NatWest & CIFAS First Party Fraud Entry Please Help

Sprice63
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son opened an account with NatWest a couple of years ago when he was 16 and was mainly using it for his weekend wages. Last May he realised that his debit card was missing and called the bank to report it when he was told that his account has been closed. They would not give him any reason and did not notify him of this in writing. He thought nothing of this at the time and thought the account closure was related to the loss of his debit card; also there were no funds in his account at the time.

He started uni last September and tried opening a student account with HSBC. The account was opened and then closed the day after. We then went to Lloyds who also declined his apploication but was advised to come back and reapply after three months. Meanwhile we applied for his credit file with all the CRAs and discovered that several attempts were made in May 2011 to obtain credit in his name, correct address but with the wrong date of birth and time at address. These were investigated by Experian and removed from his file.

We then went back to NatWest to explain that my son had been a victim of id fraud and provided evidence that these fraudulent transactions have been removed from his file. His application was aagain declined and was told that not only would they not open a student account for him but no account facility will be provided. We were at a loss at this stage as to what was going on and decided to write a letter of complaint to the bank and are still awaiting a response.

Meanwhile we went back to Lloyds who were fully aware of my son's situation, provided evidence again that the fraudulent transactions have been deleted. We had also put a CIFAS protective registration for my son and we have also reported the fraudulent activity on his credit file to the police via action fraud.

LLoyds informed us that whilst my son's credit file had been corrected , there still remains some adverse information held by CIFAS and we should send a SAR to CIFAS to find out and sort out. We just received his SAR from CIFAS to discover that NatWest had entered a First Party Fraud against him alleging that an attempt was made to pay in a 'false instrument' into his account. This entry was filed by NatWest in July 2011. NatWest never informed my son that there was some suspected fraudulent activity on his account and only found out that his account was closed when he called them to report his missing debit card.

We now want to start the process of complaining to NatWest about the CIFAS fraud entry to have that removed. Any assistance you can provide in how best to approach getting the CIFAS fraud warning removed will be greatly appreciated. As you can imagine this is all very distressing for my son and the rest of the family as this is the last thing you want to be contending with when you are 18 and just starting uni. Would it also be helpful to send a SAR to NatWest before complaing about the CIFAS entry or should we do both at the same time. Many thanks for your assistance.

Have you been to the CIFAS website?