their system for my son's mobile phone number. They will be sending me written confirmation of this (about 5 working days).

I have since replied to Cash Converters , and informed them of the above. I have not heard from them as yet. I find it quite upsetting how they have mis-handled my information. First by selling insurance to customers for mobile phones and not recording the IMEI numbers on the receipt (even though it is required to process a claim)! And for not keeping accurate information!

I am expecting the worst now.. In the event that CC insists on the incorrect IMEI I am sure that the insurance claim will go nowhere. If this happens I do intend to follow this through. I'm not sure how yet and who to complain to... Fingers crossed they actually get their act sorted out!!