Help with Lowells Portfolio I

bumpersuze
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2005 I went to uni and got the usual student account with an overdraft limit of £1000 as most students around me did

the next year I changed to another bank that was offering a larger overdraft.

I did not touch the first bank account as I forgot about it (uni was hard for me and my mental health suffered I forgot about a lot of things).

I left uni but stayed in that town and I never heard anything from the first except once about a credit card which i paid off.

In 2009 I moved back to my hometown after my mental health went completely downhill and although other debts contacted me I still heard nothing from the first bank.

I paid off the other debts with small monthly payments and last year I decided to check my credit report which was not brilliantly good but was fair.

I was moving around a lot due to a housing issue I had and at one point was staying at my mums for a week.

I am now settled, debt free (almost one debt to go) and happy until my mum tells the other day that her friend next door had a received a letter in my name

and my mum had opened it and it was from Lowells Portfolio I chasing after the debt of the first bank.

The 6 year statute barred (not sure on spelling) is nearly up and as the letter was not sent to my address do I have to acknowledge it?

also this is the first communication I've had about the account in almost 6 years.

any advice?

2005 its now 2012 so its over the 6 years this is statue barred. The letter that was sent was a begging letter I have had one from a sister company of lowells in the past send them Letter M http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?590-Creditors-and-DCAs-Letter-Templates-Budget-Planner as this debt probely is statue barred lowell seem to specialize in this kind of debt they can generally buy it for 1p to the pound or even less i have heard so if they make even a few quid off it then they have made their money back. Fire off that letter PRINT do NOT sign your name and send it recorded delivery.

The main question I have is because the letter was not sent to my current address should I have acknowledged the letter? my mum threw the letter in bin once I told her what I thought it was so all I got was the company name and who they bought the debt from

The main question I have is because the letter was not sent to my current address should I have acknowledged the letter? my mum threw the letter in bin once I told her what I thought it was so all I got was the company name and who they bought the debt from

No - if it is Stat Barred then nothing they do can alter that, and if they were daft enough to issue proceedings then you have an absolute defence.

Wait and see if they write again. If they do then tell them to do one.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Was this letter an actual demand for payment or was it a polite thing referring to 'Your Lowell Account' and asking you to contact them to discuss? If the latter it's just a phishing letter to see if you can still be contacted through an old address because they have no idea where you are.

Lowell often do this sort of thing with student debt where a parent's address was given at the time but they don't actually know where the debtor lives now. Unless there is something to tie you to your mum's address (electoral role registration etc) it's very likely that this will be the last you hear of it.

What I gathered from my mums phone call was the letter stated that Lowells had bought the debt and wished to discuss payment. Far as I'm aware I was last registered to vote in 2010 and I was registered to my mums address. I have decided to leave Lowells for now until they write to my correct address I'm not dealing with them