filling out a B16

JSAye
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am currently claiming JSA, although that is due to end a week monday, thank god. I did a one-off freelance job doing copywriting from home for one day, which I declared the £100 I earned to the Jobcentre. I thought that was the end of it, but apparently nobody explained to me that I needed to fill a B16 form until about six weeks after the fact; they also suspended my claim without notification until I send in the form. As a result, I have not been paid JSA for the entirety of 2012 so far! The problem is that 90% of this form seems irrelevant to my case, from declaring business assets and accounts to talking about breaks in employment to submitting profit/loss balance sheets, when all I did was do a day's work; this is not an ongoing source of income nor am I running business. In fact, I can declare this income to HMRC without registering as self-employed, as the tax return allows me to claim one-off freelance income as "other income" for the purposes of taxation

While luckily, I will be signing off next week to start work, I'd rather not have the DWP chasing me for overpayment, should they claim that I failed to disclose, despite the fact that I told them about the income (I'd also like my arrears!). Does anyone have any advice for filling for this form out from the perspective of a one-off freelance job, and what evidence I should submit?

(I can't link the form)

Edited by JSAye

Is this the form you're talking about?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/b16.pdf&sa=U&ei=4RdKT_7yEoOt8QOTxYi3Dg&ved=0CBEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNH6vukeK7xPhgWMnwtjyt7SmCXgQg

If so I see what you mean. It's more suited for somebody who's been in full time self employment rather then a one off, single day claim.

You dont have to supply any evidence,

fill out the form as if you have no buisness, you dont

state on the form that you are not self employed

and in the note box at the end state it was a one off job that was paid cash..

and your have notified HMRC,

at the worst your claim would be nil for a week,

You dont have to supply any evidence,

fill out the form as if you have no buisness, you dont

state on the form that you are not self employed

and in the note box at the end state it was a one off job that was paid cash..

and your have notified HMRC,

at the worst your claim would be nil for a week,

Thanks for the clarification!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update: I've started working now, and when I closed my JSA claim for the 5th March, I was issued a letter that day and received on the 9th saying that I can no longer claim due to working over 16 hours a week etc. and that the amount of arrears owed to me since this whole B16 business would be paid into my bank account. I had sent off the B16 form a week before that. But there's no sign of this money being paid into my account yet. Is there a certain amount of time it takes to process and pay my arrears, or do I have to go through the tiresome process of chasing these people around for my money?